ADVERTISEMENT

Off Topic OT- Platooning hurt Kentucky's recruiting?

Khawk4

HB Legend
Jul 20, 2007
SIAP: Pretty interesting article from Yahoo Sports about Calipari's platoon system, and how its impacting their recruiting. I think it kind of shows that while these top 20 type kids coming out of HS want to win a NC, they place more value in their own personal stats, and honestly, I cant blame them. Its hard to tell a top prospect that for your only year or two in school, you are going to have to share minutes with other guys, for the sake of the team. Its pretty crazy that no one on Kentuckys team last year averaged over 25 mins a game, or scored more than 11 a game. Like I said, I get it though. The higher the kids stats are (mins, ppg), the higher the pick, more money, ect.

Whats also interesting is that Cal recognized that this system is being used against him on the recruiting trail by other coaches, and got out in front of it. He wrote a blog about it, stating how he's used it in the past, and how he will continue to use variations of it in the future. Say what you want about him (I personally think he's a sleaze ball), but he is very in tune with what players want, and is willing to get a head of whatever issues may rise up. Pretty crazy how a system used within one of the most successful co basketball teams we have seen in a while, is being viewed as a negative.

I think this all comes back to the dumb one-and-done rule the NBA has. I know they are concerned about themselves, and not the NCAA, but this is a perfect example of what is ruining the sport. I say make it that they can either come out of HS, or have to stay 3 yrs in college. And dont get me wrong, Im not shedding any tears for Kentucky, as I know they will be ok, but what Cal did to get all of those top players to buy into an unselfish, defensive minded system, is pretty incredible, and you would think with the success he had with it, these top-flight kids would be lining up around the block to play in it, but this season, they arent. I know its a small sample size, but there could be a trend developing.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab...ing-hurt-kentucky-s-recruiting-163937974.html

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News