ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Lots of poor NFL officiating;

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
I didnt watch much of the Jags-Chargers game but late in the game a crucial no call on false start followed on the same play by the same guy holding Bosa was a total miss by the officials. You would think false starts could be easily called by the booth replay officials. They can see it live and bring the ball back by buzzing the officials.

That blown call directly led to the Jags finishing a drive and getting to within 2 pts. Of course the Bolts totally blew that game and missed a late field goal, I had no dog in the fight.

A huge PI early contact led to the Fins getting an INT late in the first half and to tie it up. Huge bad calls.

And there was a write up and a lot of discussion about the crew last week that blew about 6 calls down the stretch in favor of the seahawks and against the rams which led to the seahawks winning and the poor effing Lions get left home. Those news articles were very harsh against the league and how they need to really improve there reffing crews.

I know the game is fast but no reason to miss false starts. Missed holding calls always piss me off.
I didnt watch much of the Jags-Chargers game but late in the game a crucial no call on false start followed on the same play by the same guy holding Bosa was a total miss by the officials. You would think false starts could be easily called by the booth replay officials. They can see it live and bring the ball back by buzzing the officials.

That blown call directly led to the Jags finishing a drive and getting to within 2 pts. Of course the Bolts totally blew that game and missed a late field goal, I had no dog in the fight.

A huge PI early contact led to the Fins getting an INT late in the first half and to tie it up. Huge bad calls.

And there was a write up and a lot of discussion about the crew last week that blew about 6 calls down the stretch in favor of the seahawks and against the rams which led to the seahawks winning and the poor effing Lions get left home. Those news articles were very harsh against the league and how they need to really improve there reffing crews.

Can the booth call a penalty (other than targeting)?

I agree officiating is not good. I don't necessarily fault the officials if they get something wrong on a bang bang play......but to still get it wrong after watching it numerous times on a review....that is inexcusable.

False starts, or lack there of, have been no calls all year long. It seems to happen several times a game that the tackles get a half step before the ball is snapped. Makes me wonder if it is coming down from the top of the nfl in another way to protect the qb’s.

Can the booth call a penalty (other than targeting)?

I agree officiating is not good. I don't necessarily fault the officials if they get something wrong on a bang bang play......but to still get it wrong after watching it numerous times on a review....that is inexcusable.
No. The booth can only replay calls, and can't reofficate missed calls........

Reactions: 83Hawk

When you get gambling involved, all kinds of shite happens.

Bills/Phins game was brutal. The worst was the spot near midfield after Waddle’s catch on the last drive. It was a full yard, maybe yard and a half short. And it wasn’t that hard to see he rolled over the defender. Simply poor job by the official. Had a huge impact on the end of the game.

False starts, or lack there of, have been no calls all year long. It seems to happen several times a game that the tackles get a half step before the ball is snapped. Makes me wonder if it is coming down from the top of the nfl in another way to protect the qb’s.
Those NFL teams watched Iowa this year and picked it up...:) I swear we should've had at least 5 per game that weren't called. Wisky OL used to do this frequently.

Reactions: Bishop1971
After watching the Bengals game last evening, I think I found an OLine worse than the Hawk's 2022 version.

Reactions: Bishop1971
No. The booth can only replay calls, and can't reofficate missed calls........
Not entirely true. They can review all scoring plays, turnovers, and sideline (including ball placement) plays even if they don't call OOB as well as non-turnover possession plays. They just can't call penalties that aren't called unless it is targeting.

Sports are hard to officiate
They could easily do with technology and stop this stupidity. Put a sensor in the ball and sensors in the field or along sideline to triangulate advance. Just have to synch with ref punching a sensor for whistle if they stop play.

Not entirely true. They can review all scoring plays, turnovers, and sideline (including ball placement) plays even if they don't call OOB as well as non-turnover possession plays. They just can't call penalties that aren't called unless it is targeting.
Hence my wording. They can not reofficiate plays. They can't call a penalty that was not called on the field, which was 83's original question, asking if they could review a play, and then call a penalty when one was not called on the field. NO, they can not....

Just saw another one, Presott fumbles, ref waits what seems like a second to blow the play dead.

Last edited:
I see baseball is going with camera tech for AAA ball for calling the pitches. I know they did it in A ball last season. I knew they were doing it and most fans didn't and was funny listening to them scream the ump on the calls.

Spots are ridiculous. Two straight plays they stole a yard from Dallas.

Yes, I have been saying for some years that the line and side judges just do not seem to hustle up behind a play to get a much better eye on the spot. You see these officials just run up from 7 yards down the sideline showing they were not in line to see the forward progress of the ball.

When a tackle occurs during the hashes it can be easier for the refs and the umpire to triangulate the spot but many of these tackles out toward the sidelines just get lazy, bad spots. It is maddening.

Tennis has be spotting balls against out of bounds lines for years. I cant see why cameras from a couple of different angles cant be synched together to show the advance of the football sideways and forward and backwards to give a quick check on the spot.

Spots are ridiculous. Two straight plays they stole a yard from Dallas.
And not only spots but what is your thoughts on how a ball is spotted pretty close to the first down yardage to make and the line judge indicates first down and the ref signals first down BUT it sure looks very close or not a first down.

I see a lot of defensive players get really pissed about this action.

We aren’t far from AI and cameras being able to make most calls like holding and interference, false starts, delay of game, etc.

Keep in mind, the NFL chooses to still use just 7 on-field officials compared to the 8 college has been using for five-plus years. An extra set of eyeballs makes a difference, especially on pre-snap stuff. IMO, at that level they aren't allowed to just stand back and officiate the play as we might in a high school game. Everything is over-complicated with specific replay situations they are coached to call a certain way to allow replay to overrule if necessary, a million weird exceptions, the overprotection of expensive assets, and very complicated catch and PI rules.

I think many officials at all levels would tell you we need to get back to basics on a lot of this stuff and allow officials to just officiate. Even then, sometimes calls are just missed - and I still accept that as a human part of the game I don't want to completely go away.

ADVERTISEMENT