ADVERTISEMENT

OT: whose the toughest Hawkeye FB player of all time?

tenor.gif
clearly you didn't watch the 2017 outback bowl.

it's ok, you didn't miss much ;)

Reactions: Hawkeyes4Life32
Has to be an OL or DL guy. Those guys have to be brawlers on every down. Anybody that has ever spent time on the line knows it's an ugly battle in the trenches. I was a WR and LB but had to do some spot duty at DE. There are some battles on the line. A lot of trash talk.

Chillest and craziest but nowhere near others mentioned.
I recall reading an SI article about him getting in a fight with Robert Gallery in practice and ripping Gallery’s face mask off his helmet.

Edit: this is what I get for replying before reading the whole thread...

Sanders didn't hurt himself in college but had some trouble staying healthy with the Colts. The year he was injured with the Colts he returned in time to carry the defense almost single handed to the Super Bowl win.

Wow, lots of great history on some all time Hawk bad asses! How about the special teams gunner who had to stop playing because he kept getting concussed blowing up special teams plays. "The Irish car bomb", Jamie Murphy......

I was absolutely getting in this thread to mention him. Not healthy at all but if he still doesn't have a concussion, I would be shocked. This guy hit someone hard every play.
I would pay attention to every kickoff just to see him smoke someone.

I remember a game where Gallery puked and then went back out and played. Now THAT is tough.

Larry Station and Chad Greenway.
Greenway was a slick athlete, and became a very good pro, so he was certainly tough, but I wouldn't put him in the same category of tough guy as Abdul Hodge or like some of the headknockers in this thread. Rusk, Sanders, Gallery, Murphy, Brady Ross. Hell how about Drake Kulick, who broke his leg I believe, and when they were carting him off the field, He said, "you SOB's better win this game", that was a tough guy right there.....

Reactions: jimbob22
Gary Snook
Snook's passing ability had to be seen to be believed. Could throw it a mile, but also could throw a soft pass that was easy to catch. He may still hold the Iowa state track record for longest fb throw. No longer an event.

Snook's passing ability had to be seen to be believed. Could throw it a mile, but also could throw a soft pass that was easy to catch. He may still hold the Iowa state track record for longest fb throw. No longer an event.
Any idea how far he threw it?

Any idea how far he threw it?
Turns out Gary Eggers of Audubon set the record in 1963 at 266.5 feet (about 89 yards.) Snook of City High won the state track meet event in '61 and '62 with throws of 237 and 228 feet. Of note, Denny Pauling of Paullina won the Class B in '61 at 196 feet. He was Iowa basketball MVP in 65-66. Snook apparently never held the record. Mike Reilly of Dubuque won the state meet in '60 with 242 feet. Reilly was all-conference at Iowa and played in NFL. Event discontinued after 1963.

https://globegazette.com/sports/kir...cle_4e40f0b0-b4fa-5e06-b87b-c0f8f287c9fb.html

Reactions: Herkmeister
Sanders has to be the winner by far. Kirk said that when he showed up at Iowa it was like having your big brother show up at an alley fight when you were getting picked on. KF said by the middle of his freshman year they didn't have him practice anymore because he kept injuring players. I remember an all American tight end from Ohio State say he hadn't ever been hit that hard. He caught a pass over the middle and sanders hit him so hard in the thy that he had to leave the game for ten minutes.The weird thing about Bob is he wouldn't have been called for targeting because he hit very low. I remember the first game he played for the hawks was against Kansas St and I believe he broke the kick returners leg on the opening kick off.
My second pick would be Andre Tippett followed by the Tama Tornado

I may have mentioned it before, but I believe it was Sanders first start against Wisconsin. I only remember Hawks got beat, a bad call somewhere, but after the game it was reported that Sconny players were hobbling back to the bus. I think Bob had 17 tackles that day, and put a hurt on several players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT