ADVERTISEMENT

Ott vs Myers

Auger

HB All-American
Sep 14, 2007
Many watched the battle in the trenches this last weekend as both lines have some question marks. Is Ott just that good this year or is Myers just that bad? Ott abused Myers for much of the practice. Myers got called for a hold and gave up two sacks to Ott as well as what could and should have been a safety. Meier also took it to Ike for much of the practice over on the right side. I would love to think Meier just took that big of a leap forward but I don't think so. Iowa's o-line doesnt just need to improve they need to take some serious leaps and bounds before the season kicks off. I know a lot on here say they never worry about our o-line but poor recruiting and development has seen that unit fall in recent years.

Reactions: hawkhorn
Haven't ya been following along- Iowa doesn't have any good players...and some really bad ones.

Sarcasm aside. Ott was very good last year, and Meier is a different breed and a match up problem. Same size as LeRoy Smith was, similar speed and quickness. Of course LeRoy was a bust after not cutting it at RB, and people were all doom and gloom after we had to put a RB bust at DE after a 5-6 and bowless year. then 1990 and 1991 happened with a small quick DE an integral part. If you're one that is actually going to watch next year, we'll find out.

keep-calm-and-stop-beating-this-dead-horse.png

No one can read much more into the spring game other than that the defense is vastly ahead of the offense at this point. We looked especially good at DL and DB but this was some pretty limited exposure. LB looked better as well and should be better than last year.

I agree that the OL needs some work but beathard wasn't always making the right steps either, he could have just stepped up in the pocket on a couple occasions. Overall I think the team will be better this year but it is just spring ball and they have a lot of work to do over the off season

Another point to think about is that in a spring game, the offense isn't trying to win, they are trying to work on some problem areas, try out new formations, or find out who their players are. They are not looking at the defenses weaknesses like you would scout a team in a regular game. You assume that the objective of the spring game is to get players ready to step it up in the fall.

Ott is very good. He has All-Big Ten potential. Meier is also much better than people give him credit for being. He has the potential to be an NFL free-agent signee. Both have enough potential to be pretty savvy against a relatively inexperienced OL. As better-than-average to good veterans, I would be concerned if they weren't owning Myers or Boettger. This is no indictment on what Myers and Boettger can become.

I guess looking at the glass half full both Myers and Boettger are only Sophs so plenty of room for improvement. If they were 5th yr Srs be little more unsettling but being underclassman plenty of room for improvement and growing pains expected to see along the way. Plus Ott is probably are best defensive player (besides King). So just like Scherff made Ott better player going against each other last 2 years hopefully he can do the same for Myers and Boettger.

Just curious did anyone there notice or see much from the other tackles, good or bad observations.

I guess looking at the glass half full both Myers and Boettger are only Sophs so plenty of room for improvement. If they were 5th yr Srs be little more unsettling but being underclassman plenty of room for improvement and growing pains expected to see along the way. Plus Ott is probably are best defensive player (besides King). So just like Scherff made Ott better player going against each other last 2 years hopefully he can do the same for Myers and Boettger.

Just curious did anyone there notice or see much from the other tackles, good or bad observations.

No tackles looked good the o-line as a whole looked very overmatched.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT