ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Will Wade / LSU

Jul 30, 2004
There may have already been another post about this, but I continue to be amazed that Will Wade (who was fired 5 days ago) survived for as long as he did at LSU. I have linked an article, but below are a few of the things that stood out to me:

• From what I have heard over the years (and observed as a part of the FBI ordeal launched in 2017), the head coaches who are willing to cheat in order to land players will maintain plausible deniability, and the "dirty work" is delegated to assistants, boosters, and "runners." For the most part, Will Wade handled the majority of the cheating himself, even making some payments from his own bank account.
  • One of the payments that Wade is alleged to have made is a transfer to the ex-fiance of a recruit to effectively buy her silence about improper benefits paid to said recruit.
  • After the assistant coaches (Arizona, USC, Oklahoma State, Auburn) runners, and shoe guys were arrested and federally charged in September of 2017, Wade continued cheating, allegedly arranging payments in 2018. I would think that most people who see an associate (Christian Dawkins) get charged by the Feds for certain conduct would be spooked by said conduct, but Wade allegedly was not scared off.
  • Wade was suspended in March 2019 when it was revealed that he was on an FBI wiretap with Christian Dawkins discussing a "strong-a** offer" that he had made to an LSU recruit. Incredibly, one of Wade's assistants (who was also fired) is alleged to have made a $300K offer to a recruit in the spring of 2020, AFTER Wade had been suspended and many of us had heard the wiretapped conversation.
If this is all true, one could probably conclude that Will Wade is a complete narcissist.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News