ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Sports Illustrated - Nebraska Has Admitted Defeat

kelsoburn-kelso.gif

In the Forde article he mentions that 4 assistant coaches were fired. It is really going to affect their recruiting for this year. I'm sure some current recruits will reconsider and some current players may decide to go to the portal. It also raises the question about the assistants not fired, will they decide to look for opportunities elsewhere? The DC has some respect and with all the coaching changes he would be considered for jobs at some high profile places like USC or LSU. Given the circumstances I'm bailing if a good offer comes along.

It will be interesting to see how the team responds when it plays Wisconsin in 2 weeks. The last two games are nothing to play for types. No bowl, likely 3 and 8 after the Wisconsin game. The other aspect is how many fans will show up in Lincoln on the Friday they play Iowa?

The fact that OP still pretends to be an Iowa fan is pretty funny although in a sad kind of way. It's also annoying and embarrassing to real Iowa fans but it does make me chuckle sometimes. OP sucks

From a recruiting and retention standpoint, the fact that Frost is hanging on by a thread and most likely will be gone after next season may have a big impact on recruiting and keeping guys from hitting the portal.

From a recruiting and retention standpoint, the fact that Frost is hanging on by a thread and most likely will be gone after next season may have a big impact on recruiting and keeping guys from hitting the portal.
They are hoping for help in the transfer portal and maybe a coach or two tagging along.
It’s going to be a weird lockeroom with program guys and transfers. Add in a lame duck head coach and it’s going to take a miracle for nebby to go 6-6.
They will totally dominate the offseason as usual.

Maybe I am out of touch with the way football programs operate, but am asking this question in the hope of a serious answer--- how do you go forward without 4 offensive assistant coaches? What does practice look like? Player communications? Seems like they must go to something looking like high school coaching mode...

In the Forde article he mentions that 4 assistant coaches were fired. It is really going to affect their recruiting for this year. I'm sure some current recruits will reconsider and some current players may decide to go to the portal. It also raises the question about the assistants not fired, will they decide to look for opportunities elsewhere? The DC has some respect and with all the coaching changes he would be considered for jobs at some high profile places like USC or LSU. Given the circumstances I'm bailing if a good offer comes along.

It will be interesting to see how the team responds when it plays Wisconsin in 2 weeks. The last two games are nothing to play for types. No bowl, likely 3 and 8 after the Wisconsin game. The other aspect is how many fans will show up in Lincoln on the Friday they play Iowa?
they sell out every game regardless of how many fans show up.

Pretty harsh article. Probably well deserved.

But, just going out and getting a different coach is not going to fix it, so maybe Trev is going to try to fix the one he has. Next year they won't have the "big play, big mistake" QB.

And, who are they going to get? If you are an established, successful D-1 coach, do you want to go to Nebby? If you are a hot up and comer, do you want to go to Nebby?

Fire the coach sounds easy. It's not if you are Nebraska.

Well if you are one of the assistants that was retained, you would still be putting out feelers in case next year goes as it probably will.

I see a shift, Nebraska is a tough out. Brutal schedule, they are playing tough.
Going to be a really hard game for us to win this year.
I don't like the chances, yet I gained more hope as they elected to nearly self implode yesterday with a house cleaning. Maybe a built in excuse if they drop the last two?

Reactions: Slappy Pappy
No reason to fire all those assistants at this point in the season. After the season? Sure.

Why would any assistant worth a crap go there now? You're looking at a one year gig coaching for a guy who has no issue throwing you under the bus.

That program is a sinking ship where everyone who can will be jumping off this off season.

I just don't understand why you don't fire Frost, and if you decide you can't for whatever reason, why you are making the moves you are now and not during the off season, quietly.

I see a shift, Nebraska is a tough out. Brutal schedule, they are playing tough.
Going to be a really hard game for us to win this year.
Well yeah. We squeaked by the real NU last week and they were beaten by 50 by UNL. We got pasted the 2 weeks prior by Purdue and Wisconsin. Everyone is a tough out for Iowa right now.

Pretty harsh article. Probably well deserved.

But, just going out and getting a different coach is not going to fix it, so maybe Trev is going to try to fix the one he has. Next year they won't have the "big play, big mistake" QB.

And, who are they going to get? If you are an established, successful D-1 coach, do you want to go to Nebby? If you are a hot up and comer, do you want to go to Nebby?

Fire the coach sounds easy. It's not if you are Nebraska.
Agreed, I still go back to the "evaluating where we are compared to Iowa" statement.
They should be evaluating what they got themselves into when they joined the Big 10 conference.
Tells you how cushy the big 12 was and now the realigned big 12.

Agreed, I still go back to the "evaluating where we are compared to Iowa" statement.
They should be evaluating what they got themselves into when they joined the Big 10 conference.
Tells you how cushy the big 12 was and now the realigned big 12.
They did it because of the $$$$. From that perspective it was a good move. From a competitiveness perspective in football, not so much.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
88,000. What else is there to do?
Not only that, they will be behaving like they are 11-0, out of their minds, nothing fazes their lunatic cult base

and notice that they keep piling on more rituals there (based on copying other teams stadiums)...recently it's their version of Wisconsin's jump.

Correct. Iowa needs Nebraska to rise up and beat Wisky. They have the team that could do it physically, but yes how the team reacts to this news will be interesting.

Basically Alberts is doing the right thing for the program and the fan base, he's making it known that the favored son has 1 more year to show results, he made it less expensive to get rid of him if they have to do it, and they jettisoned coaches who should have been gone long ago. Canning a favored son causes a fracture no matter what, and by doing this Alberts is trying to pacify the elements of his donor base that want Frost gone now by making him get rid of assistants and leveraging a lowering of the buyout, and by the elements of the fan base that think it's not Frost's fault.

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
Maybe I am out of touch with the way football programs operate, but am asking this question in the hope of a serious answer--- how do you go forward without 4 offensive assistant coaches? What does practice look like? Player communications? Seems like they must go to something looking like high school coaching mode...
Move some analysts into coaching roles. Verducci could coach the oline

Nebraska football is effectively in the same place as Indiana basketball, with fan expectations based on what they saw in a fundamentally different era. Tradition - and by extension the great facilities and fan support it’s helped to build at both places - is very important, but it can no longer carry a program forward by itself, IMO.

The HUGE caveat separating the two? Indiana still sits in a state with elite talent to recruit, and a competent coach can get his third choices every year and still have a top 25 team.

Correct. Iowa needs Nebraska to rise up and beat Wisky. They have the team that could do it physically, but yes how the team reacts to this news will be interesting.

Basically Alberts is doing the right thing for the program and the fan base, he's making it known that the favored son has 1 more year to show results, he made it less expensive to get rid of him if they have to do it, and they jettisoned coaches who should have been gone long ago. Canning a favored son causes a fracture no matter what, and by doing this Alberts is trying to pacify the elements of his donor base that want Frost gone now by making him get rid of assistants and leveraging a lowering of the buyout, and by the elements of the fan base that think it's not Frost's fault.
That staff is pretty much screwed, even the DC. One more year (if that) then they are gone.

Nebraska football is effectively in the same place as Indiana basketball, with fan expectations based on what they saw in a fundamentally different era. Tradition - and by extension the great facilities and fan support it’s helped to build at both places - is very important, but it can no longer carry a program forward by itself, IMO.

The HUGE caveat separating the two? Indiana still sits in a state with elite talent to recruit, and a competent coach can get his third choices every year and still have a top 25 team.
Yes.
Much easier, and quicker, to rebuild a b-ball program compared to football. Sustainability not easy in either. But it only takes a couple of standouts plus a solid supporting cast to put together a team for an NCAA tourney run.

They just can't afford to keep paying coaches who don't work for them anymore.

That said, if there were ever a year Nebraska were to beat Iowa, this would be it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT