ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Nebraska Star Entering Portal?

Usually guys like Wan'Dale terrify me, but on this, I'd almost prefer he stays unhappy and messes up team chemistry in the Huskers. As much fun as it is to rag on Nebraska, there is no reason they can't get back to Bo Pelini-heights, and I'd rather they stay as dysfunctional as possible

This IS dysfunction

People in Nebraska were wondering all season why Frost was calling all those kinds of plays....short horizontals that in many cases ended up with bad throws by Martinez.....it was plain and simple, Frost HAD to.....he had to do everything possible to keep Robinson the center of attention in an offense that had no identity and a stable of QBs that cannot get the ball downfield any further than 10 yards with any accuracy,

After Robinson initially committed to Kentucky, Frost had every coach on the staff involved to get Robinson to de-commit from Kentucky...that's how important Frost thought getting him....without him in that offense and all there remains is a bunch of walk-ons and transfer rejects. Also Frost was trying to use him as a running back...getting the kid practically killed running inside. Thats not good for a NFL minded small receiver...to get used as a tackle dummy by big10 defenses.

Robinson has spent or wasted two years under clueless Frost....he needs to get out of that mess as soon as he can...he can go to any P5 school and play...he may not be thee guy...but he will be a play-maker.

And PS to Findone...history tends to repeat itself.

When the focus is on keeping players happy rather than winning games, you end up in bad situations, where you neither win nor keep players happy. Iowa's program is not perfect, but KF and staff approach of promising players little other than the opportunity to complete for PT is the right way to go, always and every time. It keeps the focus on winning games and not touches or receptions or whatever.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Hmmmm! Which school has had the most players bail in the last eight months? Hint, it isn‘t Purdue.
Sure about that?
I think they’ve had 5-6 since season started.
How many opt outs?

Last edited:
This is stunning. Impossible to build anything good when your best players leave the program. We saw this in the Lickliter years in hoops when the leading scorers every year were transferring.
I still don't get Licks dislike of Tony Freeman.

Kind of opposite of what is going on on defense for them where lots of players came back for an extra year. Should have a decent defense but the offense not so much

careful if you post over there ..as banning is a ritual and I do think they have a quota
but then again , I have heard of bannings in other places for little too even political exchanges
so be careful
Cancel culture - if you say something they don't like they either burn shit down or cancel you. Gotta love thin skinned world.

Reactions: Herkyhawk247
Cancel culture - if you say something they don't like they either burn shit down or cancel you. Gotta love thin skinned world.
It's not even an issue of being thin skinned ... it's a polarizing "culture" ... where the expectation is for everyone to be like-minded. Yet another instance of people reaching out for confirmation bias ... and it they don't get it ... any form of "contrariness" gets cancelled.

It's not even an issue of being thin skinned ... it's a polarizing "culture" ... where the expectation is for everyone to be like-minded. Yet another instance of people reaching out for confirmation bias ... and it they don't get it ... any form of "contrariness" gets cancelled.
The call for "Unity" is actually a call for "Conformity" and the sheep keep lapping the water.

The call for "Unity" is actually a call for "Conformity" and the sheep keep lapping the water.
It typically is worthwhile calling a spade a spade ... but unfortunately people sometimes ONLY see spades out there. They see things through their own narrow periscope.

Part of unity is NOT agreeing with one another ... but rather simply listening to one another (and perhaps actually attempting to understand one another).

I can understand a perspective ... even if I might not agree with it.

But, just as we discussed before ... part of what feeds into "cancel culture" ... is that many people aren't at all comfortable with even HEARING/listening to perspectives that do not echo their own views/beliefs. That's a big reason why the current environment is seemingly so toxic and polarizing.

It typically is worthwhile calling a spade a spade ... but unfortunately people sometimes ONLY see spades out there. They see things through their own narrow periscope.

Part of unity is NOT agreeing with one another ... but rather simply listening to one another (and perhaps actually attempting to understand one another).

But, just as we discussed before ... part of what feeds into "cancel culture" ... is that many people aren't at all comfortable with even HEARING/listening to perspectives that do not echo their own views/beliefs. That's a big reason why the current environment is seemingly so toxic and polarizing.
Cancel culture is a made up slogan. There is nothing new going on today than 300 years ago.

Cancel culture is a made up slogan. There is nothing new going on today than 300 years ago.

True, it's just on a larger scale and the loudest voices are the most prominent. Their desire to continue to escalate it is on another level altogether.

I can agree with the majority of this. I however think there is a severe case of listening not occurring. I have begun asking questions or pointing out hypocrisy and putting a clock on how long before a name is called, someone is labeled or the former presidents name is invoked. On a side note they are not inflammatory in nature. Today it was 'when do we get to vote on the changes that are being done to our government'

Reactions: ghostOfHomer777
Yes .... to an extent. Otherwise, I'm afraid that you're oversimplifying things ....

Here's an example ...

There's always been the issue/problem of some people (literally) not hearing one another.

Base Problem: person A speaks to person B ... and person B doesn't hear them

Initial solution: person A then shouts the same message to person B
possible reactions: maybe person B now hears the message - yay!
maybe person B still doesn't hear the message

Next solution: person A cups their hands about their mouth (not covering it - but rather directing the sound waves) and shouts the same message to person B
possible reactions: same as before

Next solution: person A devises a cone-shaped object that is open on both ends ... and shouts the same message to person B

Next solution: person A finds a number of other people to help ... and they all shout (in unison) together the same message to person B.

Next solution: person A benefits from electronic technology and the advent of the amplifier - and speaks into a microphone, has the analog signal of the sound waves of their voice translated to an analog signal in an electric circuit, the analog signal in the circuit then gets amplified by an amplifier, and then gets sent to a speaker where it gets re-converted to a much louder sound-wave.

While the initial issue and the possible outcomes do not (necessarily) change ... it would appear that the progression of the sequence of events does lead to "new things going on."

I can agree with the majority of this. I however think there is a severe case of listening not occurring. I have begun asking questions or pointing out hypocrisy and putting a clock on how long before a name is called, someone is labeled or the former presidents name is invoked. On a side note they are not inflammatory in nature. Today it was 'when do we get to vote on the changes that are being done to our government'
Yeah ... mentioning a president or whatnot ... that leads to an immediate labeling of the in-group versus the out-group. Consequently, people polarize accordingly ... and don't bother to process the rest (unless they're reading about a view they agree with).

Darn our neuro-chemistry ... the reward-pathway gets stimulated when we receive affirmation from others about our views. Others, when they don't hear what they want/expect ... it can potentially trigger cortisol ... putting them in more the agitated fight-or-flight mode. Certainly not a great mind-set for having a productive discussion.

Yeah ... mentioning a president or whatnot ... that leads to an immediate labeling of the in-group versus the out-group. Consequently, people polarize accordingly ... and don't bother to process the rest (unless they're reading about a view they agree with).

Darn our neuro-chemistry ... the reward-pathway gets stimulated when we receive affirmation from others about our views. Others, when they don't hear what they want/expect ... it can potentially trigger cortisol ... putting them in more the agitated fight-or-flight mode. Certainly not a great mind-set for having a productive discussion.

It just feels that in the past we were able to disagree and it wasn't personal. Today it seems to be personal. I tell my managers 'this is a people business it isn't personal'
People put far too much emotion into the discussion and can't or refuse to look at the facts or be objective. It is sad really. Some people I consider to be very intelligent have become intellectually disingenuous and combative.

Please show me where (300 years ago) someone that started a gofundme for beer, turned it into a good cause and then the press dug into their historical posts to find a single thread that could be considered "not a good person" and then said good person was drug through the mud.

It just feels that in the past we were able to disagree and it wasn't personal. Today it seems to be personal. I tell my managers 'this is a people business it isn't personal'
People put far too much emotion into the discussion and can't or refuse to look at the facts or be objective. It is sad really. Some people I consider to be very intelligent have become intellectually disingenuous and combative.
Today you use the wrong surname at the wrong time (not day, month or year but the wrong minute as that is how often they can change) and you are drug through the mud, labeled racist\sexist\homophobe\xenophobe\etc.

Please show me where (300 years ago) someone that started a gofundme for beer, turned it into a good cause and then the press dug into their historical posts to find a single thread that could be considered "not a good person" and then said good person was drug through the mud.
Good lord. Are you that dense?

In this context ... unity simply means quit being divisive dicks to each other. The current call for unity isn't asking for conformity.
And yet those that were calling for unity are still being the "divisive dicks..." If they wanted unity they would put the partisan politics aside and do America so America can be strong (that's when the world has balance). But for the past 12 years what is up is down, the sky is green and grass is blue, women are men and men are women.

Government should never be entrusted with "fixing" anything, we should fix government.

And yet those that were calling for unity are still being the "divisive dicks..." If they wanted unity they would put the partisan politics aside and do America so America can be strong (that's when the world has balance). But for the past 12 years what is up is down, the sky is green and grass is blue, women are men and men are women.

Government should never be entrusted with "fixing" anything, we should fix government.
In some senses ... I agree that it isn't correct to simply try to push through legislation.

However, part of the problem is that to ideologues ... comprise is "sin" ... or a sign of weakness. Rather, compromise and concession is a pragmatic act that helps to get things done.

Each side has folks who think that their "dogma" is more natural and/or inherently correct ... however, that itself is an asinine stance. Any stance is only as strong as the supporting arguments that prop it up. Both sides have arguments that are both strong and flimsy. Hence ... the foolishness is not trying to meet somewhere towards the middle.

The message I've noted with SOME of the current legislation is that their is the desire for things to bipartisan ... to have folks work together. However, there is also a sense of urgency ... because there ARE some dire problems here that need to be "fixed" ... and so there is time-pressure here. Hopefully, legislation isn't just involve one group bulldozing of the other ... however, hopefully both sides appreciate the urgency and work together to come up good solutions.

Lastly ... as it relates to "fixing things" ... as much as the private sector can be good at meeting demand and "naturally" solving problems ... in some instances, private solutions simply don't scale. Furthermore, "solutions" put forth by private entities often over-prioritize their own self-interest ... over that of the people.

Just as some folks don't trust government ... and there is plenty of examples to suggest that there is good reason for that. Similarly, some folks don't trust the greed of private-enterprise .... and, sadly, there are plenty of examples to suggest that there is a good reason for that.

How about we have "unity" and have both sides rise up, eh?

If you do not want to have all of this stuff happening in the world. Just try to be more understanding. Do not make it about you. You will be amazed at how much clearer things are for you. Some people have gotten the short end of the stick. I have been lucky. No reason other people cannot have that same luck as I do. I honestly believe the news has created a sense of false panic in people. A lot of people are too stupid to even realize this on their own. From police brutality to political corruption, people are taking things WAY to literally. It is evident on this very message board and on Facebook/ Twitter/ etc..

Today you use the wrong surname at the wrong time (not day, month or year but the wrong minute as that is how often they can change) and you are drug through the mud, labeled racist\sexist\homophobe\xenophobe\etc.
Also ... to be clear, do you mean pronoun instead of surname? Be the Bob a Sanders, a Marley, a Seger, or a Dylan ... I doubt any gives a rats ass about the use of a surname (other than a simple instance of mistaken identity).

Except it’s louder than ever before due to social media.
Also, smart phones and social media also act as "filtering machines" ... so that we only talk to who we want and hear what we want.

Part of being open-minded, accepting, and understanding is to communicate with others who differ from ourselves. Folks more of the liberal persuasion need to actually take the step of trying to understand those of more of conservative persuasion. Folks who might be more apt to get apprehensive when being around folks who seem different ... like around folks who speak a different language, dress differently, or are "browner"/"lighter" than themselves ... you're not going to get over that apprehension unless you actually interact with folks who are different and demystify the difference. Otherwise, it's simply to easy to dehumanize others.

The extent and magnitude to which this "filtering" effect scales is well beyond what most folks seem to fathom. Ironically, rather than bringing us all closer together ... it's dividing us more.

Oddly enough, it reminds me a lot of the CG-bias that you see in microbes and how it impacts their ability to exchange genetic material across different organisms. That too acts as a "filtering mechanism" to more clearly differentiate "difference" between groups of organisms. It's also reminiscent of how some polysynthetic languages work - wherein formation and encourage of language differences helps to keep groups more distinctive/different.

Also, smart phones and social media also act as "filtering machines" ... so that we only talk to who we want and hear what we want.

Part of being open-minded, accepting, and understanding is to communicate with others who differ from ourselves. Folks more of the liberal persuasion need to actually take the step of trying to understand those of more of conservative persuasion. Folks who might be more apt to get apprehensive when being around folks who seem different ... like around folks who speak a different language, dress differently, or are "browner"/"lighter" than themselves ... you're not going to get over that apprehension unless you actually interact with folks who are different and demystify the difference. Otherwise, it's simply to easy to dehumanize others.

The extent and magnitude to which this "filtering" effect scales is well beyond what most folks seem to fathom. Ironically, rather than bringing us all closer together ... it's dividing us more.

Oddly enough, it reminds me a lot of the CG-bias that you see in microbes and how it impacts their ability to exchange genetic material across different organisms. That too acts as a "filtering mechanism" to more clearly differentiate "difference" between groups of organisms. It's also reminiscent of how some polysynthetic languages work - wherein formation and encourage of language differences helps to keep groups more distinctive/different.

It doesn't help when people act and communicate one way in public and then for whatever reason are different in their online presence. Kind of like some fans when the have a bit too much to drink at tailgates. The internet is kind of like the liquid bravery (or stupidity) that alcohol induces in many people.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT