ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Lawyer advice ... wrongful termination?

j0nnyHB

HB Heisman
Jun 15, 2002
Sorry, I know this is way off topic, but was hoping to get some decent advice from the Lounge instead of taking my chances in the wild west of the OT board ;-).

I have a close friend who has worked for a company in MN for over 25 years. This company ranks employee's and will hand out a % of lower rankings every year. This person had recently changed jobs within the company (new job started in March), and received a lower ranking in the new position. This was the 1st and only lower ranking "Alan" had ever got (Alan is 48 years old). Alan never received any negative feedback about his performance until December of last year when his manager was discussing the ranking system and said it was possible he may get a lower ranking this year. Upon getting the lower ranking, he was put on an improvement plan for 30 days to see if he can get his performance up to an acceptable level. Alan thinks this 30 days went well, and his manager has indicated he was doing well during this time. If his manager deems his performance was good enough, he moves forward (under a kind of probation for a year), otherwise he receives an unsatisfactory rating and he can take a severance package or try again to get his performance up (obviously an up hill battle).

Should Alan NOT get a satisfactory rating for his 30 day improvement period, does he have any case for being wrongfully terminated? Maybe this is just the way things work and he cannot do anything about it.

Thanks in advance for any advice I can pass along!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News