ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Supercool - The Wave residual benefits

Harrier

HB Heisman
Sep 30, 2001
Hi all,

Just had a brief email exchange with my sister (trust me: you don't want to see any pics!).

She shared that a classmate I graduated with back in the Dark Ages has a grandchild born with a kidney disease that is being treated/addressed at Stead Family Children's Hospital across from Kinnick.

Because the disease caused his kidneys to be enlarged (full of cysts) they had to remove both which then caused lung issues. He has a trach tube in. The parents have been at U of I Stead center almost since his birth. They had just built a new home in Ankeny but are living in an apartment in IC. Anyway, because of "the Wave" tradition and the mother posting views of it on social media & telling of their situation a donor has been found. He will receive kidney transplant Jan 9.

Wow, just wow. Thought this off shoot of the tradition from the football game should be lauded for the residual benefits its creating, at least in this instance.

Nice to know that there are residual values in 'real life' events that athletics can 'give back' to the community at large.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News