ADVERTISEMENT

OT-Spurrier quitting on his team

Dirk_Diggler

HB All-American
Jan 17, 2002
I find it interesting that nobody is mentioning Steve Spurrier quitting on his team at the halfway point of the season saying he is 'retiring' immediately.
Complete BS. Just because you are a legend in the College Ranks shouldn't make one void of scrutiny.
If he were 4-2 or 5-1, would have quit? NOPE.
ESPN, CFN and FOX are drooling all over his career as the 'old ball coach'.

What I will remember with Spurrier is how he peed down his leg in the NFL and quit on a bunch of college kids when they weren't winning.

Can't remember who I was listening to, either SVP or Lebatard (sp?) but they were saying if this isn't a health related issue they thought it was a very classless move and that he was basically quitting on the kids. I agree with you though, he is basically getting a pass.

Reactions: naturalmwa
Can't remember who I was listening to, either SVP or Lebatard (sp?) but they were saying if this isn't a health related issue they thought it was a very classless move and that he was basically quitting on the kids. I agree with you though, he is basically getting a pass.

I disagree. He mentioned recruiting several times. If is pending departure, (whether it be a year or two) was being used against him why shouldn't he immediately step away to try and save this year's class for the next guy?

Spurrier did the right thing. He knew he was the problem and he got out of the way for the next guy to fix it. He knew when it was time to go.

Reactions: CoachRickVice
I disagree. He mentioned recruiting several times. If is pending departure, (whether it be a year or two) was being used against him why shouldn't he immediately step away to try and save this year's class for the next guy?

I disagree. Make the announcement that at the end of the year you will be stepping aside. Quitting now, not retiring, makes him a quitter. The only one to benefit from him quitting now was Steve Spurrier.

He has admitted that he was responsible for their losses and felt to help the future of the Gamecock football program, he made the decision to step down immediately. I think this was probably best for all parties. Of course, the "Spurrier Haters" spin it differently.

At 70 years old, get off his ass! As stated "he" thought he was the problem.
He's second to Bear Bryant for SEC wins, enough said. Hope he enjoys retirement.

Props to Jesse Palmer on Thursday night. He played for Spurrier at Florida and he said I have a real issue with Coach Spurrier just quitting on his team in the middle of the season just because things aren't going well. It's not the coach I knew said Palmer.

I think it's chicken shit. Retire at the end of the year. THe fact that you quit and then make your way to game day 6 days later screams quitter. Maybe it's a Florida thing with Urban using the health crises and family time excuse only to follow around ESPN for a year.

Not buying it at all. He quit on this team because they were losing and he said so himself. So if they were winning he would be fine with finishing out the year? Is quitting right now really going to have a positive impact on recruiting? USC does not have a new coach right now so I do not think so. What do high school players who committed to playing for Spurier do now?

The telling fact is he is going to the Big House to be in the pre game show and watch Michigan & MSU instead of attending the South Carolina game to support the team. Would he not be in the stands for their games if his resignation was truly motivated to help them?

He's an excellent coach and did a lot for South Carolina but he's about putting himself first.

On one hand it's easy to say he quit on his team, on the other he got out of the way. My thought is if his heart is not in it and he feels he is as a problem then he did the right thing stepping away. In the long run it's probably for the best because if he had planed on just finishing the season you know he wouldn't be on the recruiting trail.

At 70 years old, get off his ass! As stated "he" thought he was the problem.
He's second to Bear Bryant for SEC wins, enough said. Hope he enjoys retirement.

I think I heard that he stated at the press conference that he was resigning not retiring. Leaving things open for a return to coaching?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT