ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Looks like Lincoln Riley brought his Big 12 OU defense with him to PAC 12

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
Wow. Utah scores 40+ in both games against USC this year. After Utah beat USC the first time I was surprised to see Utah lose a couple more games.

I think the utes had 7 points at halftime so USC gives up 40 in the 2nd and I saw a little of the game and in the 2nd half Utah way more physical on both sides of the ball.

I will be interested to see what USC and Ucla do in their bowl games and next year prior to joining the Big 10.

Wow. Utah scores 40+ in both games against USC this year. After Utah beat USC the first time I was surprised to see Utah lose a couple more games.

I think the utes had 7 points at halftime so USC gives up 40 in the 2nd and I saw a little of the game and in the 2nd half Utah way more physical on both sides of the ball.

I will be interested to see what USC and Ucla do in their bowl games and next year prior to joining the Big 10.
Last night it was tied at 17 at halftime. After the 1st quarter, Utah outscored USC 44-10. USC's defense is garbage.

Fyi
Utah put 45 on ohio state in the rose bowl. Lost but they can score.

Fyi
Utah put 45 on ohio state in the rose bowl. Lost but they can score.
OSU has a much better defense in 2022. Allowed 60 less YPG in 2022 and 1.65 fewer PPG. 6 of the 12 teams they played scored 14 points or less and all but 3 were less than 30, One at 30 and one at 31 points and then the Michigan game that did not help their stats when they scored 45 and put 530 yards on them.

OIP.0rC-V77ZDLLRMll52Hmz8gHaOd
OIP.xfc-Fsx4bsIzF-JEp4jsPQHaIw
OIP.uf86OqG3qp_NR4VdBv-9kQHaEK
OIP.ymCb6uAs3vBqSiIJwQnjewHaE8

USC Defensive Front 4

Last night it was tied at 17 at halftime. After the 1st quarter, Utah outscored USC 44-10. USC's defense is garbage.

Don’t tell the fellas telling how USC is going to “walk” the big 10 west in a couple years.

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
Don’t tell the fellas telling how USC is going to “walk” the big 10 west in a couple years.
I am not as optimistic as you they are, USC is a two loss top 10 team. Riley had a excellent run at Oklahoma and could due better in the talent rich LA area. This is he's first year there. If USC and UCLA is on our schedule unless we drop OSU, Mich, or PSU our schedule will be likely be more difficult.

can you imagine a schedule w/ USC, UCLA,Mich, Ohio St. on it.Good games but could be brutal also.
You don't have to imagine it. Go back and look at Iowa's schedules from around 1961 through at least 1985. In 1973, Iowa's only modern-era winless season, Iowa opened with #5 Michigan, #18 UCLA, and #6 Penn State. These were typical of Hawkeye schedules for over 20 years and were a significant factor in the 20 years of nonwinning seasons. Here's the full 1973 schedule and results under Head Coach Frank Lauterbur:

I am not as optimistic as you they are, USC is a two loss top 10 team. Riley had a excellent run at Oklahoma and could due better in the talent rich LA area. This is he's first year there. If USC and UCLA is on our schedule unless we drop OSU, Mich, or PSU our schedule will be likely be more difficult.

O-Line, RBs and defense…! You don’t know this but Riley’s OU teams inexplicably lost 1 game ever year to a double digit Dog..

And although you also don’t know this and I agree Riley, we’ll pump the talent up on that USC team, they currently only have 20 NFLers (OU 31) and he’s never been known for sending big Time defensive talent to the NFL or ever playing big time defense.

We for the record have 33 and if you buy into recruiting ranking we have dramatically upped our game in recent years from mid-40s to mid 20s to mid 30s!

Last edited:

Lol..Truth!

I am not as optimistic as you they are, USC is a two loss top 10 team. Riley had an excellent run at Oklahoma and could due better in the talent rich LA area. This is he's first year there. If USC and UCLA is on our schedule unless we drop OSU, Mich, or PSU our schedule will be likely be more difficult.
That’s the way I see it with Riley. He just got there and took a team from 4-8 to 11-2 in year one. He can literally drive an hour/2 hours in any direction from his home and rake in a top 5-10 recruiting class.

• Wow
Reactions: Dr.PhilSuess
I am sure Riley won't recruit well and improve, it was his first season.

You do know there will be no Big 10 West, correct?

You do know I talked about Riley improving recruiting below this thought, right ?

Actually, Riley didn't need to bring his B12 defense. USC (University for Spoiled Children) defense was already poor under Helton.

Maybe Utah should be in the playoffs instead of OSU?

This talk of the Big 12 playing no defense is a tired narrative. I’m not saying they’re all iron curtains, but there’s much better defense being played in that league than the days of RG3 and Mahomes.

Riley’s loyalty to Alex Grinch is puzzling. The THING that has kept Riley’s teams from greater success is defense, and it’s going to be an issue no matter what league he’s in. I saw this tweet last night and thought it was apt:

This talk of the Big 12 playing no defense is a tired narrative. I’m not saying they’re all iron curtains, but there’s much better defense being played in that league than the days of RG3 and Mahomes.

Riley’s loyalty to Alex Grinch is puzzling. The THING that has kept Riley’s teams from greater success is defense, and it’s going to be an issue no matter what league he’s in. I saw this tweet last night and thought it was apt:

I thought only KF was loyal to a fault, oh and Matt Campbell per his fans, oh and Pat Fitzgerald…even though all 3 have moved coaches down the road…

Odd…maybe being loyal is a trait good coaches have 🤔

O-Line, RBs and defense…! You don’t know this but Riley’s OU teams inexplicably lost 1 game ever year to a double digit Dog..

And although you also don’t know this and I agree Riley, we’ll pump the talent up on that USC team, they currently only have 20 NFLers (OU 31) and he’s never been known for sending big Time defensive talent to the NFL or ever playing big time defense.

We for the record have 33 and if you buy into recruiting ranking we have dramatically upped our game in recent years from mid-40s to mid 20s to mid 30s!
Well if the double digit dog is Iowa that will certainly help. He is 66-12 as a head coach. We are not adding Rutgers and Maryland we are adding a 11-2 and 9-3 team. NFLers have very little to do with college ball. Many great college players are too small or slow for the pros. All I am saying is 9-3 and 8-4 seasons could see one or two less wins if the schedule adds the teams out West. Can we beat these teams sure, I believe we have beat every Big 10 team over the last 10 years. The question is can we beat them half the time or better? Unlikely.

• Wow
Well if the double digit dog is Iowa that will certainly help. He is 66-12 as a head coach. We are not adding Rutgers and Maryland we are adding a 11-2 and 9-3 team. NFLers have very little to do with college ball. Many great college players are too small or slow for the pros. All I am saying is 9-3 and 8-4 seasons could see one or two less wins if the schedule adds the teams out West. Can we beat these teams sure, I believe we have beat every Big 10 team over the last 10 years. The question is can we beat them half the time or better? Unlikely.

OK, but I know this; Ohio state, Alabama, Georgia, LSU, who had actually been down for a couple years, have 50ish players in the NFL and they are always the best of the best!

Texas & Oklahoma oddly enough have more numbers like Iowa that’s why, although OU has made some noise in recent years they never even get to “the game”

Besides that, I’m always confused how people snap up one season as their identity.

UCLA has not had near the success Iowa has had in the last 40 years and suddenly they are Juggernaut because they went nine and three this year?

Explain that too me?

Reactions: spiderland
The display of “tackling” (if that’s what you want to call it) that USC put on last night was the worst I can remember seeing by any P5 team, let alone the supposed #4 team in the country. At least three Utah touchdowns shouldn’t have been touchdowns except for the piss poor effort by numerous Trojans to allegedly keep the Utah player out of the end zone. Riley either doesn’t teach these kids the fundamentals of tackling, plays uber-athletes who are more interested in making the highlight reel play (they mentioned that SC leads the conference, and maybe the country, I don’t recall, in INTs) than in playing stout defense, or some combination of the two. Regardless, until he changes his philosophy and places some emphasis on that phase of the game, he won’t ever accomplish much come December and January.

And as usual bring up his 1 loss a year against a big underdog. Like clockwork.
You’re a total dope this message board lambasted Kirk Ferentz I mean lambasted him when they went through that stretch for seven or eight years where we lost to a handful of double digit dogs I know damn good and well you know it… So yes, I will certainly bring up the fact that Oklahoma has lost 11 or so times in the last 10 years. Yes I will bring it up again as well I should.

It likely cost Oklahoma some chances to play in the CFP… Seems pretty relevant, right?

I mean, I doubt you’d be upset if Kirk Ferentz lost one game w year for 10 years to a double digit dog, right… Again dumb dumb dumb!

Last edited:
Reactions: mustang_hawk
The one achilles heel to the Iowa D is offenses like USC and UCLA. Doesn't matter how bad their defenses are if Iowa can't improve on offense.

That said USC's defense was a dumpster fire before Riley arrived. I am more curious how much it improves year 2.

OK, but I know this; Ohio state, Alabama, Georgia, LSU, who had actually been down for a couple years, have 50ish players in the NFL and they are always the best of the best!

Texas & Oklahoma oddly enough have more numbers like Iowa that’s why, although OU has made some noise in recent years they never even get to “the game”

Besides that, I’m always confused how people snap up one season as their identity.

UCLA has not had near the success Iowa has had in the last 40 years and suddenly they are Juggernaut because they went nine and three this year?

Explain that too me?

This is your quote I responded to. I think either UCLA or USC would have won the West this year. I think whey would likely be in the hunt to win the West most years. Oklahoma has as many NFL players as Iowa so Iowa must have underperformed as Riley was 55-10 at Oklahoma in his 5 years winning 12 games 3 times.

UCLA has been down but Chip Kelley has been there 4 non covid years and is 8-4 and 9-3 in his last two. He was 46-7 in 4 years at Oregon. There are plenty of recruits in California for both teams to have great classes. What happened in the last 40 years has little to due with what happens in the next 5, 10, or 40 years. Could either USC or UCLA have bad years in the future maybe but I think it is unlikely for long periods as they have to many recruiting advantages.

Know this OSU, Alabama, Georgia, and LSU are not in the Big 10 West so what does their NFL players have to due with this discussion. Know this the West has never beaten the East in a Championship game. Know this no one from the West has been in a New Years Six bowl this year or last year and no West team has made it to "the game" or the final 4 so why did you bring this up?

Explained

• Wow
You don't have to imagine it. Go back and look at Iowa's schedules from around 1961 through at least 1985. In 1973, Iowa's only modern-era winless season, Iowa opened with #5 Michigan, #18 UCLA, and #6 Penn State. These were typical of Hawkeye schedules for over 20 years and were a significant factor in the 20 years of nonwinning seasons. Here's the full 1973 schedule and results under Head Coach Frank Lauterbur:
Ah the non con of UCLA, Penn State, and Arizona. Before the days of 3 cupcakes to make sure there are 7 home games.

This is your quote I responded to. I think either UCLA or USC would have won the West this year. I think whey would likely be in the hunt to win the West most years. Oklahoma has as many NFL players as Iowa so Iowa must have underperformed as Riley was 55-10 at Oklahoma in his 5 years winning 12 games 3 times.

UCLA has been down but Chip Kelley has been there 4 non covid years and is 8-4 and 9-3 in his last two. He was 46-7 in 4 years at Oregon. There are plenty of recruits in California for both teams to have great classes. What happened in the last 40 years has little to due with what happens in the next 5, 10, or 40 years. Could either USC or UCLA have bad years in the future maybe but I think it is unlikely for long periods as they have to many recruiting advantages.

Know this OSU, Alabama, Georgia, and LSU are not in the Big 10 West so what does their NFL players have to due with this discussion. Know this the West has never beaten the East in a Championship game. Know this no one from the West has been in a New Years Six bowl this year or last year and no West team has made it to "the game" or the final 4 so why did you bring this up?

Explained

So I guess I should give up on Iowa winning much anymore then? Crap…

Oh well, I’ll just go with historical perspectives…Iowa since 1981 has a 25th best Winning percentage, USC 17th and UCLA 33rd.

Of course the PAC 12 has been a real juggernaut in the last 20 years…😜

I don't usually watch USC football, but when I do, they get spanked. The last time I had seen a USC game Iowa was spanking them in the Holiday Bowl.
Thats why I've been amused at all the love here for Riley, that he's going to make them a power again. Maybe, but its most certainly NOT a foregone conclusion.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
You’re a total dope this message board lambasted Kirk Ferentz I mean lambasted him when they went through that stretch for seven or eight years where we lost to a handful of double digit dogs I know damn good and well you know it… So yes, I will certainly bring up the fact that Oklahoma has lost 11 or so times in the last 10 years. Yes I will bring it up again as well I should.

It likely cost Oklahoma some chances to play in the CFP… Seems pretty relevant, right?

I mean, I doubt you’d be upset if Kirk Ferentz lost one game w year for 10 years to a double digit dog, right… Again dumb dumb dumb!
Well as @bradaf just stated he was 55-10 at Oklahoma. I’d take that at Iowa. And made the championship game in his 1st year at USC. And was a game from the playoff. So you be you, a douche bag like you normally are.

• Haha
Well as @bradaf just stated he was 55-10 at Oklahoma. I’d take that at Iowa. And made the championship game in his 1st year at USC. And was a game from the playoff. So you be you, a douche bag like you normally are.

That’s fine with me, I know many of his OU fans opined it wasn’t a big deal losing him because of his record and games like that and his inability to win the big one and I know how little jack asses like you throw a fit every time we lose a game so…in totality I’m certainly glad to be me versus you !

Just sayin…

So I guess I should give up on Iowa winning much anymore then? Crap…

Oh well, I’ll just go with historical perspectives…Iowa since 1981 has a 25th best Winning percentage, USC 17th and UCLA 33rd.

Of course the PAC 12 has been a real juggernaut in the last 20 years…😜
I am not giving up on Iowa and have said nothing to this effect. You can do what you want.

I just think the hill will get steeper adding these two teams. Their winning percentage since 1981 has them both average or in USC's case well above. But again 1981 has nothing to do with today. ISU since 1981 is horrible but in the last 6 years has been to 5 bowl games. While since 1981 Nebraska has a great winning percentage and has not made a bowl game since 2016.

The Pac 12 has 6 teams ranked this year and the two joining the Big 10 in 2024 are both ranked in the top 17. Since you went back 20 years and called the Pac 12 a real juggernaut do you remember USC 2003-2008 when they never finished lower that 3rd in the final AP poll winning two National Championships. And has Iowa ever finished higher in the final AP poll than a Lincoln Riley coached team? Riley finished top 10 all five years at Oklahoma and top 5 twice. I expect he will be very successful at USC as he has in his first year.

How many times has the West had a top 10 team the last 5 years? How can you possibly not see USC as a force in the Big 10 on the level of OSU, Mich, and PSU? UCLA a notch below on the level of MSU, Iowa, Wisc.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
I am not giving up on Iowa and have said nothing to this effect. You can do what you want.

I just think the hill will get steeper adding these two teams. Their winning percentage since 1981 has them both average or in USC's case well above. But again 1981 has nothing to do with today. ISU since 1981 is horrible but in the last 6 years has been to 5 bowl games. While since 1981 Nebraska has a great winning percentage and has not made a bowl game since 2016.

The Pac 12 has 6 teams ranked this year and the two joining the Big 10 in 2024 are both ranked in the top 17. Since you went back 20 years and called the Pac 12 a real juggernaut do you remember USC 2003-2008 when they never finished lower that 3rd in the final AP poll winning two National Championships. And has Iowa ever finished higher in the final AP poll than a Lincoln Riley coached team? Riley finished top 10 all five years at Oklahoma and top 5 twice. I expect he will be very successful at USC as he has in his first year.

How many times has the West had a top 10 team the last 5 years? How can you possibly not see USC as a force in the Big 10 on the level of OSU, Mich, and PSU? UCLA a notch below on the level of MSU, Iowa, Wisc.

I do remember those USC teams, they had 2-3 NFL Rbers on the roster at all times including 6-4 WR everywhere. They also had massive, fast NFL style defenses! This USC team does NOT nor has a Lincoln Riley ever fielded one !

If they continue to tackle the way they did last night, they will not be in the same tier with OSU, Michigan, and PSU. They just won’t.

If they were to trot out that 6’6” 200 lb linebacker against the Goophs in minus ten wind chill Minneapolis, Ibrahim would run for 4 bills.

Dude, they’re going to have ridiculous talent all over the field. But the B1G was going to have to adjust to Scott Flop’s Oregon offense at Nebber, remember? How’d that turn out? Until Riley shows he can place as much emphasis on Defense as he does on his bright and shiny Offense, I’m not about to anoint them as kings of the B1G just yet.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez

For the record, and I am not in any way screwing with you, because I understand what you’re saying! But do you remember those USC teams, they had a year where I think they had seven defensive players drafted in the first three or four rounds and fielded just as good a defense the next year!

I personally don’t think a Lincoln Riley team will ever field a defense like that!! At least they haven’t yet!

Im no Pete Carroll fan, but that dude could recruit and put shit tons of talent on the field. Those teams every much rivaled the current eras Ohio states, Alabama’s & Georgia’s!!!

Those teams wouldn’t just destroy the Big Ten west. They would mostly destroy the big 10!!!!

For the record, and I am not in any way screwing with you, because I understand what you’re saying! But do you remember those USC teams, they had a year where I think they had seven defensive players drafted in the first three or four rounds and fielded just as good a defense the next year!

I personally don’t think a Lincoln Riley team will ever field a defense like that!! At least they haven’t yet!

Im no Pete Carroll fan, but that dude could recruit and put shit tons of talent on the field. Those teams every much rivaled the current eras Ohio states, Alabama’s & Georgia’s!!!

Those teams wouldn’t just destroy the Big Ten west. They would mostly destroy the big 10!!!!
I completely agree with everyone that Riley needs to embrace defense post-haste if they’re ever going to be a NC contender.

But also, his floor is 9-10 win seasons despite being so atrocious on defense. They, like Iowa, are the ultimate “what if” scenarios in CFB.

Reactions: cmhawks99
ADVERTISEMENT