ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Sumo

akaoni

HR All-State
Jan 10, 2013
Iowa City, IA
Hi All,

It's the off season, and although there are exciting wrestling-related events going on (BTS, Northern Plains) I though that some folks might be interested in something a bit more...exotic.

Currently, the Natsu Basho (May/Summer Sumo Tournament) is taking place in Japan. For those of you who have watched, Sumo can be a pretty interesting sport once you get past the excessive flesh and butt cheeks. In the past it has been hard to find a good site to watch tournaments, but currently there are a couple of YouTube channels which post digests which show most if not all of the matches from the Makuuchi (Top) division.

Kintamayama: The grandfather, pieces together broadcasts of Sumo to show most if not all of the sumo matches. His videos generally have Japanese language audio with his observations in text on the screen. Not the most polished presentation, but he usually has all the day's events up first, and will often follow with a "Proper" version which will show any matches missed in early rough cut.

Robert Mensing: English-language digest of previous-day sumo. Much better for newbies/non-Japanese speakers. Gives good English play by play and highlights different winning techniques (Kimarite). Downside: generally comes out later than Kintamayama's video.

There are a couple of rikishi (sumo wrestlers) who I think folks would find interesting:

Ishiura: Small muscular guy near the bottom ranking of the top division, tends to get under the bigger guys, get to their belts, and maneuver them out of the ring.

Ura: Short little ball of frenetic energy and balance. Also, adept at submarining his opponents. Uses agility and balance to throw off opponents.

Hakuhou: One of the greatest Yokozuna (Grand Champion) in Sumo history. Mongolian champion with more championships than anyone in the modern era. Now on the downside of his career but an amazing technician who also fights with a chip on his shoulder.

Kisenosato: Newest Yokuzuna. First Japanese rikishi to ascend to Grand Champion in a decade. Has won the last two tournament, the last of which he prevailed in spite of having a separated shoulder (much like Cory Clark). Has stoked greater interest in Sumo amongst Japanese.

If you haven't watched sumo before I invite you to give it a go. It may seem odd, but after a bit you begin to see the art in it. It's not just big fat guys running into one another.

Also, please don't refer to the mawashi as a diaper. Respect the belt or I'll be forced to post some pictures of me participating in a sumo tourney when I lived in Japan.

giphy.gif

Hi All,

It's the off season, and although there are exciting wrestling-related events going on (BTS, Northern Plains) I though that some folks might be interested in something a bit more...exotic.

Currently, the Natsu Basho (May/Summer Sumo Tournament) is taking place in Japan. For those of you who have watched, Sumo can be a pretty interesting sport once you get past the excessive flesh and butt cheeks. In the past it has been hard to find a good site to watch tournaments, but currently there are a couple of YouTube channels which post digests which show most if not all of the matches from the Makuuchi (Top) division.

Kintamayama: The grandfather, pieces together broadcasts of Sumo to show most if not all of the sumo matches. His videos generally have Japanese language audio with his observations in text on the screen. Not the most polished presentation, but he usually has all the day's events up first, and will often follow with a "Proper" version which will show any matches missed in early rough cut.

Robert Mensing: English-language digest of previous-day sumo. Much better for newbies/non-Japanese speakers. Gives good English play by play and highlights different winning techniques (Kimarite). Downside: generally comes out later than Kintamayama's video.

There are a couple of rikishi (sumo wrestlers) who I think folks would find interesting:

Ishiura: Small muscular guy near the bottom ranking of the top division, tends to get under the bigger guys, get to their belts, and maneuver them out of the ring.

Ura: Short little ball of frenetic energy and balance. Also, adept at submarining his opponents. Uses agility and balance to throw off opponents.

Hakuhou: One of the greatest Yokozuna (Grand Champion) in Sumo history. Mongolian champion with more championships than anyone in the modern era. Now on the downside of his career but an amazing technician who also fights with a chip on his shoulder.

Kisenosato: Newest Yokuzuna. First Japanese rikishi to ascend to Grand Champion in a decade. Has won the last two tournament, the last of which he prevailed in spite of having a separated shoulder (much like Cory Clark). Has stoked greater interest in Sumo amongst Japanese.

If you haven't watched sumo before I invite you to give it a go. It may seem odd, but after a bit you begin to see the art in it. It's not just big fat guys running into one another.

Also, please don't refer to the mawashi as a diaper. Respect the belt or I'll be forced to post some pictures of me participating in a sumo tourney when I lived in Japan.

You must have read my mind. I have NHK and I DVR the highlights. I got into Sumo a few years ago and I really enjoy it now that I somewhat know what's going on.. Two other wrestlers that you didn't mention that I like who are on the smaller side are Chiyonokuni (Maegashira) and Harumafuji (Yokuzuna).

You must have read my mind. I have NHK and I DVR the highlights. I got into Sumo a few years ago and I really enjoy it now that I somewhat know what's going on.. Two other wrestlers that you didn't mention that I like who are on the smaller side are Chiyonokuni (Maegashira) and Harumafuji (Yokuzuna).

Chiyonokuni is a very active rikishi but he's had a tough road so far this tourney facing mainly Yokozuna and Ozeki. He did knock off Yokozuna Kakuryuu, however he was not looking good prior to dropping out with injury. Harumafuji is one of my favorites as well.

I have not watched Sumo in several years, but have always enjoyed its "differences" and pomp, traditions, etc. (better than watching Freestyle, cough, cough....). Every now and again I'd catch it on the tube and stop and watch it, but haven't come across a Sumo match on TV in quite some time. Hope to remember this post and seek some out.

I have not watched Sumo in several years, but have always enjoyed its "differences" and pomp, traditions, etc. (better than watching Freestyle, cough, cough....). Every now and again I'd catch it on the tube and stop and watch it, but haven't come across a Sumo match on TV in quite some time. Hope to remember this post and seek some out.

Not sure if you have NHK where you live, but they show 30 minute highlights of the top matches each day of the tourney. My wife is Japanese and we used to add TVJAPAN to our cable package and I would watch the entire 3 hour coverage each day of the tourney, but we just dropped it recently so I have to settle for the highlights on NHK. The 3 hour coverage is cool cause you get to see all of the pre-match pageantry which is interesting.

Reactions: ILhawk41
Not sure if you have NHK where you live, but they show 30 minute highlights of the top matches each day of the tourney. My wife is Japanese and we used to add TVJAPAN to our cable package and I would watch the entire 3 hour coverage each day of the tourney, but we just dropped it recently so I have to settle for the highlights on NHK. The 3 hour coverage is cool cause you get to see all of the pre-match pageantry which is interesting.
I'm not sure if I have NHK or not. I have about a thousand channels it seems (which I should for what I pay every month! Ha!), but don't recall that one specifically. I'll try to remember to give it a look. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: Grass
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT