ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Top American Research Universities

Panthergrowl13

HB All-American
Nov 11, 2002
The Center for Measuring University Performance recently listed the Best American Research Universities (2013).
New this year they use an overall Power Ranking of the Top 137 Research Universities.

The Big 10 did extremely well in the ranking.

Listed below is a list of how our schools rank in our respective Conferences.

Big Ten School Power Ranking

Michigan # 5
Wisconsin #12
Minnesota #17
OSU #20
Northwestern #21
Illinois #26
PSU #31
Purdue #35
Maryland #37
MSU #41
Iowa #42
Rutgers #45
Indiana #63
Nebraska #86

ACC School Power Ranking

Duke #13
UNC #19
Pitt #22
GT #33
UVA #38
NC State #49
ND #51
VT #52
Miami #59
FSU #70
UL #91
Clemson #100
Wake #119

Thought you guys would find this interesting. If anyone is interested in seeing the data and criteria used for this ranking you can google "The Center for Measuring University Performance". A very comprehensive assessment of data and facts.
Your in state rival Iowa State had a Power Ranking of #69.

I see you have the Pitt game listed on another OP. I think it will be another game which could go either way.
However, I feel Pitt should be more experienced this year. Our top players last year were Sophs (QB-new),RB and WR.
Although we have a new HC (Narduzzi) and coaching staff, so will have to see how that goes.

Looking forward to the game.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

This post was edited on 2/22 9:06 AM by Panthergrowl13

This post was edited on 2/22 9:48 AM by Panthergrowl13

This post was edited on 2/22 10:15 AM by Panthergrowl13

Look for Wisconsin to drop hard in those ranking if Scott Walker (a college dropout) gets his way: a $300 MILLION slashing of the UW System. This fast-track political assault--devoid of public input or in-depth public debate and analysis of the long-term implications--follows Walker's failed attempt to flip UW's stated mission from being a center of noble learning and exploration (the extremely successful "Wisconsin Idea") into a jobs training enterprise akin, some would argue, to a community college.

Originally posted by Kinnick4Ever:

Look for Wisconsin to drop hard in those ranking if Scott Walker (a college dropout) gets his way: a $300 MILLION slashing of the UW System. This fast-track political assault--devoid of public input or in-depth public debate and analysis of the long-term implications--follows Walker's failed attempt to flip UW's stated mission from being a center of noble learning and exploration (the extremely successful "Wisconsin Idea") into a jobs training enterprise akin, some would argue, to a community college.
Rachel Maddow is glad you watch her program to get your news.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Predictable response. Slashing $300 MILLION from the UW budget will do irreparable harm, regardless of your political viewpoint.

From what I gleen from the report, these standings are based on federal grants given for research. So it would not effect Wisconsin's ranking whatsoever.

Originally posted by twindman:

From what I gleen from the report, these standings are based on federal grants given for research. So it would not effect Wisconsin's ranking whatsoever.
A $300 million cut to the UW system budget would make Wisconsin a lesser candidate for federal grants, as it would impact their facilities and staffing. Their ability to win grants could be damaged, lowering the number they win over time.

1) it's to the system, some 20-30 different schools, not just UW-Madison.
2) Roughly 1/3 is for UW-Madison
3) It's over 2 years
4) They have reserves to cover much of the cut.

Originally posted by UNIowaHawk:
1) it's to the system, some 20-30 different schools, not just UW-Madison.
2) Roughly 1/3 is for UW-Madison
3) It's over 2 years
4) They have reserves to cover much of the cut.
Thanks for clearing that up for us Tonette.
wink.r191677.gif

So how does Scott walkers academic record not come out before this? I am seriously baffled at how that wouldn't have been front and center during a campaign. It any if the other times he has done something controversial. What took so long? It does seem the uw system is a little bloated though and I'm not quite sure one needs a college degree to be a politician. As walker has demonstrated he can and has beaten people that evidently have degrees.

Based on those numbers it sure would have been nice to get Pitt in the B1G rather than Nebraska. I wonder where Mizzou (to lazy to look it up) ended up as they were another name flying around the rumor mill.

Missouri is 74th in the power ranking.

The original post shows why Maryland and Rutgers were added, and were slam dunks on an institutional level.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT