ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Shortage of officials for youth and high school sports

I would do it when I retire. By then I will be a full on grumpy old man that won't take crap off any young whipper snappers or their parents.

When you think about it, when has complaining and being verbally abusive ever changed a call? Never. And if my kid ever started arguing with an official on the field I would kick my kid's ass myself.

In training right now as a new football ref. Watching the game, covering the game as a journalist, coaching the game at the youth level and being around it for 30+ years I thought I knew most of the rules but wow, looking at the materials and what's expected I've found a whole new appreciation for this even ahead of my first game.

Depending on role (Back/Side Judge/Linesman, etc.) you have to know your keys, responsibilities, where to lineup, what to watch and that's even before there's a penalty, etc. At least in high school football you have a crew, you are fairly far removed from the fans vs. basketball, etc.

Reactions: FWIW4922463
Long ago I concluded that before anyone could coach at any level, they should have to officiate their sport for a significant period. I also believe coaches would do themselves and their players a favor if they held intrasquad games and required their players to officiate. I've had my run-ins with officials, but I do believe having some experience on that side of things would provide some perspective and understanding--even empathy--that nothing else can. And perhaps that would be good for everyone.

Reactions: BigOHawk and rchawk
ADVERTISEMENT