ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Which wrestling mat should I buy for my basement?

I'm looking to get a wrestling mat for my basement for my sons to use. I did some searching on the internet and found this one that seems pretty good. Just curious if anyone has any experience with this or any other mat that you would recommend. Thanks.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...duct_PageElement_product_rr_2_3488_&rrec=true
This is what I would do

f86465d3925995f6851e80f886b9e7cb.jpg

I'm looking to get a wrestling mat for my basement for my sons to use. I did some searching on the internet and found this one that seems pretty good. Just curious if anyone has any experience with this or any other mat that you would recommend. Thanks.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...duct_PageElement_product_rr_2_3488_&rrec=true

We bought a 10 x 10 dollamur mat a few years ago. I really like it. Very light weight and easy to pack away. I bought it directly from the company. Much less expensive than what you have listed. I would buy direct or at least shop around for dollamur mats from another company.

--Ohio

Reactions: artradley
Go to eBay and look. Search "Dollamur Wrestling Mat." You'll get a much better price. Dollamur often has left over pieces for sale and the cost is a bargain. Also, get as much mat as your space will allow. Wrestling mat surface area is like closet space. You will never regret having more. If you have more room than a 10x10 space, get more mat. Typically, Dollamur and Tiffin mats are all 6 feet wide sections, with the length that varies... Also, they are easy to cut along the crease of the flexi-roll to better size and exact fit if you go to a hardware store and get a big serrated knife to cut it to your specs.
Plus, they roll up easy, and store easy.

Thanks for all of the advice. The one I linked above is their “Flexi-Connect” version that connects via velcro so you don’t have to tape the two pieces together every time you put it together. think it costs roughly $75 more than the equivalent mat without the velcro. I’ll definitely look into whether I can get something cheaper from EBay or direct from the company. And I’ll also look around and see if I could get a 12x12 mat. I agree that bigger is better - especially since it looks like the pieces are pretty easy to roll up and store in the closet when I’m not using it.

I just did a quick search on EBay and found tons of dollamur mats but nothing much cheaper than $500 for a 10x10. I wonder if they’ve just increased in price in recent years? Or else maybe I’m just not searching for the right thing.

Contact Dollamur directly. They always have damaged pieces (slight damage). Price much cheaper.

Just one word of caution. I was in the same position about 10 years ago, and after visiting with John and the mat reps, went with a Resilite traditional remnant to fill the space. 2 kids and their friends/partners going at it. Even the mat reps told me then they didn't know how they would hold up. Even talking to Resilite now for new room mat at the HS, they say go traditional as too much wear and tear in practice room.

A lot depends on use-didn't allow any other use of that space, so didn't have to put up. 14 x 24 remnant was perfect.

University of Iowa just purchased new mats for the wrestling room. They were going to sell the old
ones. Not sure if they did. You could contact the wrestling office.

I have a 10x10 in my basement. I would have gotten something a little bigger if I had the room.

AK Athletics was the company. I wanted one extra thick so I think it was like $6-700.

Worth every penny.

I was also in same position about 15 years ago. We did find traditional 10x10 that we bought from another club kid that had outgrown.

We paid about $400 back then and it was worth every penny and minute. Not only was it used for wrestling, gymnastics and many mini basement tournaments when kids came over.

Recently my wife posted it on Craigslist and sold it in about a week. Someone came to CR from and I helped load it up and sent it to a new home. Sad day in my house. BTW we got about 90% of what we originally paid for the mat. If you keep it in decent shape someone will be crazy enough to buy and use your used mat.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT