ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pico fighting in Belator 192 1-20-18

Sett1997

HR Legend
Nov 27, 2004
I think his advisers did this kid an injustice if indeed he was following advice.
Could have been a four time hs state champ, most likely 4x NCAA with free ride. Chance at tying Caels unbeaten record.
Shame we didn't get to see it. Those who laugh , he owned Retherford in freestyle and is just as bad ass at folk.
Two time NCAA champ with full beard gets destroyed by high school kid who can't even grow a beard.

Last edited:
Pico's only HS loss was in finals of Ironman as a Fr to Dean Heil, then a Sr, in OT on a somewhat controversial call. He just walked through everyone at CA state as a Fr, falls and TF's, with no one close.

After that, he gave up HS wrestling. Chasing MMA and $$ was his choice, but sure would've liked to see him pursue college and Olympic success.

Reactions: Huck and Sett1997
Pico's only HS loss was in finals of Ironman as a Fr to Dean Heil, then a Sr, in OT on a somewhat controversial call. He just walked through everyone at CA state as a Fr, falls and TF's, with no one close.

After that, he gave up HS wrestling. Chasing MMA and $$ was his choice, but sure would've liked to see him pursue college and Olympic success.
Me too , what a phenom. Shame.

Reactions: Huck
I will be in attendance for this so I’m pretty pumped.

MMA was always Pico’s goal so it’s hard to fault him for making the move. The kid had a plan and he followed it. Pretty excited about this card though, Joey Davis is another up and coming former wrestler who is fighting. He was a 3 time D2 champ at Notre Dame College.
Awesome John, have a great time.

Reactions: JohnBasedow
Pico was a beast and beat Zain every time in freestyle. Zain closed the gap in their last meeting, and to say he got destroyed is funny. Also was Zain a two time NCAA champ when they last wrestled? Was Pico at the last trials? Just wondering. And to imply he could have tied Cael’s record is funny also since he never wrestled a college match. By the way there is only 1 year and 4 months age difference.

You could show the vids of Steiber beating Pico, or Molinaro defeating him. Or for fun’s sake Zain-Sorensen semis last year. Sure he was gonna be great no doubt but no one knows if he would have been a four time NCAA champ. So many undefeated hammers as HS kids did not pan out in college. Anyway I am sure you are just trolling with your post taking digs at PSU. I guess that’s what you do when your jealous of your rivals success.

Reactions: el dub
Pico was a beast and beat Zain every time in freestyle. Zain closed the gap in their last meeting, and to say he got destroyed is funny. Also was Zain a two time NCAA champ when they last wrestled? Was Pico at the last trials? Just wondering. And to imply he could have tied Cael’s record is funny also since he never wrestled a college match. By the way there is only 1 year and 4 months age difference.

You could show the vids of Steiber beating Pico, or Molinaro defeating him. Or for fun’s sake Zain-Sorensen semis last year. Sure he was gonna be great no doubt but no one knows if he would have been a four time NCAA champ. So many undefeated hammers as HS kids did not pan out in college. Anyway I am sure you are just trolling with your post taking digs at PSU. I guess that’s what you do when your jealous of your rivals success.
Zain stalled the whole match you Penn State pos. Lol
I'm trolling ped state on an iowa board?
World champ Steiber? You're an idiot, go back to your own board.
I was talking about Russell being a 2 time NCAA champ and the age difference.
Your boy Zain would still lose to Pico. Picos bitch. Lol
Btw, you started this, the thread had nothing to do with Penn State, I was actually using Zain as an example of how good Pico is because Zain is over the top good.
Doubt if any Michigan fans comment that I was trolling them by mentioning Russell as an example. Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Gutt15
I don't view it as a shame that Pico went to MMA. I'm a huge fan of both sports.

I hope some more of our current wrestling hammers make the move to MMA after they finish competing in wrestling. Would love to see Snyder, Zain, and Gilman make the move to MMA eventually. It's a great sport. There are so many amazing wrestlers who have went on to be incredibly successful and world champions in MMA. Iowa is lacking representation in MMA though.

The insecurity is strong with this one.

He lost to DH at Super 32. At Ironman he beat M. Jordan by 1. Pico would be a Sophomore this year. We all missed watching a great one.

Here's Pico getting destroyed by a guy that never won a NCAA Championship:

Here's Pico getting knocked out by a journeyman is his first MMA fight:

Saying he would of been a undefeated 4x Champ is laughable. His biggest claim to fame was making it to the Olympic Trials Finals due to a soft half bracket and beating an undersized Retherford. Hasn't won a wrestling event since 2013. Never won a Jr. World Title like several current college wrestlers that have lost. The guy was and still is more hype then anything.

I’ve seen him wrestle and fight in person. I would have enjoyed watching him wrestle in college. If he avoided injury, he would have been a dominant top tier guy. I saw him get obliterated in his first mma fight. And while he won his last fight by smash machine, his hands don’t look like the hands of a high caliber fighter yet. Maybe 4 years of college wrestling and Mma practice on the side would have been better preparation.

Seems like a good guy. I wish him well and will root for him. Don’t forget that Metcalf beat him at that exhibition meet in Iowa (acon?)

Man, these Penn State guys are insecure. Look guys, Zain is an amazing wrestler. He’s still got big things ahead of him. It is ok to admit that Aaron Pico absolutely owns him. Maybe that would have changed over time, but unfortunately he’s done wrestling. Zain will be ok.

I guess it's true, if you are always looking for slights or to be offended you can usually find it. Keep up the great work of not allowing results to support your place in wrestling.

Saying he would of been a undefeated 4x Champ is laughable. His biggest claim to fame was making it to the Olympic Trials Finals due to a soft half bracket and beating an undersized Retherford. Hasn't won a wrestling event since 2013. Never won a Jr. World Title like several current college wrestlers that have lost. The guy was and still is more hype then anything.
I said could have , not would have. Big difference.
You're right, he was all hype. Lol
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Pico

Man, these Penn State guys are insecure. Look guys, Zain is an amazing wrestler. He’s still got big things ahead of him. It is ok to admit that Aaron Pico absolutely owns him. Maybe that would have changed over time, but unfortunately he’s done wrestling. Zain will be ok.
You’re absolutely right, we can be defensive...no argument there but we are no different than any other fan base. Yes, Zain is an amazing wrestler and if Pico continued in the sport it’s quite reasonable to think that Pico would always be better. No shame in that and PSU fans need to look at the positives. We could have Sorenson in our lineup...a guy that gets owned by the guy that gets owned by Pico...:D

Last edited:
Hard to say what would have or could have happened. No doubt Pico got the better of Zain in the matches they had back a few years ago.

I know the only people turning this into Pico vs. Zain thing are the usual trolls (how is Johnstown Lumby not banned yet again), but it's an interesting comparison. Who knows how much better Pico would have gotten, we know how much stronger Zain has become, which is why I have a hard time thinking Pico would still beat him.

My money would be on Zain. I like the guy(s) who actually took the college wrestling path over someone who chose not to. I don't look down on him for chasing his dream, but I thought it was a given that everybody's dream was being a college wrestler.

As for talk of Pico going undefeated for a career? That's silliness.

I know the only people turning this into Pico vs. Zain thing are the usual trolls (how is Johnstown Lumby not banned yet again).
Strange, never took Sett1997 for a troll. You obviously do since his original post turned it into a Zain vs. Pico thing

And to answer your question...Two reasons. First, after all these years I STILL haven’t done anything to warrant a banning. Second reason, you’re not crying enough to mods. Step that up and you’ll get what you’re looking for....

Hard to say what would have or could have happened. No doubt Pico got the better of Zain in the matches they had back a few years ago.

I know the only people turning this into Pico vs. Zain thing are the usual trolls (how is Johnstown Lumby not banned yet again), but it's an interesting comparison. Who knows how much better Pico would have gotten, we know how much stronger Zain has become, which is why I have a hard time thinking Pico would still beat him.

My money would be on Zain. I like the guy(s) who actually took the college wrestling path over someone who chose not to. I don't look down on him for chasing his dream, but I thought it was a given that everybody's dream was being a college wrestler.

As for talk of Pico going undefeated for a career? That's silliness.

Not going to college worked well for Cejudo.

Reactions: ev_flores0331
Strange, never took Sett1997 for a troll. You obviously do since his original post turned it into a Zain vs. Pico thing

And to answer your question...Two reasons. First, after all these years I STILL haven’t done anything to warrant a banning. Second reason, you’re not crying enough to mods. Step that up and you’ll get what you’re looking for....
Yet you've been banned under 2 or 3 other names right? It's only a matter of time, I hope. Don't mind good discussion, your Sorenson crack is just you being a douche and if it would have been said about a ped state'r on the bwi board, it would have got you banned.

Reactions: LBlindHawk
Yet you've been banned under 2 or 3 other names right? It's only a matter of time, I hope. Don't mind good discussion, your Sorenson crack is just you being a douche and if it would have been said about a ped state'r on the bwi board, it would have got you banned.
Oh geesh....calm down and breathe. I was responding to Crablegs who pointed out how defensive PSU fans are. I actually agreed with him but also said every fanbase becomes defensive when it comes to their guy. I threw the Sorenson crack in there knowing full well one of you Iowa fans would become...yup.... you guessed it...defensive. I was proving my point. You just happened to be the unlucky fella to help me do that...

Oh geesh....calm down and breathe. I was responding to Crablegs who pointed out how defensive PSU fans are. I actually agreed with him but also said every fanbase becomes defensive when it comes to their guy. I threw the Sorenson crack in there knowing full well one of you Iowa fans would become...yup.... you guessed it...defensive. I was proving my point. You just happened to be the unlucky fella to help me do that...
Oh is that what you were doing? So the other 100 posts where all you do is belittle Iowa fans and wrestlers on the Iowa board, those are just you proving a point, not being a tool? Wow, my mind is blown, kinda like the end of The Sixth Sense, you are good.

By the way, when you first started posting over here as the original Johnstown, I actually thought you were a pretty good poster and pretty knowledgeable fan. Just sayin.

Oh is that what you were doing? So the other 100 posts where all you do is belittle Iowa fans and wrestlers on the Iowa board, those are just you proving a point, not being a tool? Wow, my mind is blown, kinda like the end of The Sixth Sense, you are good.

By the way, when you first started posting over here as the original Johnstown, I actually thought you were a pretty good poster and pretty knowledgeable fan. Just sayin.
You should really pay more attention. I do not... repeat ...I do not belittle Iowa fans unless they deserve it. Those are the ones who are usually associating PSU fans with that piece of shit Sandusky or the ones accusing Zain of juicing or those that want to cry about cheating with no evidence. Yes, they deserve some ribbing. As for your wrestlers, nope, never belittle them either. Don't get me wrong, I’ve made predictions or gave opinions on how they will do but never belittle them. They are freaking Division 1 wrestlers for a powerhouse program for Christ’s sakes. That would just be stupid...

Reactions: Kwoodhawk

For what it’s worth Pico didn’t beat Zain at the Olympic trials. Zain was on the other side of the bracket. He beat James Green first round then lost a tight one to Steiber in the quarters (something like 8-6). Steiber then got beat by Molinaro in the semis. I don’t think Pico and Zain have wrestled since the jr trials in Madison (2013 or 2014).

To me it’s not worth discussing ‘what if’ scenarios with Pico. The guy saw what he thought to be a better opportunity and left the sport at 19 or 20. If he drops another fight or 2 that decision may look foolish.

He lost to DH at Super 32. At Ironman he beat M. Jordan by 1. Pico would be a Sophomore this year. We all missed watching a great one.

For some reason I was thinking it was Ironman, but you are correct. Thx.

For what it’s worth Pico didn’t beat Zain at the Olympic trials. Zain was on the other side of the bracket. He beat James Green first round then lost a tight one to Steiber in the quarters (something like 8-6). Steiber then got beat by Molinaro in the semis. I don’t think Pico and Zain have wrestled since the jr trials in Madison (2013 or 2014).

To me it’s not worth discussing ‘what if’ scenarios with Pico. The guy saw what he thought to be a better opportunity and left the sport at 19 or 20. If he drops another fight or 2 that decision may look foolish.

Not every kid is cut out for college. Pico could be one of those who would have difficulty academically.

Kind of like Nico getting destroyed by a guy who never won an NCAA tourney? I have no dog in this hunt but just describing Reece as that (unless I missed a point) is a soft sell...how many world teams did he make?

Reactions: ev_flores0331
Why do people think because Pico isn’t wrestling in college he’s not attending college or won’t ever attend college?

I didn’t wrestle in college but they still let me in and even let me graduate. Crazy.
He has endorsement deals. He can’t ever wrestle d1.

That’s the point. You don’t have to wrestle in college to attend college.

ADVERTISEMENT