ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Nebraska/Illinois Game Fixed?

Mar 14, 2003
Hear me out. The B1G knew with a loss that Gameday would not feature two conference schools. So they didn't call blatant penalties on Nebby. Three of which would have resulted in Illini drives staying alive. One they would have at least been in FG range.

I think the fix was in.

Nebraska had 11 penalties for 119 yards and 4 turnovers.
And should have had a few more.

The Illinois defense simply wore down in the second half. How the hell can Lovie keep his job?

The Illini front seven on defense might be the worst in D-1.

Hear me out. The B1G knew with a loss that Gameday would not feature two conference schools. So they didn't call blatant penalties on Nebby. Three of which would have resulted in Illini drives staying alive. One they would have at least been in FG range.

I think the fix was in.
You just can’t get enough of your team, can you?

Man this long continuous losing streak that you can’t beak to Iowa is just KILLING you on the inside.

And I love it!

Nebraska had 11 penalties for 119 yards and 4 turnovers.
And yet it still seemed like the fix was in ... I counted no fewer than 4 egregiously missed calls in the game (and the announcers noted a few of them too).

Don't get me wrong ... in no way were the Illini the better team ... but it has to be deflating when the zebras are conspiring against you too.

Was flipping through that game the OSU/Texas game and the ND/ Georgia game. What struck me besides the shittiness of both teams was how the atmosphere was terrible in the Illinois game.

No wonder we poach so many of their recruits from that state.

Reactions: Wadzinator
The last two passes could have been called Defensive PI. I think the refs were as tired as Illinois defense and wanted the game over

I myself as rooting for Illinois but neither one of those teams are very good but I did enjoy watching the game I have to admit it. And by the way the officiating was terrible

Reactions: And1Hawk

I think the fix was in.

Yes, Illinois had some bad calls go their way throughout the game, especially in the second half. But the real difference was that Nebraska's players had better conditioning. Nebraska's offense had more energy than Illinois' defense in that 4th quarter, and they just outplayed them late in the game. A shame too, I thought Illinois had it, and I was hate-watching that game like a fiend.

click on image for larger view
EFCtsa9XkAAEgrC

This pic came from this tweet:

The guys in the BTN studio postgame thought this was pass interference. If called, the Illini continue their late game drive, down by just 4 points. A TD obviously would have won them the game.

Reactions: mrF6n6
I was in and out throughout the game after it became clear there was no dense being played, but I did see the flag on Debby's block in the back on a quick WR screen late in the 2nd quarter (?) which I am guessing was waved off because it was behind the line of scrimmage????

It doesn't matter what team it is, that kind of clueless officiating is outrageous. Why put in all that effort to practice and play when you get this kind of treatment that helps determine the outcome of games?

This is why coaches should have the right to challenge one or two plays every half. The review booth could overturn this non-call in about 3 seconds, and some semblance of fairness would be returned to the game.

It doesn't matter what team it is, that kind of clueless officiating is outrageous. Why put in all that effort to practice and play when you get this kind of treatment that helps determine the outcome of games?

This is why coaches should have the right to challenge one or two plays every half. The review booth could overturn this non-call in about 3 seconds, and some semblance of fairness would be returned to the game.
If you watched the last Illini pass play, the lead announcer said "And NO yellow flags" as if he couldn't believe a pass interference penalty was not called

PI is now reviewable in the NFL, right?

I think the NFL has a good review system. They need to bring that to the college game.

Reactions: mrF6n6
Meh, the most egregious call was the turnover that gave Illinois the ball on the 2. Originally called it an incomplete pass. Blew the whistle and called the play dead so everyone stopped. Then reversed the call and said it was a fumble.

Reactions: Fade-To-Black
Meh, the most egregious call was the turnover that gave Illinois the ball on the 2. Originally called it an incomplete pass. Blew the whistle and called the play dead so everyone stopped. Then reversed the call and said it was a fumble.
that was early in the game.
bad calls late in a game always have a greater effect on the outcome.

The biggest BS call was the block in the back call, only to be waived off by a different official that was 40 yards away. Complete shit show. I didn't care who won or lost but Debbie should of had another 8-10 penalties easy.

Reactions: sltldowney
I'm one of those people who believe fans too often default to blaming officials. At the same time, officials do f*** up a lot of games. I think this is one of those times.
Nebraska gave them 4 fumbles (leading to 21 points) and had 119 penalty yards. I think there is plenty of blame they could put on themselves rather than some missed call late in the game.

This is just like the ISU game imo - a missed call at a bad time had a big impact, but just like ISU did vs Iowa, Illinois had a ton of chances to win this game and they just didn't. The last 3 Nebraska drives they were running for 8 yards a play straight up the middle over and over - Illinois had no answer for anything. Can't blame 1 missed call for the outcome here.

Better yet, fire the official or officials that miss those calls. They obviously don't belong on the field.

I think the fix was in.

So, The B1G, absolutely desperate for Game Day o_O, decided that they would tell the refs which team was supposed to win? And the refs, desperate to please the B1G overlords, decided to go along with this?

There is no way I would pay any attention to sports if I thought they could be fixed so easily, and for such a small benefit.

Reactions: HemiHawk
The block in the back by a Nebraska player fairly late in the game, which was then shown very clearly on replay and was inexplicably withdrawn by the officials was ridiculous.

Reactions: sltldowney
So, The B1G, absolutely desperate for Game Day o_O, decided that they would tell the refs which team was supposed to win? And the refs, desperate to please the B1G overlords, decided to go along with this?

There is no way I would pay any attention to sports if I thought they could be fixed so easily, and for such a small benefit.

Playoff spot....feature tOSU after missing last year

I was in and out throughout the game after it became clear there was no dense being played, but I did see the flag on Debby's block in the back on a quick WR screen late in the 2nd quarter (?) which I am guessing was waved off because it was behind the line of scrimmage????

I watched most of the game, and I thought there was a lot of dense being played. ;)

Nebraska gave them 4 fumbles (leading to 21 points) and had 119 penalty yards. I think there is plenty of blame they could put on themselves rather than some missed call late in the game.

I agree Illinois did plenty to lose the game.

Officials should still get calls right.

1. Lovie looks like he could care less what happens (as long as he gets that paycheck).
2. Illinois QB is just not very good.
3. Definately blatant PI...and some of the refs in big10 do seem to favor Neb...probably are from there...bad enough that BTN announcer Kevin Kuglar is.
4. Nebby players still are the biggest trash talkers in college football.

And if you are one of those that don't get why all Nebraska attention (hate)...well you don't know what they are truly like...with every win the obnoxious fan-GBR-cult delusions get bigger and bigger in that state.
Nothing spells cult more than Banks in Omaha printing GBR and other Nebby cult stuff on their credit cards....1st National Bank says they are the Bank of the Huskers via their thousand of Omaha TV commercials that run non-stop during sports programs (my question so what about all the non-Husker fans that happen to have accounts or do business there?....they should switch banks). Oh that's another delusion...everyone in Nebraska loves the Huskers.

1. Lovie looks like he could care less what happens (as long as he gets that paycheck).
2. Illinois QB is just not very good.
3. Definately blatant PI...and some of the refs in big10 do seem to favor Neb...probably are from there...bad enough that BTN announcer Kevin Kuglar is.
4. Nebby players still are the biggest trash talkers in college football.

And if you are one of those that don't get why all Nebraska attention (hate)...well you don't know what they are truly like...with every win the obnoxious fan-GBR-cult delusions get bigger and bigger in that state.
Nothing spells cult more than Banks in Omaha printing GBR and other Nebby cult stuff on their credit cards....1st National Bank says they are the Bank of the Huskers via their thousand of Omaha TV commercials that run non-stop during sports programs (my question so what about all the non-Husker fans that happen to have accounts or do business there?....they should switch banks). Oh that's another delusion...everyone in Nebraska loves the Huskers.

Lovie did get pumped when Nebby missed the short FG late.

You are spot on in your end summary though.

HEy!! My south border amigos at the plant and I are gonna beat you!! Jorge and I just got some with the NIGHT shift because we are grown ass men and now drinking bloody Mary’s and beers getting ready for VIKINGS FOOTBALL

Man, I don't know if anything this guy writes is real. Half the time I don't even know what he's trying to say. But I laugh every damn time I read a post from Hawkeye Dan!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT