ADVERTISEMENT

Other results: Nov. 16-18

Tariq and Fix will be an interesting matchup if it’s the Tariq from last yeast years NCAAs. I still think Gross’ top game is far superior to Lizak’s, as is his gas tank. This could be problematic for Fix—not to mention Micic and Suriano. 133 is such an interesting weight. It could be any of these top guys. It’s going to be a fun year.

^^^This. @ 133, Lizak is a 6-8 guy. He won't roll guys at the weight without the size advantage he had at 125. And his neutral skills are very average.

Gophs are a pretty generic team with only one bonus guy. Thorn, by the way, looks like the Thorn we've now come to expect.:p GS isn't saving that program.

I concur. And while one could look at the GS/White match and think it was total domination...not even close. GS scored 6 points on that one move in the 1st period and didn't do jack sh+t the rest of the match. Check that...he did do a little Mohammad Ali shuffle in the 3rd that I thought was really idiotic. As you said, just don't see him saving the program, though I would be surprised if he's not at the very least battling for 3rd at NCAAs. Stoll can beat him if he really brings it and doesn't have any medical issues leading up the B10s and NCAAs.

Reactions: MitchL
I think that version of Nevills would have a hard time not getting stalled out by Stoll. He looked like a shell of himself . . .

Because Stoll would take more shots than Cassar did? Right.

The key takeaway in this result is that Cassar held his own and then some against a heavy with both size and talent.

Cassar is a skilled shooter. That spells trouble for Stoll.

Eggum's problem was that he was unable to follow up the GS recruiting class with anyone of note this season. There were no high profile kids, so his only option is to hunt for transfers next spring/summer. That ain't cutting it.

Gophs are a 15-18ish team at Nationals. What a far cry from their glory days. They should have went hard after Bono or Hahn, rather than taking the easy route and naming Eggs, imo.

The key takeaway in this result is that Cassar held his own and then some against a heavy with both size and talent.

We still don’t have a great idea on what this means. Might mean Casser is a world beater, Nevills is still hurt, or both. On top of that, we haven’t seen Stoll in a match for almost 6 months. It’s really too early to draw any conclusions. As always, time will tell.

We still don’t have a great idea on what this means. Might mean Casser is a world beater, Nevills is still hurt, or both. On top of that, we haven’t seen Stoll in a match for almost 6 months. It’s really too early to draw any conclusions. As always, time will tell.

I agree there is still uncertainty about just how good Cassar will be at HWT. But he's at least shown that he won't be squashed . . . and with a tech and a pin against other (albeit outclassed) competition today, Nevills is not the dogmeat Don was making him out to be.

I believe Cassar will be active enough to present problems for Stoll, but it will be a LONG wait to find out. We'll just have to collect potentially indicative data along the way.

Cassar's next data point will be Jordan Wood in a couple of weeks.

Reactions: 1stplacehawk
I concur. And while one could look at the GS/White match and think it was total domination...not even close. GS scored 6 points on that one move in the 1st period and didn't do jack sh+t the rest of the match. Check that...he did do a little Mohammad Ali shuffle in the 3rd that I thought was really idiotic. As you said, just don't see him saving the program, though I would be surprised if he's not at the very least battling for 3rd at NCAAs. Stoll can beat him if he really brings it and doesn't have any medical issues leading up the B10s and NCAAs.

If White does a proper belly out, who knows. After the initial score, it looked like two bears dancing....I thought Gable would shoot more. Gable is going to be tough to beat because not many are going to want to shoot because of his athleticism but he is beatable.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Steveson has a great snap down. Got White off balance several times and led to his takedown. It will be interesting to see him go up against the bigger HWTs and see how his offense translates.

Gonna be interesting to watch him develop regardless.

It's like you started watching wrestling this year.

Reactions: tigerguy_
As for the rest of the Gophers, I thought the following:

125-Looks the same as last year in Edinboro
133-In midseason gassing form...almost got backs. Both Lee and NATO teched him last year. It's clear that this guy gets up for the postseason though so I wouldn't count him out of top 4
141-A big bright spot for Minne...thought McKee wrestled well. Would have given that match up last year.
149-Meh
157-This will be Bleise's last match for awhile. Was able to beat the transfer from Okie State with one paw essentially...good for him and way to gut it out.

Not really going to go over the rest.

As of right now, this is how I think Iowa rolls with Minne:

125-TF
133-DeSanto wins it if he can stay off his back. Will give up RT and a stall call or two on bottom if he can't get out but I think TnT will effectively gameplan for him. Dec (although this can go real bad for us)
141-Match of the night Part 1...I like Murin to beat him in the third. Dec
149-Major
157-Major
165-TF or Pin
174-Maj (If Kemerer goes)
184-Dec
197-Maj
HWY-Going to go with Gable at home by Dec

At worse, I think Minne has a possible 4 wins here.

Reactions: Sandor45
If White does a proper belly out, who knows. After the initial score, it looked like two bears dancing....I thought Gable would shoot more. Gable is going to be tough to beat because not many are going to want to shoot because of his athleticism but he is beatable.
White was never even close to scoring. I think gable could have scored more if he needed to...

White was never even close to scoring. I think gable could have scored more if he needed to...

Agreed. But Gable really didn't either after the initial feet to back. The great ones never stop dominating and it would have been a hell of a statement to get bonus after giving yourself a six point head start. Instead, it was a typical HWY match after the initial points. 1 escape, 1 RT point. Even the goopher announcer said that if he were Gable, he would try to pour it on because White might come out of there feeling pretty good about not giving up anymore offensive points.

It's like you started watching wrestling this year.

I saw you retracted your original rebuttal of Cassar giving up 50 lbs to Stoll and not being able to stay on the mat with him.

And so your second offering is that I must have started watching wrestling this year? Really?

I don't want to be that guy who reminds folks of Stoll's selective absences from certain types of matchups, but it's like you didn't watch wrestling last year.

I saw you retracted your original rebuttal of Cassar giving up 50 lbs to Stoll and not being able to stay on the mat with him.

And so your second offering is that I must have started watching wrestling this year? Really?

I don't want to be that guy who reminds folks of Stoll's selective absences from certain types of matchups, but it's like you didn't watch wrestling last year.
you are the one that doesn’t understand Stoll does not have to shoot to stall someone out. And Stolls weight will be a big problem for Cassar.
You use his win over Nevills as a huge yardstick but it is obvious he is not close to his old self. We have learned that Nevills as-is is for sure a top 20 hwt and Cassar is better than him.

Last edited:

What's funny about this is Lee teched Lizak super easy like...meh, we need to see more. But our guy Willie has seen all he needs to see after two matches and is ready to take bets.
This just proves a point I've made on this board several times in the past. Willie and FLO has had a love affair with Fix and treat him differently than any other wrestler. Lee beat Lizak 15-0 in two periods and there wasn't even a competitive moment in the match. Willie had better watch that match again through an objective lens. Lizak was in deep on FIX and they had a great scramble and he also almost turned him. Lizak was gassed by the 3rd period. Yes, he ran out of gas, but he ran out of gas last year as well during the regular season. NATO also crushed Lizak during the season and then he needed OT at the NCAA's. I'm not saying Fix can't beat any of these guys, he can, and he's a great competitor, but he can also lose to several of them as well. He is average at best on top, but he is tough as hell on his feet. I think Suriano and a healthy Gross should be favored as a starting point at 133. If FIX does lose, Willie might have to go into grief therapy:)

Last edited:
Gable wins 7-2. Then slaps his chest and yells this is my house after their team gets demolished.
I think we can safely say that Spencer Lee and Gable Steveson arrived on college campus with similar accolades and praise.

So here's my question... for those that had the opportunity to see Lee wrestle at Carver last season, did Spencer Lee ever exhibit douchey behavior after any of his impressive wins similar to Steveson's display tonite?

I'll hang up and listen!

Reactions: oldhawk56
Yup...I believe they hated Ramos, Gilman etc...especially Gilman. Holy hell did they not like Gilman.
Right?! And Steveson thumps his chest and screams “This is MY house” as HIS team got manhandled in that same house! That being said, his brother never got to mutter those words.

Last edited:
you are the one that doesn’t understand Stoll does not have to shoot to stall someone out. And Stolls weight will be a big problem for Cassar.
You use his win over Nevills as a huge yardstick but it is obvious he is not close to his old self. We have learned that Nevills as-is is for sure a top 20 hwt and Cassar is better than him.

Nevill's 'as is' today is top 8 at minimum (only because it is still early after an injury) probably top 4. He is 10 lbs lighter than last year and claims he is in great shape. Using your logic Stoll is only a top 20 today after a bullet to the knee .... not!!!!

BTW Cassar took out #2 Nevills and #14 this weekend. He will be a force to be reckoned with.

He is a former Junior national freestyle champion, and the best neutral game anyone has seen in a heavy since Snyder. Occasionally the depth of that squad hides elite talent, but for Cassar no more. Speaking of 'More' he took him out last year when Moore was the #1 197 pounder.

I totally agree, big strong, elite heavies like Stoll and Gable are stories yet to be written by Cassar this year. Time will tell, but I wouldn't bet against him.

Heavy is not that great from 10 down to 20, not sure why that's even in the conversation.

Last edited:
I think we can safely say that Spencer Lee and Gable Steveson arrived on college campus with similar accolades and praise.

So here's my question... for those that had the opportunity to see Lee wrestle at Carver last season, did Spencer Lee ever exhibit douchey behavior after any of his impressive wins similar to Steveson's display tonite?

I'll hang up and listen!

Spencer Lee is a classy competitor.

I'll hang up and listen!
Spencer Lee is a classy competitor.

Spencer is one of a kind in many ways. Enjoy these years they are special. Others can't handle the accollades or the responsibility that that much talent dictates. Spencer is as good off the matt as on it. Gable looks like a man but it's still a kid a bit drunk on his own press. Hopefully he gets it, otherwise with each antic he'll only highlight Spencer's greatness by contrast.

I thought Okie St looked pretty good for this early in the year. Usually they are gassing like crazy this early. I think they got their weight classes correct. 157 is not on level with the other weights but not bad. Still without their 197. Evidently Joe Smith or Geer at 184. The Smith at 174 looking good early. Fix looks like a stronger more athletic version of Zane Richards. He looks to be in the mix to win 133 but will have to beat some tough guys to do it. Sucking down to 125 would not be fun for him all season, Lee or no Lee.

The top teams are so good these days you really need a lineup full of talented go getters to be in contention.

I agree that Fix is ONE of the contenders, but his offense on his feet is limited. He has a world class slide by, a fantastic inside trip if he can bait you into an undertook, but he didn't get a good shot off on Lizak that does not defend his legs very well--look at Lee's or NATO's match last year. As I stated earlier, whatever Fix does that is positive is amplified and whatever is not as positive is buried by FLO. Again, as I've stated, when Fix lost to Petry, it was never mentioned. Then he got dominated by Karam-- not mentioned. These were not quality losses, which is why they got buried. While Fix is very good, FLO has always tried to make him even better than he obviously already is--which is pretty damn good. Willie's post is another example of that. How can you say that after one win against a guy that got tech falled last year against Lee and NATO and beat by Drew Mattin during the regular season and Fix wins a 6-1 match and now he's the one.... I don't see that yet. I get it, it's just an opinion, but it's an example of the bias that has been obvious for years now. Fix is a great competitor and I would say he's in the mix and can beat anybody at that weight, but again, I think there are several that could beat him as well. It's going to be fun to watch, but Fix is not as dominant as Willie or FLO wants to make him out to be. He could win it, but he could also finish in 4th and neither would surprise me. Lizak has proven to be very vulnerable during the regular season. Lee and NATO proved that last year in a much more dominating fashion that Fix did last night.

Northern Iowa, IA 27 West Virginia, WV 19

125 Jacob Schwarm (Northern Iowa) over KJ Fenstermacher (West Virginia) (Fall 2:48)
133 Caleb Rea (West Virginia) over Jacob Schipper (Northern Iowa) (Fall 6:43)
141 Josh Alber (Northern Iowa) over Lukas Martin (West Virginia) (Dec 6-3)
149 Christian Monserrat (West Virginia) over derek Holschlag (Northern Iowa) (MD 10-2)
157 Zach Moore (West Virginia) over Pat Schoenfelder (Northern Iowa) (Fall 2:23)
165 Bryce Steiert (Northern Iowa) over Nick Kiussis (West Virginia) (Dec 9-6)
174 Taylor Lujan (Northern Iowa) over Josh Ramirez (West Virginia) (Fall 2:51)
184 Drew Foster (Northern Iowa) over Jackson Moomau (West Virginia) (TF 19-0 2:57)
197 Noah Adams (West Virginia) over Izaak Shedenhelm (Northern Iowa) (Dec 12-5)
285 Carter Isley (Northern Iowa) over David Smith (West Virginia) (MD 10-1)

Did not realize Ramirez ended up at West Virginia. Interesting.

I apologize if this has already been mentioned, but does anyone know why Max Thomsen, Logan Ryan, and Holschlag at 97 haven’t been wrestling for UNI?

Did not realize Ramirez ended up at West Virginia. Interesting.

I apologize if this has already been mentioned, but does anyone know why Max Thomsen, Logan Ryan, and Holschlag at 97 haven’t been wrestling for UNI?

I thought I heard Thomsen injured his knee and Ryan no longer wrestling. Not sure on the 197.

Reactions: sunwarrior

I'll hang up and listen!
After the accolades, Spencer and Gable are nothing alike. Gable loves to be hated and I'm sure he will give Iowa fans plenty to hate him over for the next 4 years. I think this is going to be similar to the hate Minnesota fans have had for Gilman as he had more than his fair share of "douchey" behavior.

Last edited:
Right?! And Steveson thumps his chest and screams “This is MY house” as HIS team got manhandled in that same house! That being said, his brother never got to mutter those words.
I think you're onto something.

The more I think about it, the more I'm willing to cut GS a little slack. Look at the situation at Minnesota. His big brother is a HUGE bust and may very well never wrestle a varsity match again. That's got to be a frustrating family situation. Secondly... GS is on a team that will likely NEVER contend for a trophy. His HC will be under a lot of pressure in 2-3 years. Eggum was unable to recruit a top 50 kid this season. GS will be the only reason for Gopher fans to pump their chests for the next four years.

We need to be grateful the Hawkeye wrestling program isn't in the same situation as Minnesotas.

After the accolades, Spencer and Gable are nothing alike. Gable loves to be hated and I'm sure he will give Iowa fans plenty to hate him over for the next 4 years. I think this is going to be similar to the hate Minnesota fans have had for Gilman as he had more than his fair share of "douchey" behavior.
I don't think their is going to be a whole lot of hate while Iowa is kicking the dogshit out of your furry rodents. But I digress.

I don't think their is going to be a whole lot of hate while Iowa is kicking the dogshit out of your furry rodents. But I digress.
Yea I actually kinda miss the days where this was a competitive rivalry.... same as ISU.... used to be fun.... boring now

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT