ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NFL to allow TD celebrations

I don't watch the NFL either. Being in Iowa City I just don't feel a connection to any pro teams. The Bears are closest but they never have any Hawkeyes that play for them (Moaki?) I did fantasy football for several years and it gave me a reason to watch more games but I felt like it takes away from the team aspect of the sport, people root more for players than teams.

My rooting interests are ordered
1) Teams with Hawkeye players 2) Midwest teams 3) Underdog

College football and tailgating is where it's at. Similar to my previous post - relative to decades past players just don't stay with the same teams for their entire careers as much as they used to. Maybe I'm just older and understand how things work better but the business aspect of the NFL is just so exhaustingly obvious, much more so that College ball IMO

I actually like the ruling to allow longer celebrations, always worth a good chuckle, and you can bet there are guys in the weight room right now trying to choreograph their first touchdown of the season.

I feel like I'm more of a football fan because I don't watch the NFL and what it has become.

I don't watch the NFL either. Being in Iowa City I just don't feel a connection to any pro teams. The Bears are closest but they never have any Hawkeyes that play for them (Moaki?) I did fantasy football for several years and it gave me a reason to watch more games but I felt like it takes away from the team aspect of the sport, people root more for players than teams.

College football and tailgating is where it's at. Similar to my previous post - relative to decades past players just don't stay with the same teams for their entire careers as much as they used to. Maybe I'm just older and understand how things work better but the business aspect of the NFL is just so exhaustingly obvious, much more so that College ball IMO

I actually like the ruling to allow longer celebrations, always worth a good chuckle, and you can bet there are guys in the weight room right now trying to choreograph their first touchdown of the season.

I feel like I'm more of a football fan because I don't watch the NFL and what it has become.

See this is what I'm talking about. You are more of a fan of rooting for things you are familiar with, or a good story, than you are a fan of the actual game of football. Which is fine, but I wouldn't say you are more of a "football" fan then.

Good post.

It was a cumulative effect for me. Mostly I don't think the product is as exciting as it used to be. A commissioner that is judge and jury. I'm not a NE fan but what he did to Brady was a show of power. Owners collude to move teams. Cities and fans pay for new stadiums. The league lied or at least concealed info on concussions. And good Lord, what sport cries out for guaranteed contracts more than the NFL. Viewership was down 8% in 2016.

See this is what I'm talking about. You are more of a fan of rooting for things you are familiar with, or a good story, than you are a fan of the actual game of football. Which is fine, but I wouldn't say you are more of a "football" fan then.

Nah just not a fan of shady business dealings corrupting a game that I love. Not watching is my way of boycotting.

Just like many people refused to watch Iowa Football a few years ago because of Ferentz' coaching style and how the University tried to destroy the tailgating atmosphere, they still loved Hawkeye Football. They were so emotionally wrapped up in it that they didn't want to watch it get destroyed.

Last edited:
Nah just not a fan of shady business dealings corrupting a game that I love. Not watching is my way of boycotting.

Just like many people refused to watch Iowa Football a few years ago because of Ferentz' coaching style and how the University tried to destroy the tailgating atmosphere, they still loved Hawkeye Football. They were so emotionally wrapped up in it that they didn't want to watch it get destroyed.

Fair enough. I admit I've been saying how I am going to boycott the NFL for the past few years now due to the way they've changed the game. However, when push comes to shove and it's NFL Sunday, my love for football takes over and I can't help but watch. I must be different, but I just don't understand how you can be a fan of anything, and not want to watch (or at least not refuse to watch) the best at that particular thing. Call me crazy...

Have a 2 and 6 year old and they take priority on Sundays over NFL games. Saturdays however are a different story! :)

I would also disagree with it being "the best" however. Sure the players are the best in the world but I don't believe that the quality of the game is better than college games.

Same with the NBA, the players are the best in the world but to me it is less entertaining.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Have a 2 and 6 year old and they take priority on Sundays over NFL games. Saturdays however are a different story! :)

I would also disagree with it being "the best" however. Sure the players are the best in the world but I don't believe that the quality of the game is better than college games.

Same with the NBA, the players are the best in the world but to me it is less entertaining.

I'll give you College Football over NFL, but I'll fight you to the death on College Basketball being better than the NBA. I'm talking about if you take away all of your allegiances and just focus on the game play. Not atmosphere, bands, student sections, etc. But the game play in the NBA is so much better than college it's not even close. Most of the reason for this is just because college basketball refs are so incompetent.

Unlike your Grand Wizard-like outlook of athletes, I have no qualms over white people. I find your outlook on players celebrating funny, that's all.
Damn, you're crazy racist! I bet you hate black people also. If you don't like whites or blacks this may not be the country for you.

I can tell your racist & stupid (probably from Nebraska) but when did I ever say anything about having a problem with the celebrating?!

I'm just trying to figure out if you have more racism or stupidity in you. Right now I'd say it's really close.

Last edited:
Damn, you're crazy racist! I bet you hate black people also. If you don't like whites or blacks this may not be the country for you.

I can tell your racist & stupid (probably from Nebraska) but when did I ever say anything about having a problem with the celebrating?!

I'm just trying to figure out if you have racism or stupidity in you. Right now I'd say it's really close.
Derp1.jpg

I'll give you College Football over NFL, but I'll fight you to the death on College Basketball being better than the NBA. I'm talking about if you take away all of your allegiances and just focus on the game play. Not atmosphere, bands, student sections, etc. But the game play in the NBA is so much better than college it's not even close. Most of the reason for this is just because college basketball refs are so incompetent.
Wow, NBA is absolutely horrible compared to college! NFL is closer to CFB than NBA to CBB.

Just guessing but you're probably young? When I was younger I liked NBA & NFL equal to college sports. As you get older you'll grow out of that. College is a much better game at both levels imo.

Reactions: Ree4
Yep you're right about that but watching Lebron ISO 90% of Cleveland's possessions in the finals two years ago was unbearable. I always say that I don't even know why I watch College Basketball because the officiating is so bad so I'll agree there. I definitely see your point a little more clearly now and I'd like to suggest a hypothetical situation that would never happen:

Imagine in the future the best player ever comes along and never misses a shot, would it be enjoyable to watch? Feel free to ignore this though lol

I feel like watching most NBA games is akin to watching B12 football, either the offenses are really good or the defenses aren't. I'm sure B12 FB and NBA are opposite for which of those options are true but the result is the same, those games are usually track meets.

Dunno, agree to disagree I guess but there's no way that I don't love football :)

Wow, NBA is absolutely horrible compared to college! NFL is closer to CFB than NBA to CBB.
When I was younger I liked NBA & NFL equal to college sports. As you get older you'll grow out of that.

I was the exact same as a kid, probably even leaned more toward professional sports but over the last 10-15 years it has been shifting toward preferring college ball in FB and BB

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK

Just guessing but you're probably young? When I was younger I liked NBA & NFL equal to college sports. As you get older you'll grow out of that. College is a much better game at both levels imo.

Nope. Grew up preferring college bball to NBA, but the older I get the more and more I prefer NBA to college. I realized around college age that the only thing keeping me watching college bball was the Hawks. The actual NBA product is so much better, even though I don't have a particular team allegiance.

Nope. Grew up preferring college bball to NBA, but the older I get the more and more I prefer NBA to college. I realized around college age that the only thing keeping me watching college bball was the Hawks. The actual NBA product is so much better, even though I don't have a particular team allegiance.
Then I have a hard time believing you're a true bball fan if you prefer the NBA or CBB.

Then I have a hard time believing you're a true bball fan if you prefer the NBA or CBB.

Haha ok then. Keep watching your "real" basketball where there's an offensive charge every two possessions, zero offensive flow/spacing, and where the coaches still haven't figured out what a two for one means.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT