ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Maui Tournament

LaoHawk

HR MVP
Oct 23, 2013
Early tourneys are like pre-March Madness with some games. Some good games to watch for the BB fans on ESPN2:

#8 Auburn (Bruce the PEARL) beat Xavier (who just lost to WI earlier).
Bruce cheats in the SEC to bring a heralded class, maybe IA can meet them in the Dance?

San Diego St vs. Duke (delayed from OT of Auburn/Xavier) 4?

IA St vs Arizona (their worse recruits at present?) 8 CST

#3 Gonzaga vs. IL 10:30 CST

I didn't find out until today that Chaminade wasn't playing before checking out why. Turns out ESPN just didn't like having 3 of the 12 games with them playing, even though it was usually the early game. On the other hand, it kind of sucks for whoever ends up going 0 for 3 out there because their seasonmight be pretty much toast before Thanksgiving like we ended up seeing last year.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I was hoping for ISU to pull this one out. They weren't going to beat Gonzaga or Duke anyway but it would have helped our RPI for them to get a bunch of quality opponents here.

Reactions: td77
Down go clones
Queue up the 'officials cost us the game' comments. Water is wet, the sun rises in the east, and clones fans will hang any basketball loss on the officials. And Randy P will say he never complains about the officiating before proceeding to do just that in another DMR article.

Oh, and ' our best players were suspended'.

Reactions: Crazy Hawk
Queue up the 'officials cost us the game' comments. Water is wet, the sun rises in the east, and clones fans will hang any basketball loss on the officials. And Randy P will say he never complains about the officiating before proceeding to do just that in another DMR article.

Losing Wiggington and Young to injury was a huge blow to ISU. They are going to be pretty formidable once everyone is back from injury/suspension.

Umm.. no we blew the lead and lost. We've been playing decent with our true freshmen. No complaints here. A win would have been really nice. See you in December. .

Their booing is annoying but those refs were terrible (normal for college bball) & two guys were out.

Umm.. no we blew the lead and lost. We've been playing decent with our true freshmen. No complaints here. A win would have been really nice. See you in December. .
Your brethren on cyclonefanatic are not on the same page as you.

Reactions: Jonnymungo
Losing Wiggington and Young to injury was a huge blow to ISU. They are going to be pretty formidable once everyone is back from injury/suspension.
Weren't they short handed anyway for 3 or 4 guys selling drugs or drunk all the time
/ Just kidding...

I was hoping for ISU to pull this one out. They weren't going to beat Gonzaga or Duke anyway but it would have helped our RPI for them to get a bunch of quality opponents here.

After seeing them play they're very athletic, and they will give Iowa all they want and then some.

They are showing replays of Adam Morrison now. That dude was ugly...

Speaking of ugly. The Illini offense is dreadful against the Zags but Gonzaga hasn't pulled away. Fouls will be a problem as Illinois has already picked up 5 and we are at the first tv timeout in the second half.

Reactions: GlenHawk
Illinois had a chance to win that game with 30 sec left.

Gonzaga overrated. Duke will destroy them.

Welcome to the big ten, Gonzaga. You got Trent Frazier going nuts on Tuesday, Jordan Murphy going for 20 and 20 on Saturday and then to the Breslin Center the following Wednesday. Rinse and repeat for 2+ months.

Their booing is annoying but those refs were terrible (normal for college bball) & two guys were out.

Seriously, I know I sound like a broken record, but how bad has college basketball officiating gotten over the last 3-5 years? I saw none of this game, so I won't comment directly, but just watching games--and not just Iowa games--it continues to be pretty putrid.

Reactions: Crazy Hawk
Isu was without four players, but that Arizona team lost everyone from last year. I’m not so sure they shoulnt have won that game without those four players.

Ran out of gas there Sparky. Having 8 players available of which 6 are rotational, tends to leave a team shorthanded. Don't worry though, as most will be back by the Iowa game. Wigginton may not be back by then but possibly.

Seriously, I know I sound like a broken record, but how bad has college basketball officiating gotten over the last 3-5 years? I saw none of this game, so I won't comment directly, but just watching games--and not just Iowa games--it continues to be pretty putrid.

It's all too common now. Refs refuse to allow any flow and have to blow a whistle everytime there's any sort of contact. I wanna to say this change happened around 2008-2009, as they were never this bad before that. Watching an NBA game is so much easier than college bball because of how much better the refs are.

Four guys who were starters last year were out, not two, and Ted Valentine called the game. But Cyclones simply lost their poise down the stretch when Arizona started draining threes and ISU couldn’t make a bucket. Having only eight guys available didn’t help.
But while it was disappointing to let this one get away, there was a great deal to like. The newbies are keepers. The bright side of the missing players is that the new guys are getting a lot of quality minutes. True frosh Halliburton has played 40 minutes in two of the four games, and Horton-Taylor isn’t far behind.

Reactions: yiana
I didn't find out until today that Chaminade wasn't playing before checking out why. Turns out ESPN just didn't like having 3 of the 12 games with them playing, even though it was usually the early game. On the other hand, it kind of sucks for whoever ends up going 0 for 3 out there because their seasonmight be pretty much toast before Thanksgiving like we ended up seeing last year.
I don’t agree with that at all.

RPI is being replaced this year by the NCAA Evaluation Tool ("NET") metric which "will rely on game results, strength of schedule, game location, scoring margin, net offensive and defensive efficiency and the quality of wins and losses."

Link: https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2018/ncaa-net-ranking-system-rpi-replacement-explained

Thus, binary wins/losses won't matter as much as it did with the RPI - i.e., with this revised system, you get partial credit for playing a good opponent close.

In past years, this new metric would have really helped Iowa, and it will likely help Iowa again this year because, as usual, we will play 5-6 terrible teams in the out-of-conference schedule, and those games kill your RPI. However, now when we play a terrible team, it won't necessarily hurt our standing as long as we beat them by a sufficient margin. The old RPI looked at a 50 point win the same as a 1 point win (and a 50 point loss the same as a 1 point loss). I think this change is a move in the right direction.

It's all too common now. Refs refuse to allow any flow and have to blow a whistle everytime there's any sort of contact. I wanna to say this change happened around 2008-2009, as they were never this bad before that. Watching an NBA game is so much easier than college bball because of how much better the refs are.
Depends on whether a person likes WWE with a basketball or basketball played where the players can move without being tackled, grabbed and shoved all game long.
I believe BB is more of finesse game and the football tactics dont belong in the game.
The issue with refs is being consistent with both teams and all game long. If its a foul in the first minute it is in the last one too.
You can never avoid human bias but you can continue to work on getting the zebras to be more consistent.

RPI is being replaced this year by the NCAA Evaluation Tool ("NET") metric which "will rely on game results, strength of schedule, game location, scoring margin, net offensive and defensive efficiency and the quality of wins and losses."

Link: https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2018/ncaa-net-ranking-system-rpi-replacement-explained

Thus, binary wins/losses won't matter as much as it did with the RPI - i.e., with this revised system, you get partial credit for playing a good opponent close.

In past years, this new metric would have really helped Iowa, and it will likely help Iowa again this year because, as usual, we will play 5-6 terrible teams in the out-of-conference schedule, and those games kill your RPI. However, now when we play a terrible team, it won't necessarily hurt our standing as long as we beat them by a sufficient margin. The old RPI looked at a 50 point win the same as a 1 point win (and a 50 point loss the same as a 1 point loss). I think this change is a move in the right direction.

Would this change have kept Iowa out of the play in game against Tennessee and got them in the tournament 2 years ago?

Depends on whether a person likes WWE with a basketball or basketball played where the players can move without being tackled, grabbed and shoved all game long.
I believe BB is more of finesse game and the football tactics dont belong in the game.
The issue with refs is being consistent with both teams and all game long. If its a foul in the first minute it is in the last one too.
You can never avoid human bias but you can continue to work on getting the zebras to be more consistent.

Yep. Sit down, play D and don’t grab. I’m glad they’re attempting to clean it up. Unfortunately by February it will be called like WWE again

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I didn't think the officiating was one-sided, or even particularly horrid. They missed some calls both ways. My impression was that the officials simply couldn't keep up with the game, which was extremely fast-paced. Zebras didn't cost ISU this one, and I haven't seen any Cyclone fan claim they did (note: I do not frequent CF)..

ADVERTISEMENT