ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Olympics

138clhawk

All-Conference
Nov 27, 2017
I saw where American born & raised Eileen Gu, who just won gold in some skiing event, is competing for China. I take it the transfer portal and NIL is alive and well in the Olympics?? I assume, especially with China being the host country, that she will get paid very well!
I know she has a Chinese mother. I just think it's weird or kind of messed up to compete for one country when you are a citizen of another country. It kind of ruins one of the main points of the Olympics, bringing all these countries together to compete against each other. I realize other athletes have done it in other sports, just seems silly to me.

I saw where American born & raised Eileen Gu, who just won gold in some skiing event, is competing for China. I take it the transfer portal and NIL is alive and well in the Olympics?? I assume, especially with China being the host country, that she will get paid very well!
I know she has a Chinese mother. I just think it's weird or kind of messed up to compete for one country when you are a citizen of another country. It kind of ruins one of the main points of the Olympics, bringing all these countries together to compete against each other. I realize other athletes have done it in other sports, just seems silly to me.
Go hawks!

Yeah that never happens in the US favor

Reactions: West Duval Nole
Marching into Beijing Stadium under the American flag this August will be a kayaker from Poland, table tennis players from China, a triathlete from New Zealand, a world-champion distance runner from Kenya and a gold-medal-winning equestrian from Australia.

All newly minted United States citizens.

Foreign-born and trained stars have been contributing to the United States’s Olympic medal count since 2000 in a modest but growing trend that blurs the national boundaries of the competition.

“We call them migrant laborers,” said Kevin B. Wamsley, a co-director of the Canada-based International Center for Olympic Studies. “Certainly, there’s a value for nations on medals.”

Reactions: BelemNole
China’s also cheating. Here’s short track speed skating. Just for reference the Hungarian was disqualified here for contact. The Chinese skater won the gold.

AVvXsEiNzI24vAYVmH4BdaJJ-V6ySDJRh6LO3lpKX4SxHtpD2Ja0Bu_m5WWqsu4XIk1WmRVQRXzsjSNh0p7n0cIN_1gdmwMzoo2na8M6HT9chuhNc3cBkyA9hjLvOJg2KFW0iy57B-1VVD-IHJNZpVKddEqWLNLcWVKADAMV7podITT8rHUADlVf6OFNWIr5=s16000

The top three short track skaters were Korean. One had his hand run over by a Chinese skater and the two others were disqualified.

Last edited:
I had the downhill going in thr background last night as I was working on some things. Fake snow, fake fans, bullshit set up. The Olympics are a joke.
The alpine stuff really is unforgivable. The best skiers in the world were out of control in the Super G at relatively low speeds. The guy who won the Silver in the Super G thought he’d damaged his knee on the ice.

The alpine stuff really is unforgivable. The best skiers in the world were out of control in the Super G at relatively low speeds. The guy who won the Silver in the Super G thought he’d damaged his knee on the ice.
The Downhill was a death trap a couple of nights ago. Guys were flying off the course and into the barriers getting injured.

As to the OP, she had to renounce her US citizenship. As far as I am concerned she can stay in China and shouldn't be allowed back into the USA. See how much she enjoys living under the CCP. Maybe she can share a 5x8 with the Chinese tennis player that looks like she's spent months at a re-education camp.

Oh, and there is this beauty. Nice industrial cooling towers. China should never get the Olympics again.

32169b3e-90af-4774-8681-3be64224f525-GTY_1368899229.jpg

Reactions: mnole03
The Downhill was a death trap a couple of nights ago. Guys were flying off the course and into the barriers getting injured.

As to the OP, she had to renounce her US citizenship. As far as I am concerned she can stay in China and shouldn't be allowed back into the USA. See how much she enjoys living under the CCP. Maybe she can share a 5x8 with the Chinese tennis player that looks like she's spent months at a re-education camp.

Oh, and there is this beauty. Nice industrial cooling towers. China should never get the Olympics again.

32169b3e-90af-4774-8681-3be64224f525-GTY_1368899229.jpg
Some irradiated steam is good for setting personal bests :)

In general, this happens a ton. Sometimes for the US, but there are a zillion Americans competing under other countries' banners. All countries have their own rules for who qualifies to represent them, and a lot of times if your parents were born there, you can represent them. It's pretty easy to spot, when there's like, one skier representing Monaco or an archer from Montenegro or something. They're American athletes who aren't good enough to qualify as an American, but qualify to represent their country, even if their country doesn't even have a team in that sport.

I don't have a problem with it...if you have the chance to go to the Olympics because your grandmother came from a certain country, might as well do it. There's still minimum levels of competence you have to have so it's not like you can pick some obscure sport that you've never done and get your ancestral country to send you. But tons of athletes don't reside for whom they compete.

That said, I have no idea about this particular athlete. I'm not watching a second of these Olympics. I'm not some huge olympics fan anyway, so the irritation of participating in the Chinese propaganda of it all would far outweigh any enjoyment. I hope the ratings continue to be disastrous.

Not to mention that the region is so arid that they had to pump in water to make artificial snow, and they destroyed a portion of a wildlife refuge area for the games.

In general, this happens a ton. Sometimes for the US, but there are a zillion Americans competing under other countries' banners. All countries have their own rules for who qualifies to represent them, and a lot of times if your parents were born there, you can represent them. It's pretty easy to spot, when there's like, one skier representing Monaco or an archer from Montenegro or something. They're American athletes who aren't good enough to qualify as an American, but qualify to represent their country, even if their country doesn't even have a team in that sport.

I don't have a problem with it...if you have the chance to go to the Olympics because your grandmother came from a certain country, might as well do it. There's still minimum levels of competence you have to have so it's not like you can pick some obscure sport that you've never done and get your ancestral country to send you. But tons of athletes don't reside for whom they compete.

That said, I have no idea about this particular athlete. I'm not watching a second of these Olympics. I'm not some huge olympics fan anyway, so the irritation of participating in the Chinese propaganda of it all would far outweigh any enjoyment. I hope the ratings continue to be disastrous.
I understand this, that some U.S. athletes aren't good enough to make Team USA so they rep an ancestors country. This particular athlete is at the top of her field and was favored to win gold. She gave some B.S answer that she is competing for China in order to bring awareness to her sport in China to all the little girls there. The truth is China paid her a bunch of money to rep them. She sold out and Americans hate her for it, and the irony is the Chinese hate her too because they don't accept mixed race outsiders.

I understand this, that some U.S. athletes aren't good enough to make Team USA so they rep an ancestors country. This particular athlete is at the top of her field and was favored to win gold. She gave some B.S answer that she is competing for China in order to bring awareness to her sport in China to all the little girls there. The truth is China paid her a bunch of money to rep them. She sold out and Americans hate her for it, and the irony is the Chinese hate her too because they don't accept mixed race outsiders.

She can fvck right off then as far as I'm concerned.

Actually the Chinese love her. She's a native speaker and she's a winner. They might not want to marry their son off to her, but they're cheering for her.

Reactions: cigaretteman
She won the Gold in the big air competition last night throwing a trick that had never been done.

I don’t blame her representing China. She’s rumored to have made $30 million in endorsements, when the elite skiers in her field are lucky to pull $100-200k a year.

What I can’t stand is NBC running puff pieces on her and selling the idea that she wanted to inspire Chinese girls

Actually the Chinese love her. She's a native speaker and she's a winner. They might not want to marry their son off to her, but they're cheering for her.
Not what I heard. Heard she was getting vilified in that country as much as this one. Reserve the right to be wrong about that.

Doesn't matter at this point. She can stay in her chosen country.

Not what I heard. Heard she was getting vilified in that country as much as this one. Reserve the right to be wrong about that.

Doesn't matter at this point. She can stay in her chosen country.
You might be thinking of the figure skater who fell twice. They’ve gone all in on her. Eileen/Ailing Gu is very popular.

Reactions: BelemNole
She won the Gold in the big air competition last night throwing a trick that had never been done.

I don’t blame her representing China. She’s rumored to have made $30 million in endorsements, when the elite skiers in her field are lucky to pull $100-200k a year.

What I can’t stand is NBC running puff pieces on her and buying into the idea that she wanted to inspire Chinese girls
Yeah, that truly is deplorable if she did, indeed renounce her American citizenship.

Moments after the biggest run of her life, the 18-year-old freestyle skiing prodigy was asked about her status as a U.S. citizen, her feelings on Shuai and the incessant hate she's received on social media over competing for the host nation.

“If people don’t believe me, if people don’t like me, then that's their loss," Gu said. "They’re never going to win the Olympics.”

China doesn't recognize dual citizenship, and while a number of outlets have asked the skier about hers in Beijing, she dodged explicit questions on her U.S. standing. According to Reuters, state media report she renounced it at age 15, when she became a Chinese national.

Gu, who has an American father, was born and raised in San Francisco by her mother, who is from Beijing. While her mom has been a constant supporter, little is known about her father. Gu doesn't talk about him publicly and information on him is scarce, according to multiple outlets. The New York Times reports he is a Harvard graduate, but little else is known about the man behind in the epic free skier.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
Yeah, that truly is deplorable if she did, indeed renounce her American citizenship.

Moments after the biggest run of her life, the 18-year-old freestyle skiing prodigy was asked about her status as a U.S. citizen, her feelings on Shuai and the incessant hate she's received on social media over competing for the host nation.

“If people don’t believe me, if people don’t like me, then that's their loss," Gu said. "They’re never going to win the Olympics.”

China doesn't recognize dual citizenship, and while a number of outlets have asked the skier about hers in Beijing, she dodged explicit questions on her U.S. standing. According to Reuters, state media report she renounced it at age 15, when she became a Chinese national.

Gu, who has an American father, was born and raised in San Francisco by her mother, who is from Beijing. While her mom has been a constant supporter, little is known about her father. Gu doesn't talk about him publicly and information on him is scarce, according to multiple outlets. The New York Times reports he is a Harvard graduate, but little else is known about the man behind in the epic free skier.
You can renounce your citizenship at 15, but the United States won’t accept it. That’s the technicality these athletes have used. You have to be at least 16 and it needs to be in writing.

Last edited:
Reactions: cigaretteman
F the Olympics and the IOC. Not watching a second of them.

It's time to give them a permanent home. Put the Summer Games in Greece and the Winter Games in Switzerland. Alternative - do away with them.

Liu Shaoang of Hungary is the fastest man on the rink after winning the 500m short track speed skate. If his name doesn’t sound Hungarian, it’s because his father left China and had Liu with his Hungarian wife. Suck it, China.

China’s also cheating. Here’s short track speed skating. Just for reference the Hungarian was disqualified here for contact. The Chinese skater won the gold.

AVvXsEiNzI24vAYVmH4BdaJJ-V6ySDJRh6LO3lpKX4SxHtpD2Ja0Bu_m5WWqsu4XIk1WmRVQRXzsjSNh0p7n0cIN_1gdmwMzoo2na8M6HT9chuhNc3cBkyA9hjLvOJg2KFW0iy57B-1VVD-IHJNZpVKddEqWLNLcWVKADAMV7podITT8rHUADlVf6OFNWIr5=s16000

The top three short track skaters were Korean. One had his hand run over by a Chinese skater and the two others were disqualified.
Interestingly, that Hungarian’s father is Chinese. Or, maybe not interestingly.

ADVERTISEMENT