ADVERTISEMENT

OT: yard work and eventually house stuff

Thank you much! I'm definitely trying this. 25 years ago I was told round up was the safest chemical in the world by my local county conservation dept I think we are learning otherwise
The truth normally comes out eventually. Round up & other weed control products with the ingredient glyphosate are not safe at all.

The truth normally comes out eventually. Round up & other weed control products with the ingredient glyphosate are not safe at all.
Long-time Iowa wrestling fan, an even longer fan of Iowa agriculture/farming.

Most Iowa grain crops are Genetically Modified Organism (marketed as Monsanto’s Roundup Ready). These grain crops are resistant to glyphosate, a herbicide contained in many Monsanto products. Note that glyphosate is marketed as a pre-emergent (apply before weed emerges from ground). Nevertheless it will probable kill your lawn weeds, and your lawn. And in all probability destroy your wife’s new rose bush. A word to the wise should be sufficient; do not apply glyphosate to your wife’s new rose bush. Always read the label.

Some Monsanto products may contain dicamba, a post-emergent herbicide (applied after weed emerges from ground). Lots of litigation/uncertainty surrounding this formulation/product. At this time I would categorically avoid dicamba formulations. Always read the label.

The University of Iowa 2022-2023 wrestling roster has been posted (link). Cullan Schriever, hope for the best, my guy.

https://hawkeyesports.com/sports/wrestling/roster/

Last edited:
Long-time Iowa wrestling fan, an even longer fan of Iowa agriculture/farming.

Most Iowa grain crops are Genetically Modified Organism (marketed as Monsanto’s Roundup Ready). These grain crops are resistant to glyphosate, a herbicide contained in many Monsanto products. Note that glyphosate is marketed as a pre-emergent (apply before weed emerges from ground). Nevertheless it will probable kill your lawn weeds, and your lawn. And in all probability destroy your wife’s new rose bush. A word to the wise should be sufficient; do not apply glyphosate to your wife’s new rose bush. Always read the label.

Some Monsanto products may contain dicamba, a post-emergent herbicide (applied after weed emerges from ground). Lots of litigation/uncertainty surrounding this formulation/product. At this time I would categorically avoid dicamba formulations. Always read the label.

The University of Iowa 2022-2023 wrestling roster has been posted (link). Cullan Schriever, hope for the best, my guy.

https://hawkeyesports.com/sports/wrestling/roster/
Most informative. Thanks Burk!

Reactions: el dub
Take it from an old guy, he doesn't want you picking battles. He wants you to stay away from them completely. If he wants to piss off of the back porch....you let him. Keep your mouth shut about the way the man lives. If you don't, he'd rather just do without the companionship... lol

okay, as an old guy who sounds like he relates to my dad… I need a little help:

my dad snacks a lot. Doesn’t always use a plate and is a little messy if an eater, So there are crumbs. When my mom was alive he was a neat freak (read: he didn’t wanna get yelled at by his wife). I don’t care about the crumbs, I’ll vaccuum. But some foods (raisins) are toxic to the dog.

should I:
1) channel my mother and nag him? This sounds like the worst option

2) discuss it over and over, hope it registers for him the dog can die (everyone loves the dog. My dad will tell me to kick rocks, never the dog).

3) since I do the grocery shopping, just make sure I am not bringing in those types of foods and just buy other things for my dad to snack on?

anyone wanna chime in with experience or a well timed joke, please do so.

my dad snacks a lot. Doesn’t always use a plate and is a little messy if an eater, So there are crumbs. When my mom was alive he was a neat freak (read: he didn’t wanna get yelled at by his wife). I don’t care about the crumbs, I’ll vaccuum. But some foods (raisins) are toxic to the dog.

should I:

2) discuss it over and over, hope it registers for him the dog can die (everyone loves the dog. My dad will tell me to kick rocks, never the dog).

3) since I do the grocery shopping, just make sure I am not bringing in those types of foods and just buy other things for my dad to snack on?

Well, I think you inherited some of your parents fussy ways. Honestly. Stop sweating the little things. No dog died from eating a single raisin. I didn’t even know that was a thing and have had dogs most of my life.

Hats off for what you are doing to help your parents. But life is way to short to sweat those details you seem to be focusing on.

Good luck, brother. Your parents are lucky to have a son like you.

should I:

Nag, nag, nag...

• Haha
First off, I appreciate y’all’s words of encouragement.

second, I do want to do it right, and that’s a gift and a curse. I should work on that.

third, this board is the reason I will always cheer for Iowa unless it’s going up against Rutgers. In any sport.

Well, I think you inherited some of your parents fussy ways. Honestly. Stop sweating the little things. No dog died from eating a single raisin. I didn’t even know that was a thing and have had dogs most of my life.

Hats off for what you are doing to help your parents. But life is way to short to sweat those details you seem to be focusing on.

Good luck, brother. Your parents are lucky to have a son like you.
^^^^This^^^^

But if I have to pick from your options, do #2 once....not over and over.... for basic respect and in case it does register/retain....but either way, stick with #3. He'll be fine without raisins, and you'll worry less and enjoy time with him more.

Now, gonna go feed my in-laws annoying dog some raisins and see what happens. 🙂

I'm no lawn expert but this thing makes ripping out dandelions a breeze. Gets the root and you can eject the weed straight into a bag without bending over. Takes out a small chunk around the dandelion but worth it to save your back. Make sure your Amazon Smile is set to HWC if you get one ;)

Fiskar 4-Claw Weeder

I'm no lawn expert but this thing makes ripping out dandelions a breeze. Gets the root and you can eject the weed straight into a bag without bending over. Takes out a small chunk around the dandelion but worth it to save your back. Make sure your Amazon Smile is set to HWC if you get one ;)

Fiskar 4-Claw Weeder
Right on. They also make my favorite trimming scissors.

Last edited:
Reactions: PD4thespawn
Any tips for what to put on a furniture leg for toe stubbing prevention? I bought my dad a nice new adjustable bed for when he’s home from rehab (like in hospitals, but king size). The leg on the frame is 6 inches off set from the old frame. Muscle memory has me trying to cut the corner and stubbing my toe. Wanna prevent it for him.

Was thinking pool noodle, but if anyone has tried anything else, I’m all ears.

Any tips for what to put on a furniture leg for toe stubbing prevention? I bought my dad a nice new adjustable bed for when he’s home from rehab (like in hospitals, but king size). The leg on the frame is 6 inches off set from the old frame. Muscle memory has me trying to cut the corner and stubbing my toe. Wanna prevent it for him.

Old pillow

Pipe insulation?

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof

I’ve always had good success smoking my weeds
Lol.

But I was going to suggest using a propane blow torch. I use one to burn some grass and native flower gardens I have, and being an old boy that still likes to play with fire, I then wander around and burn whatever else I can find like weeds in concrete cracks. Don't have to kneel or bend down, and get to play with fire again when any weeds return.

• Love
Reactions: natchrlman
Okay guys, I can’t bear to ask in the actual OT, but if anyone in my circle is gonna know this stuff it’s y’all.

long and short is I’m moving back with my dad to provide him companionship and care. A lot of deferred maintenance at the house slowly getting addressed. One is the yard.

the yard has weeds. Some are growing where the stone masonry has “seams” and where the stone meets the driveway. I want to make the house and yard constantly presentable.

1) weed removal: MUST BE PET FRIENDLY. what do you guys suggest?

2) tools for the trade? I need a dope battery powered light use leaf blower to keep the attached garage, walkway, and driveway clean. If the system has an interchangeable battery and I can use it for a weed whacker, leaf blower and anything else I need, it’s a home run. Anyone like and use the ryobi system?

this is for light use. Someone will be coming for lawn mowing and likely snow shoveling too. This is just for day to day light maintence.

Do a google search for applying salt to weedy areas. I bought 50 pounds of salt that is meant for large animal food additive and it only cost about $6. You can spray salt mixed with water on weeds but I do not think it is good for grass or plants so it is non-selective.

But it is not poison like some people call roundup.

Maybe this has already been mentioned but corn gluten is sold and can be used as a non poison pre-emergent. Just google 'corn gluten as a pre-emergent'

Also a propane burner can burn out the weeds but if you dont want to add CO2 to the atmosphere then not a good choice. I just think burning out a few weeds in the sidewalk and driveway cracks will add that much carbon in the air.

Also a propane burner can burn out the weeds but if you dont want to add CO2 to the atmosphere then not a good choice. I just think burning out a few weeds in the sidewalk and driveway cracks will add that much carbon in the air.
A staffer turned me on to "Hot Mix" years ago. 2 gal pump up sprayer. 2x Round up, dishsoap for stick, use 3 parts water and one part gas to fill it. It'll sterilize whatever it touches. No smoking while applying.

Reactions: uihawk82
Okay y’all, more deferred maintenance to address.

over a decade ago, some trees were removed. We have depressions in the ground now, and they are getting deeper. See #1 in the link

sadly, I don’t have multiple seasons to fox this problem. I’m thinking of just getting a lawn guy to come in and rip up the yard and do new soil and level it out. Am I being too aggressive? It’s awfully close to the structure (less than 15 yards) and I’m not okay with that.

over a decade ago, some trees were removed. We have depressions in the ground now, and they are getting deeper. See #1 in the link

sadly, I don’t have multiple seasons to fox this problem. I’m thinking of just getting a lawn guy to come in and rip up the yard and do new soil and level it out. Am I being too aggressive? It’s awfully close to the structure (less than 15 yards) and I’m not okay with that.

Sounds like a lot of effort for a cosmetic problem, unless there is more to the story that I missed.

I’d prolly do nothing or add soil to low spots.

So you have depressions? How about an antidepressant? ;)
Sorry, couldn't resist. 🙄

Bring in a heavy bulldozer to smash the rest of the yard down to the level of the depressions.

If over a decade ago and still getting deeper, makes me wonder why. Any kind of drainage or underground water leak?? If not, I agree with el dub. Or just plant a nice shrub in each depression. Your proposal semms a little extreme to me.

Sounds like a lot of effort for a cosmetic problem, unless there is more to the story that I missed.

I’d prolly do nothing or add soil to low spots.
Is it cosmetic? I dunno how far roots go.
Bring in a heavy bulldozer to smash the rest of the yard down to the level of the depressions.

If over a decade ago and still getting deeper, makes me wonder why. Any kind of drainage or underground water leak?? If not, I agree with el dub. Or just plant a nice shrub in each depression. Your proposal semms a little extreme to me.

No leaks in the basement but the yard drains weird now. After a rain storm, the back portion of the yard drains very slowly.

my big fear is that the tree was about 4 stories tall when removed. Based on other trees in the neighborhood, it would be 5 stories tall today. Can that root system extend the 8 yards to the house, and if so, will the decay of those roots eventually cause me further issues?

Is it cosmetic? I dunno how far roots go.

No leaks in the basement but the yard drains weird now. After a rain storm, the back portion of the yard drains very slowly.

my big fear is that the tree was about 4 stories tall when removed. Based on other trees in the neighborhood, it would be 5 stories tall today. Can that root system extend the 8 yards to the house, and if so, will the decay of those roots eventually cause me further issues?
Shouldn’t cause you more issues with foundation of house. Those roots are done growing.

A staffer turned me on to "Hot Mix" years ago. 2 gal pump up sprayer. 2x Round up, dishsoap for stick, use 3 parts water and one part gas to fill it. It'll sterilize whatever it touches. No smoking while applying.
And maybe no breathing either. Sounds like it will sterilize the weeds, the patio, the dog, and maybe any other living thing that gets in the way.

This morning, I just pulled some poison ivy in the back yard (with rubber gloves), and I wish that I'd used your concoction instead. At least I'd enjoy a weed-free yard, until the health effects arrive.

Last edited:
  • Haha
And maybe no breathing either. Sounds like it will sterilize the weeds, the patio, the dog, and maybe any other living thing that gets in the way.

This morning, I just pulled some poison ivy in the back yard (with rubber gloves), and I wish that I'd used your concoction instead. At least I'd enjoy a weed-free yard, until the health effects arrive.
Roundup….

Reactions: grapplefann

Try it, you'll like it.

I attribute having no symptoms from Covid to: Eating food off the floor, drinking out of hoses, siphoning gas, painting in the day with oil base paint/cleaning skin with paint thinner, and generally having no worry of any germs. This concoction may too have contributed to a lack of Covid symptoms.

I can't take credit for it's creation though. Blow the weeds, then pull a couple days later. Even better, use a weed wacker to open up their veins, then blow em. They pull real easy after that.

Reactions: PD4thespawn
Try it, you'll like it.

I attribute having no symptoms from Covid to: Eating food off the floor, drinking out of hoses, siphoning gas, painting in the day with oil base paint/cleaning skin with paint thinner, and generally having no worry of any germs. This concoction may too have contributed to a lack of Covid symptoms.

I can't take credit for it's creation though. Blow the weeds, then pull a couple days later. Even better, use a weed wacker to open up their veins, then blow em. They pull real easy after that.
Just goes to show that there’s some things money can’t buy…

I’d like to know the secret of keeping poison ivy under control without going nuclear.

I’d like to know the secret of keeping poison ivy under control without going nuclear.
Pull by hand with long rubber gloves. You can try using the gloves that vets use to fertilize cows.
It works, but you'll still get the rash & itch somewhere.
Hint: Don't scratch your privates before you shower. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT