ADVERTISEMENT

other results 2-27

Vallholl

HR Legend
Feb 2, 2013
MANHEIM, Pa. -- Lehigh crowned four individual champions, but it was a total team effort that carried the Mountain Hawks to their fourth consecutive EIWA team title Friday at Spooky Nook Sports Complex. All 10 Lehigh entrants placed in the top five of their respective weight classes and all 10 qualified for the NCAA Championships as the Mountain Hawks scored 158.5 points to pull away from Navy and Army West Point.

The four individual champions for Lehigh were junior Jaret Lane (125), freshman Malyke Hines (133), senior Jake Jakobsen (197) and senior Jordan Wood (285). Wood becomes just the fifth four-time EIWA Champion in Lehigh history and the first EIWA heavyweight to win four titles.

Lehigh's four champs outscored their opponents 18-2 in those four finals bouts. The Mountain Hawks had five total finalists with nine of their 10 entrants placing in the top four. As a team, Lehigh went 27-8 on the day with 13 bonus point wins. Nine of Lehigh's 10 entrants had at least one bonus win.

"We had a really good training cycle, we just didn't know if it was going to pay off," said Lehigh head coach Pat Santoro, who was named EIWA Coach of the Year for the second straight year and sixth time overall. "There's that mental part. We knew they were ready but they hadn't shown it.

"Having 10 guys place is a great thing," Santoro continued. "Having nine in the top four is a great thing. Having four champions is great. It was the whole team and it was consistent. Having 10 guys wrestle at the same level is really hard to do in a tournament. Everybody's happy with the way they wrestled."

Navy finished second with 129 points, while Army West Point was third with 119.5.

Lane won his first career title and punched his first ticket to NCAAs by outscoring his three opponents 24-1 to improve to 8-0 on the season. After opening with a 13-1 major decision over Army's Ryan Chauvin, Lane blanked Binghamton's Micah Roes 6-0. In the finals, he beat Navy's Logan Treaster 5-0 behind a second period reversal, third period takedown and 2:17 of riding time.

Hines followed suit with a 4-2 decision over Navy's Jacob Allen in the finals, giving Lehigh head-to-head wins over the Mids in the first two weights. Hines scored a first period takedown off a double leg shot and added a pair of third period escapes. Earlier Friday he cradled Sacred Heart's Kyle Randall for a fall in a mere 31 seconds then posted an 8-0 major decision over Navy's Jacob Allen.

In addition to his first title, Jakobsen won the Sheridan Award for most falls in the championship bracket, pinning his first two opponents in 9:34. In the finals, he defeated Army's JT Brown for the second time this season, this season by a 3-0 final. After a scoreless first period Jakobsen scored a takedown in the second and added a third period escape.

Wood's fourth title began with a second period pin of Sacred Heart's Dante DelBonis before blanking Zachary Knighton-Ward of Hofstra 2-0 in the semifinals. Wood met Bobby Heald of Army in the finals and posted a 6-0 decision, scoring takedowns in the second and third periods plus a second period escape and riding time. He is the first four-time EIWA Champion for Lehigh since Darryl Burley accomplished the feat in 1983. Wood captured the Fletcher Trophy for most career team points scored at the EIWA Tournament.

"Jordan was wrestling freestyle all summer but you could see him getting more comfortable each week," Santoro said. "He was grinding. Working hard on top. That's where he has always been strong but you could see it coming back. The last two weeks he was getting better and better. He's a smart wrestler and wrestles with intensity. Now he just has to tighten some things up for the NCAA Tournament."

Junior Jimmy Hoffman was Lehigh's fifth finalist. He won each of his first two bouts by 16-0 technical fall but came up on the short end of an 8-3 decision against Army's PJ Ogunsanya. Hoffman qualified for NCAAs for the second straight year.

The Mountain Hawks had two third-place finishers in freshman Connor McGonagle (141) and sophomore Brian Meyer (165). McGonagle rebounded from a 2-1 semifinal loss to eventual champion Cody Trybus of Navy, beating LIU's Drew Witham 11-2 to qualify for NCAAs and then beating Julian Flores of Drexel for the second time Friday in the third place match. Meyer scored a late takedown and two point near fall to knock off third-seeded Ricky Stamm of Hofstra 5-1 in the quarterfinals. After a semifinal loss to Tanner Skidgel of Navy, Meyer came back to win his next two bouts, including a major decision in the consolation semifinals to clinch the NCAA tournament berth.

Freshmen Luca Frinzi (157) and Jake Logan (174) both qualified with fourth place finishes. Frinzi's top moment came in the consolation semifinals against Bucknell's Jaden Fisher. Trailing 3-2 with under 10 seconds remaining, Frinzi cradled Fisher and took him to his back for the fall at 6:58, securing a NCAA berth in the process. Logan rebounded from a heartbreaking tiebreaker loss in the semifinals to punch his ticket with a 4-0 decision over Vincent Andreano of Bucknell. He medically forfeited to fourth place.

Wrestling his first bouts of the season, senior Dylan Ammerman secured qualification with a fifth place finish at 184. He went 3-2 on the day, staying alive with a fall in the pigtail consolations and then securing his place at NCAAs with a 9-7 win over Drexel's Josh Stillings.

"The three weeks of training leading up to this tournament made a huge difference," Santoro said. "Before this we hadn't had more than two weeks. The guys won all the tight matches today. They were winning third periods. That's typically what we've done but we hadn't done it all year. They really wrestled well. I'm really proud of them."

Lehigh's NCAA tournament qualifiers will move on to the NCAA Championships, March 18-20 at Enterprise Center in St. Louis. The NCAA will announce the at-large qualifiers and complete field of 330 on Tuesday, March 9 and will then unveil the seeds and brackets the following day at 6 p.m. The Mountain Hawks will be sending a full team to NCAAs for the first time since 2018.

Team Scores
1. Lehigh 158.5
2. Navy 129
3. Army West Point 119.5
4. Hofstra 106.5
5. Drexel 89.5
6. Bucknell 84.5
7. Binghamton 75.5
8. Sacred Heart 39
9. American 30.5
10. LIU 24.5

Reactions: SDHN2013
TRENTON, N.J. -- Mizzou Wrestling leads the MAC Wrestling Championships after the first day with 161.5 points. The Tigers lead second-place Central Michigan by 65.5 points. Eight Tigers have qualified for the finals in their respective weight classes, with two other Tigers competing in third place matches. Seven Tigers have already secured their spots at the NCAA Championships, while the other three can all secure their spots with wins tomorrow.

Below are the Tigers in the finals:
Sophomore Noah Surtin - 125 Pounds
Redshirt junior Matt Schmitt - 133 Pounds
Junior Brock Mauller - 149 Pounds
Junior Jarrett Jacques - 157 Pounds
Freshman Keegan O'Toole - 165 Pounds
Redshirt sophomore Peyton Mocco - 174 Pounds
Redshirt sophomore Jeremiah Kent - 184 Pounds
Freshman Rocky Elam - 197 Pounds

Below are the Tigers in third-place matches:
Junior Allan Hart - 141 Pounds
Redshirt sophomore Zach Elam - 285 Pounds

TEAM STANDINGS
1. Mizzou - 161.5
2. Central Michigan - 96.5
3. Rider - 96.0
4. Cleveland State - 56.5
5. Northern Illinois - 54.0
6. Edinboro - 49.0
7. Kent State - 43.0
8. Clarion - 37.0
9. SIU-Edwardsville - 31.0
10. George Mason - 30.5
11. Ohio - 26.5
12. Buffalo - 25.5
13. Bloomsburg - 22.0
14. Lock Haven - 9.5

Reactions: SDHN2013
Is the MAC the only other D1 conference going this weekend?

I think every other conference is this weekend except for Big 10 and Big 12.

MAC finishes today.

ACC, PAC 12 (finals on P12 Network), and Socon tomorrow. Socon is on ESPN+, earlier rounds of ACC is on ACC Network Extra, and earlier rounds of PAC 12 appear to be free via Oregon State’s stream - https://pac-12.com/live/oregon-state-university-2

This is a stretch, but I have a contribution... Big 12 tourney is next weekend. Just read where ISU is having three separate wrestleoffs to determine their entrants for the conference tourney.

Can you imagine a week before the post season and still having three undecided weights? I bet KJ is still laughing. I know I am.:D:D:D

This is a stretch, but I have a contribution... Big 12 tourney is next weekend. Just read where ISU is having three separate wrestleoffs to determine their entrants for the conference tourney.

Can you imagine a week before the post season and still having three undecided weights? I bet KJ is still laughing. I know I am.:D:D:D
To be fair at the end, KJ would have been thrilled to have depth at 3 weights.

To be fair at the end, KJ would have been thrilled to have depth at 3 weights.
Outside of Carr and Degen... the Clones best guys are KJ recruits. And Virginia Tech hasn't skipped a beat since Dresser left. I'm telling you guys... Robie was the glue that has always held VT together.

People are giving KD way too much credit.

Last edited:
TRENTON, N.J. -- The No. 5 Missouri Tigers won their ninth consecutive Mid-American Conference wrestling championship with a MAC record 188.5 total team points today at the Cure Insurance Arena in Trenton, N.J. A total of eight Missouri wrestlers competed in the final, with four of them coming away as Champions.

More coming soon...

Final Team Results
1. Missouri -- 188.5 (MAC RECORD)
2. Central Michigan -- 129
3. Rider -- 120.5
4. Northern Illinois -- 90
5. Edinboro -- 80
6. Cleveland State -- 68
7. Clarion -- 57.5
8. Kent State -- 54
9. Buffalo -- 44
10. SIU Edwardsville -- 43.5
11. George Mason -- 35
12. Ohio -- 34
12. Bloomsburg -- 28.5
13. Lock Haven -- 15

Championship Matches:
125: No. 1 seed Drew Hildebrandt (Central Michigan) def. No. 4 Noah Surtin (Missouri), 6-1
133: No. 1 seed Matthew Schmitt (Missouri) def. Unseeded Richie Koehler (Rider), 9-6
141: No. 2 seed Dresden Simon (Central Michigan) def. No. 5 seed McKenzie Bell (Rider), 12-5
149: No. 1 Brock Mauller (Missouri) def. No. 6 Marcus Robinson (Cleveland State), 6-0
157: No. 1 Jesse Dellavecchia (Rider) def. No. 2 Jarrett Jacques (Missouri), 3-2
165: No. 1 Keegan O'Toole (Missouri) def. No. 2 Izzak Olejnik (Northern Illinois), 6-2
174: No. 1 Andrew McNally (Kent State) def. No. 2 Peyton Mocco (Missouri), 8-7
184: No. 1 Brit Wilson (Northern Illinois) def. No. 2 Jeremiah Kent (Missouri), Fall (4:33)
197: No. 2 Rocky Elam (Missouri) def. No. 4 Ben Smith (Cleveland State), 10-4
285: No. 1 Matt Stencel (Central Michigan) def. No. 2 Ethan Laird (Rider), 8-2

TRENTON, N.J. -- The No. 5 Missouri Tigers won their ninth consecutive Mid-American Conference wrestling championship with a MAC record 188.5 total team points today at the Cure Insurance Arena in Trenton, N.J. A total of eight Missouri wrestlers competed in the final, with four of them coming away as Champions.

More coming soon...

Final Team Results
1. Missouri -- 188.5 (MAC RECORD)
2. Central Michigan -- 129
3. Rider -- 120.5
4. Northern Illinois -- 90
5. Edinboro -- 80
6. Cleveland State -- 68
7. Clarion -- 57.5
8. Kent State -- 54
9. Buffalo -- 44
10. SIU Edwardsville -- 43.5
11. George Mason -- 35
12. Ohio -- 34
12. Bloomsburg -- 28.5
13. Lock Haven -- 15

Championship Matches:
125: No. 1 seed Drew Hildebrandt (Central Michigan) def. No. 4 Noah Surtin (Missouri), 6-1
133: No. 1 seed Matthew Schmitt (Missouri) def. Unseeded Richie Koehler (Rider), 9-6
141: No. 2 seed Dresden Simon (Central Michigan) def. No. 5 seed McKenzie Bell (Rider), 12-5
149: No. 1 Brock Mauller (Missouri) def. No. 6 Marcus Robinson (Cleveland State), 6-0
157: No. 1 Jesse Dellavecchia (Rider) def. No. 2 Jarrett Jacques (Missouri), 3-2
165: No. 1 Keegan O'Toole (Missouri) def. No. 2 Izzak Olejnik (Northern Illinois), 6-2
174: No. 1 Andrew McNally (Kent State) def. No. 2 Peyton Mocco (Missouri), 8-7
184: No. 1 Brit Wilson (Northern Illinois) def. No. 2 Jeremiah Kent (Missouri), Fall (4:33)
197: No. 2 Rocky Elam (Missouri) def. No. 4 Ben Smith (Cleveland State), 10-4
285: No. 1 Matt Stencel (Central Michigan) def. No. 2 Ethan Laird (Rider), 8-2

I'm not smart on how Mizzou ended up wrestling in the MAC, but I feel sorry for those poor Mid Major teams having to wrestle against a Power 5 school...and not just a Power 5, but a big time wrestling power house as well. I"m not anti-Mizzou but would love to see them join one of the Power 5 conferences for wrestling so the championship is not a forgone conclusion. This is like Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, etc., being the only Power 5 basketball team in this conference for NCAA BB. I'm sure it's not possible due to some NCAA rule, but in my humble opinion Power 5 schools should have to compete in a Power 5 conference for NCAA sports...otherwise, it just doesn't seem fair. Can you imagine Iowa, Penn State, Ohio State or Okie State wrestling in this conference? There'd be some MAC records set that could never be touched...

Changing gears, big time thanks, Vallholl, for posting individual outcomes and team scores. Some of you gents on this site really go above and beyond to keep the rest of us informed. Can't wait till next weekend when the action really starts to pick up! :)

I'm not smart on how Mizzou ended up wrestling in the MAC, but I feel sorry for those poor Mid Major teams having to wrestle against a Power 5 school...and not just a Power 5, but a big time wrestling power house as well. I"m not anti-Mizzou but would love to see them join one of the Power 5 conferences for wrestling so the championship is not a forgone conclusion. This is like Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, etc., being the only Power 5 basketball team in this conference for NCAA BB. I'm sure it's not possible due to some NCAA rule, but in my humble opinion Power 5 schools should have to compete in a Power 5 conference for NCAA sports...otherwise, it just doesn't seem fair. Can you imagine Iowa, Penn State, Ohio State or Okie State wrestling in this conference? There'd be some MAC records set that could never be touched...

Changing gears, big time thanks, Vallholl, for posting individual outcomes and team scores. Some of you gents on this site really go above and beyond to keep the rest of us informed. Can't wait till next weekend when the action really starts to pick up! :)
Hearing that Mizzu could be heading back to the Big 12 for wrestling. Also today Acc 10 am CT is on ACCN extra which is available thru ESPN+ app. Also Pac 12 has free coverage if you go to Oregon St website 1:30 pm CT SoCon is on ESPN + 9 am CT

Hearing that Mizzu could be heading back to the Big 12 for wrestling. Also today Acc 10 am CT is on ACCN extra which is available thru ESPN+ app. Also Pac 12 has free coverage if you go to Oregon St website 1:30 pm CT SoCon is on ESPN + 9 am CT

Fanco Wrestling Channel on YouTube has an episode that does a complete rundown of how to watch each conference championship. Josiah does a great job on that channel.

Why did Mizzou leave in the first place? Was it an ultimatum deal where the Big XII basically said, “if football leaves, no sport can stay”? It just makes too much sense for both parties to have them in the Big XII.

“Championship Matches:
125: No. 1 seed Drew Hildebrandt (Central Michigan) def. No. 4 Noah Surtin (Missouri), 6-1”

Hoping that is a typo because I’ve done the math and the #1 and #4 seeds can’t meet in the finals. 🤨

Reactions: cwick1
“Championship Matches:
125: No. 1 seed Drew Hildebrandt (Central Michigan) def. No. 4 Noah Surtin (Missouri), 6-1”

Hoping that is a typo because I’ve done the math and the #1 and #4 seeds can’t meet in the finals. 🤨

Number two seed from Missouri was injured during the week and couldn't wrestle, so everyone got bumped up in the bracket.

Why did Mizzou leave in the first place? Was it an ultimatum deal where the Big XII basically said, “if football leaves, no sport can stay”? It just makes too much sense for both parties to have them in the Big XII.

It’s weird. Conferences generally aren’t accommodating when a school jumps ship.

Colbray can.

Seems like a reach.

Sounds like Mekhi Lewis will be pulling the 1 sec injury default followed by Med forfeit to 6th place today at the ACC tourney.
6 seed at NCAAs?

Edit to add: assuming Marinelli, Griffith, Wittlake all undefeated. Wentzel has to be ahead of him, then you have O’Toole and Anthony Valencia that have an argument

Reactions: woodsiding
It’s weird. Conferences generally aren’t accommodating when a school jumps ship.

Seems like a reach.
He was R12 2 years ago. He has wins over Steiert, Drew Foster, Dakota Geer (currently 8th). His loss is to #5 and he lead almost the whole match.
He might not place, but hes most likely going to be within striking distance.

6 seed at NCAAs?

Edit to add: assuming Marinelli, Griffith, Wittlake all undefeated. Wentzel has to be ahead of him, then you have O’Toole and Anthony Valencia that have an argument
Yep. I think how far he falls will depend on the final coaches poll. I would think 7th in the poll at best but it really depends on where the coaches heads are at at.

He was R12 2 years ago. He has wins over Steiert, Drew Foster, Dakota Geer (currently 8th). His loss is to #5 and he lead almost the whole match.
He might not place, but hes most likely going to be within striking distance.

What he did a year ago plus and not even at this weight isn’t particularly relevant. He’s been injured without a lot of mat time. And he’s always been the guy on the cusp but doesn’t come through. Can he? Sure. And he’s certainly the most likely if the 6ish were talking about to find the podium.

What he did a year ago plus and not even at this weight isn’t particularly relevant. He’s been injured without a lot of mat time. And he’s always been the guy on the cusp but doesn’t come through. Can he? Sure. And he’s certainly the most likely if the 6ish were talking about to find the podium.
You said that none of them will “sniff” the podium. If he’s on the “cusp” again isn’t that sniffing? Even with limited time back from injury he just had the #5 guy all but beat. A couple more weeks and it seems very likely he’ll be close enough to smell it.

I'm assuming that Mizzu is in the MAC to add to the trophy case? Seriously, I also imagine there probably wasn't an invite to rejoin the B12 just for wrestling. Hurt feelings and all.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
10:28 AM, FEBRUARY 28, 2021
Live updates: ACC Tournament Semifinals
The semifinals are set! Watch the next round of wrestling action on ACCX or follow along here for live updates.
125 Pounds: Sam Latona and Jakob Camacho set for rematch in the 125-pound ACC finals after semis wins
  • No. 2 Jakob Camacho majors No. 6 Logan Agin: The 125-pound Wolfpack sophomore found his rhythm in the second period to put the first points on the board and then ramped up his offense in the third for a 10-1 bonus-point win in his second ACC tournament. Camacho will see either No. 1 Sam Latona or No. 4 Patrick McCormick in the finals.
  • Latona takes down McCormick with ease: No. 1 Sam Latona earned his spot opposite Camacho with a 12-7 decision against Patrick McCormick of Virginia. Latona put up six points in the first period and kept his foot on the gas for the entire duration of the match. He'll have a chance now to take on the defending ACC champ in a dual that could have team race implications.
133 pounds: Micky Phillippi and Korbin Myers to meet in ACC finals at 133 pounds
  • Micky Phillippi wins to advance to the finals: The Pittsburgh junior took down Virginia's Louie Hayes in a dominant 10-4 decision to book a ticket to another ACC championship. Phillippi has never lost in an ACC final, and he's the man to beat at the weight.
  • Korbin Myers wants a chance at the title: With a workmanlike 10-3 decision, Virginia Tech senior Korbin Myers punched his ticket to the finals as well. His win over Joe Heilmann puts him 7-0 on the year, and he'll aim to keep that undefeated record alive in this conference championship bout.

141 pounds: In-state rivals Tariq Wilson and Zach Sherman set to compete in 141-pound finals
  • Wilson secures his third consecutive ACC finals match: Tariq Wilson Wilson jumped out to an early 2-0 lead and picked up two more with a reversal but adding even more points in third period on his way to a 7-2 win over Cole Matthews. He'll now have a chance at his first ACC title against last year's champ.
  • Sherman's power and persistence puts him back in the finals: Zach Sherman wrestled conservative in the first and second period but turned it on in the third to extend his lead from 3-2 to 7-2. The defending ACC champion is back in the finals with his solid decision over No. 3 Brian Courtney.
149 pounds
1. No. 1 Austin O'Connor vs. No. 4 Josh Finesilver
2. No. 2 Bryce Andonian vs. No. 3 Ed Scott

157 pounds
1. No. 1 Hayden Hidlay vs. No. 4 Josh McClure
2. No. 2 Justin McCoy vs. No. 3 Connor Brady
165 pounds
1. No. 1 Jake Wentzel vs. No. 4 Kennedy Monday
2. No. 2 Mekhi Lewis vs. No. 3 Jake Keating
174 pounds
1. No. 1 Daniel Bullard vs. No. 4 Dakota Howard
2. No. Clay Lautt vs. No. 3 Victor Marcelli
184 pounds
1. No. 1 Hunter Bolen vs. No. 5 Gregg Harvey
2. No. 2 Trent Hidlay vs. No. 3 Devin Kane
197 pounds
1. No. 1 Nino Bonaccorsi vs. No. 4 Nick Reenan
2. No. 2 Jay Aiello vs. No. 3 Max Shaw
285 pounds
1. No. 1 Deonte Wilson vs. No. 4 Andrew Gunning
2. No. 2 Quinn Miller vs. No. 3 Hunter Catka

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
I'm assuming that Mizzu is in the MAC to add to the trophy case? Seriously, I also imagine there probably wasn't an invite to rejoin the B12 just for wrestling. Hurt feelings and all.
Can’t remember where I read it so this may be completely inaccurate but I did read that Mizzou wrestling wants back into the B12. Word was the other schools want them in as well but the conf will not allow it. I saw somewhere else that they will not be in the MAC next season. Probably all just message board chatter but I just can’t see them in the MAC much longer.

Can’t remember where I read it so this may be completely inaccurate but I did read that Mizzou wrestling wants back into the B12. Word was the other schools want them in as well but the conf will not allow it. I saw somewhere else that they will not be in the MAC next season. Probably all just message board chatter but I just can’t see them in the MAC much longer.
It wouldn't surprise me if the wrestling coaches all want Mizzu to rejoin but I'd expet the presidents / AD of the Big12 to have more an attitude that "if Mizzu doesn't think that the B12 isn't good enough for football / basketball, then we're not going to let Mizzu join for wrestling".

A few years ago when Xavier / Dbq Wahlert went to 3A for football, at least on Metro AD was quoted as saying "we play 4A football" as an answer to the question if the CR schools would play Xavier outside of district play. As far as I can tall, the only metro school to play Xavier in football since 2013, is Linn-Mar. So there might be something to that.

Vallholl is a treasure, there ain't no doubt about it. I suspect it has to do with that Outstanding Education he received at Luther (am I doing this right Vall?).

Now if we could just get his Wife to see it.......sky's the limit! ;)

Vallholl is a treasure, there ain't no doubt about it. I suspect it has to do with that Outstanding Education he received at Luther (am I doing this right Vall?).

Now if we could just get his Wife to see it.......sky's the limit! ;)
Mentioning Luther, doing a great job, 23. I suppose that I undersell my degrees from U of Iowa. Perhaps I'm looking for that wrestling street cred coat tails thing from Luther and it's association with @WWDMHawkeye
Regarding Mrs. Vallholl, now that we're down to one child at home, she's noticing a lot more of my behaviors that used to fly under the radar and I can only blame so much on the dogs. As stated before, this January she noticed that I watch basketball much differently than wrestling. She can't believe that I type everything during wrestling and I can't believe that she is just figuring that out.
Anyway, I'm going to have to bribe one of my daughters to get Mrs. V. out of the house next Saturday. I did randomly and slightly preemptively buy flowers yesterday that might deflect a little next weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT