ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Looks like Lincoln Riley brought his Big 12 OU defense with him to PAC 12

If they continue to tackle the way they did last night, they will not be in the same tier with OSU, Michigan, and PSU. They just won’t.

If they were to trot out that 6’6” 200 lb linebacker against the Goophs in minus ten wind chill Minneapolis, Ibrahim would run for 4 bills.

Dude, they’re going to have ridiculous talent all over the field. But the B1G was going to have to adjust to Scott Flop’s Oregon offense at Nebber, remember? How’d that turn out? Until Riley shows he can place as much emphasis on Defense as he does on his bright and shiny Offense, I’m not about to anoint them as kings of the B1G just yet.
I didn't anoint him king of the Big 10. I put him in with what I consider the top 4 teams in the Big 10. I realize his defense is lacking but despite weak defenses he finished top 10 every year at Oklahoma and even with a bowl loss will likely finish top 15 his first year at USC.

After Nebraska got rid of Pelini who won at least 9 games every year they have not been near as good. As for Scott Frost he had a two year coaching career before Nebraska in a non power five conference. Riley's record is by far better and he was in the Big 12 playing at Kansas schools and ISU where November can also be cold, I hope it impacts the West coast teams and we will see in a couple of years.

Reactions: cmhawks99
I didn't anoint him king of the Big 10. I put him in with what I consider the top 4 teams in the Big 10. I realize his defense is lacking but despite weak defenses he finished top 10 every year at Oklahoma and even with a bowl loss will likely finish top 15 his first year at USC.

After Nebraska got rid of Pelini who won at least 9 games every year they have not been near as good. As for Scott Frost he had a two year coaching career before Nebraska in a non power five conference. Riley's record is by far better and he was in the Big 12 playing at Kansas schools and ISU where November can also be cold, I hope it impacts the West coast teams and we will see in a couple of years.

The ultimate point being, even the BigW will be more challenging than what he faced and he HAS to play WAY better defense. Not just better!

I mean he played 41-28 vs 3-9 Stanford, 45-37 vs 5-7 AZ, 41-35 vs 4-8 Cal…

They weren’t dominating teams, just out scoring them. You honestly think they’ll beat Iowa, Wiscy, even a Minne or a rejuvenated Illinois in the Midwest like that. Teams that will put it in the deep freeze and run, run, run!!! Those PAC teams all play like USC!

The ultimate point being, even the BigW will be more challenging than what he faced and he HAS to play WAY better defense. Not just better!

I mean he played 41-28 vs 3-9 Stanford, 45-37 vs 5-7 AZ, 41-35 vs 4-8 Cal…

They weren’t dominating teams, just out scoring them. You honestly think they’ll beat Iowa, Wiscy, even a Minne or a rejuvenated Illinois in the Midwest like that. Teams that will put it in the deep freeze and run, run, run!!! Those PAC teams all play like USC!
We will know more after the bowl games as most teams only play one Power 5 non-conference team. Wisc lost to Washington State who was 4-5 in conference and Minn beat a 1-11 Colorado. USC beat three ranked teams including a non- conference Notre Dame.

USC improved from 4-8 last year to 11 wins this year that is one great improvement likely the best of all power 5 schools. Can they improve more in coming years? They were knocking on the door to the CFPs while no West team has since 2015-2017.

I think they would have won the West this year. Last year the West was much stronger with 4 teams with 9+ wins. Could this years USC team win the West last year? Much more difficult and would also depend on who they played from the East. I think they would have been in the mix.

You seem to think the PAC is a much weaker conference while they have 6 ranked teams this year I think they have been weaker over the last several years. Do they have strong defenses no. Two years from now we will have an idea of how they factor in the new Big10.

One of my concerns is Big 10 teams playing in LA as I am afraid that we will see allot of late starts for TV. A 6
o clock start in LA is 9 in the East which means the game would end at 12 eastern time. Normal 7 o clock starts would be even worse. How will they accommodate eastern vs west coast TV audiences.

We will know more after the bowl games as most teams only play one Power 5 non-conference team. Wisc lost to Washington State who was 4-

One of my concerns is Big 10 teams playing in LA as I am afraid that we will see allot of late starts for TV. A 6
o clock start in LA is 9 in the East which means the game would end at 12 eastern time. Normal 7 o clock starts would be even worse. How will they accommodate eastern vs west coast TV audiences.

Yes, I’m also concerned with that!! But I don’t see any way possible that an intelligent West coast coach isn’t super worried about playing in the Midwest. Let alone in late October and November!

That’s kind of my point!!

Reactions: spiderland
I am not as optimistic as you they are, USC is a two loss top 10 team. Riley had a excellent run at Oklahoma and could due better in the talent rich LA area. This is he's first year there. If USC and UCLA is on our schedule unless we drop OSU, Mich, or PSU our schedule will be likely be more difficult.
Ya something about a 60 something and 10 career record coach turning around a program that was 4-8 last year and ran into the gutter by an ex-coach even the Ferentz’s could out coach.

I am looking forward to having the 2 teams out west in the B1G, especially for a November game in Iowa, Wisconsin or Minnesota.
But what if the weather is nice. Like it is a lot of the time. Is punting winning ?

Does anyone think the conference will try as hard as they can to protect USC and UCLA from playing out this way in November. USC and UCLA already will have that protected rivalry game they play at the end of November. I can see them playing a few late home games to avoid too many trips this way in the cold.

Does anyone think the conference will try as hard as they can to protect USC and UCLA from playing out this way in November. USC and UCLA already will have that protected rivalry game they play at the end of November. I can see them playing a few late home games to avoid too many trips this way in the cold.
They will protect that SC/ND rival game too. It’s not exactly pay to play but LA schools will be taken care of like Big 10 bell cows, Michigan and OhioSt. They brought a lot of money to the new conference.

OIP.0rC-V77ZDLLRMll52Hmz8gHaOd
OIP.xfc-Fsx4bsIzF-JEp4jsPQHaIw
OIP.uf86OqG3qp_NR4VdBv-9kQHaEK
OIP.ymCb6uAs3vBqSiIJwQnjewHaE8

How did they shut down ND’s Big 10 like run game ? Like other CCG, it’s tough playing so many games in short order. Michigan looked flat until Purdue couldn’t tackle anymore, Edwards broke seven tackles on that TD run ! seven, awful tackling.

The display of “tackling” (if that’s what you want to call it) that USC put on last night was the worst I can remember seeing by any P5 team, let alone the supposed #4 team in the country. At least three Utah touchdowns shouldn’t have been touchdowns except for the piss poor effort by numerous Trojans to allegedly keep the Utah player out of the end zone. Riley either doesn’t teach these kids the fundamentals of tackling, plays uber-athletes who are more interested in making the highlight reel play (they mentioned that SC leads the conference, and maybe the country, I don’t recall, in INTs) than in playing stout defense, or some combination of the two. Regardless, until he changes his philosophy and places some emphasis on that phase of the game, he won’t ever accomplish much come December and January.
Did you see Purdue ‘s tackling effort on Edwards run last night! seven missed tackles in one play! In the Big 10! That was the worst display I’ve seen this year.

ADVERTISEMENT