ADVERTISEMENT

OU NIL plan to pay each player up to 50k/yr.

No idea but my guess is our rich boosters and fans aren’t short on money. Also incentives are just that, incentives. How often will these players hit the incentives? Plus let’s not act like we will be getting the cream of the crop anyway. I would say we should be competitive with the 10-25 ranked type programs on NIL and players we would get.
Agree 100%, however, we are not currently anywhere near the top 10-25 NIL programs in the nation, and until we are we'll get crushed by the competition.

I can't wait for the Title IX lawsuits that start coming in from this. Pay men 50k, woman deserve 50k too. In the next couple of years, I will most likely stop watching college sports altogether if this continues.

I have never been much of a pro sports fan, sure the game is played at the highest level but it is missing the raw intensity emotions, and drama of college sports.

I can't wait for the Title IX lawsuits that start coming in from this. Pay men 50k, woman deserve 50k too. In the next couple of years, I will most likely stop watching college sports altogether if this continues.

I have never been much of a pro sports fan, sure the game is played at the highest level but it is missing the raw intensity emotions, and drama of college sports.
Zero Title IX lawsuits will be won.

NIL Collectives are neither part of the university, nor governed by the university! Women sports' fans are free to start their own NIL Collectives.

is this really as big a deal as it seems? i mean it's "up to" 50K. weve all lived through enough ads and junk mail to realize that "up to" 50K in real life usually ends up at an average of 5K.

This is like a guy working at McDonald’s while at Iowa having a lawsuit filed against them by somebody not working at McDonald’s.

Nil specifically gets around Title IX. There will be zero lawsuits. ZERO

Zero Title IX lawsuits will be won.

NIL Collectives are neither part of the university, nor governed by the university! Women sports' fans are free to start their own NIL Collectives.
Besides which Miss Clark on the womens team may get the biggest NIL deal anyway....

Reactions: littlez

Sad to see it come to an end.

This couldn’t be further from the truth. The nfl is the best athletic entertainment out there and frankly, it’s not even close. College football is a way distant second. This nil will make it even more so. College football is now minor league football. I have very little to zero interest in minor league sports. My interest, outside of Iowa, will continue to diminish.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
This couldn’t be further from the truth. The nfl is the best athletic entertainment out there and frankly, it’s not even close. College football is a way distant second. This nil will make it even more so. College football is now minor league football. I have very little to zero interest in minor league sports. My interest, outside of Iowa, will continue to diminish.
You seem to have missed me saying that pro sports are played at the highest level. The NFL has incredibly skilled elite players, the schemes top tier, and the games very entertaining but at the end of the day it's a business designed to make money and the players know this, hence loyalty only to the higher bidder.

College Sports on the other hand were for amateurs who played sports because they wanted to. Over the years it has turned into a big business but at its core, it was about passion for the sport and school with money a distant third. College Sports had its flaws and warts but the games were full of passion and drama with players genuinely going all out for the win.

You are right luvymyhawks, if NIL is left unchecked college sports turn into the minor leagues and who gives an eff about that. I would say in a few years if the NIL is left as is then the minor league team called the University of Iowa should seriously think about quitting sports altogether.

Reactions: luvmyhawks
Why not both? Some of the (legal) money has finally reached the players and now everyone is a whiny bitch.
Seriously? Do you not see that the regulation or balance of this is completely impossible? Imagine trying to accurately count raindrops.

I’m not saying if I was an athlete in that position I wouldn’t try to get mine, I definitely would. But this will destroy the competitive balance in college athletics, what remains anyway.

OMG GUYZ, The Elite recruits that were mostly all going to the Elite programs before NIL will now be going to the Elite programs!!!!!!!! What a difference this is making!
What a short-sighted way to look at NIL. Sure, most Elite recruits went to Elite programs(A whole different subject with the NCAA not being able to control the corruption being a big part of the reason why) but arguable the biggest problem is that NIL is going to turn college students into free agents.

If a player has a breakout year at some school but his NIL money at that school is just ok, why not transfer and go to the highest NIL bidder? Not only that I could see schools that wanted more proven talent could do things like offering transfer bonuses for high-level players.

Those 2 examples are just some minor things schools could do that will totally wreck college sports,

What a short-sighted way to look at NIL. Sure, most Elite recruits went to Elite programs(A whole different subject with the NCAA not being able to control the corruption being a big part of the reason why) but arguable the biggest problem is that NIL is going to turn college students into free agents.

If a player has a breakout year at some school but his NIL money at that school is just ok, why not transfer and go to the highest NIL bidder? Not only that I could see schools that wanted more proven talent could do things like offering transfer bonuses for high-level players.

Those 2 examples are just some minor things schools could do that will totally wreck college sports,
So you are mad that a young adult is trying to improve his/her situation?

So you are mad that a young adult is trying to improve his/her situation?
Nope, let them get theirs if they want to the door is open and it's legal. NIL turns college sports into semi-pro/minor league and who watches the Myrtle Beach Pelicans because they are a fan of the Chicago Cubs? Who pays major league prices to watch single A?

I have been a fan of the University of Iowa Hawkeyes my whole life, I have rooted for them when they were winless or when they were undefeated. I cheered for the player's success and felt sad at their defeat but that is in the context of being a fan of the University of Iowa Hawkeyes. The current NIL threatens to make college sports semipro teams and hence making my team, the University of Iowa Hawkeyes, irrelevant.

I stopped ready after your pointless first sentence.

It’s funny how they get so mad about this for no reason at all. OMG they can make money now, how dare they! My life sucks, so those guys can’t make money also! Screw them!
Such a weird little dynamic we have here. Imagine if all these people saying they don’t like the NIL had to be forced to stay at their job when they know they can make a lot more $$$ elsewhere with better opportunity to grow. Also, who cares how these conferences shake out? I think a huge super conference would be sick AF.

Why not both? Some of the (legal) money has finally reached the players and now everyone is a whiny bitch.
Why don't we just give all the college kids free money and scholarships to the point that they expect everything given to them in life. No one wants to work and appreciate the gains they do in life. Just want to be handed everything free gratis.

Nope ~ the good players will go to the school that offers the scholarship and the $50K per year.

In recruiting, you must equal, or exceed your competition's offer.
iowa will still get about the same level of recruits as we always did. We develop kids. Kids know that. We will get the same kids barely on the radar and off the radar and develop them. Big Ten and SEC are the conferences so those teams are our real competition for talent. We won’t end up with a team full of 2 stars. It just won’t change on average what talent level we end up with.

Why don't we just give all the college kids free money and scholarships to the point that they expect everything given to them in life. No one wants to work and appreciate the gains they do in life. Just want to be handed everything free gratis.
I’d say for some high priced recruits they better be ready for much more vocal criticism because the kid label or amateur athlete and doing it for the fun label will come off quickly.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Title IX may put the brakes on a little
Title IX has nothing to do with it. These are outside companies funding these NIL programs, not the Universities.

There is no getting off on a technicality here. Either these are amateur student athletes or they are not. Either schools are non-profit institutions of higher learning or they are not. Let’s get some clarity, finally.

Title IX has nothing to do with it. These are outside companies funding these NIL programs, not the Universities.

There is no getting off on a technicality here. Either these are amateur student athletes or they are not. Either schools are non-profit institutions of higher learning or they are not. Let’s get some clarity, finally.
They make money like anyone would as a part time job they just make a shit ton more than a normal part time job. This money comes outside of the public institutions so In theory they are still amateur student athletes.

They make money like anyone would as a part time job they just make a shit ton more than a normal part time job. This money comes outside of the public institutions so In theory they are still amateur student athletes.
The part time job they have because they are athletes. The only reason people want to pay them money is because they are athletes. They are professional now, no matter how you want to lawyer your way out of it.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
The part time job they have because they are athletes. The only reason people want to pay them money is because they are athletes. They are professional now, no matter how you want to lawyer your way out of it.
Who cares? They earned their worth in the free market. Why should we have a say on how much a college student can make outside school? Stop being a curmudgeon and embrace the change.

Should we punish kids on a full ride scholarship that make money that aren’t athletes who make the university Pennies compared to what these athletes make the university?

Who cares? They earned their worth in the free market. Why should we have a say on how much a college student can make outside school? Stop being a curmudgeon and embrace the change.
I kind of agree with that point of view, with two exceptions.
1. There is nothing to maintain any competitive balance. That will eventually kill college football.
2. I worry what responsibility a university that purports to care about these people has when they hand an 18 year old in college $100,000.

I think there are ways to solve both problems, by the way. It would be nice if someone in leadership would think about it before the inevitable problems arise.

The idea that the players deserve a cut is something that most people can get behind.

I kind of agree with that point of view, with two exceptions.
1. There is nothing to maintain any competitive balance. That will eventually kill college football.
2. I worry what responsibility a university that purports to care about these people has when they hand an 18 year old in college $100,000.

I think there are ways to solve both problems, by the way. It would be nice if someone in leadership would think about it before the inevitable problems arise.

The idea that the players deserve a cut is something that most people can get behind.
There is plenty of money out there to where there will be as many competitive teams as there is now. NCAA Football is basically OSU, Alabama, Georgia, and Clemson. You don’t think these other teams will have a better shot at taking them down? You don’t think this will help even the playing field? This can be said about basketball as well.

Everyone needs to get off that only the blue bloods will rise to the top. Blue bloods are already there lol. We are underestimating the booster money that is at basically every P5 college. Also let’s not forget how important coaching is in this equation. You see these football teams get damn good recruiting classes but never turn into shit. This will be the same imo but more parity with these 2nd to 3rd tier teams being able to land big recruits more often.

Title 9 sucks as written anyway, revenue plus sports shouldn’t count

There is plenty of money out there to where there will be as many competitive teams as there is now. NCAA Football is basically OSU, Alabama, Georgia, and Clemson. You don’t think these other teams will have a better shot at taking them down? You don’t think this will help even the playing field? This can be said about basketball as well.

Everyone needs to get off that only the blue bloods will rise to the top. Blue bloods are already there lol. We are underestimating the booster money that is at basically every P5 college. Also let’s not forget how important coaching is in this equation. You see these football teams get damn good recruiting classes but never turn into shit. This will be the same imo but more parity with these 2nd to 3rd tier teams being able to land big recruits more often.
You are right that coaching is going to be in high demand, especially when you have to control a team of 18 year olds making $100k per year.

It’s also true that we already have a lopsided playing field. But Clemson is a good example of how a good coach can elevate a program from mediocrity as long as he has access to good recruiting grounds.

I don’t think you appreciate how out of control this is going to get, and the universities and conferences won’t be able to stop it.

Reactions: BrunoMars420
You are right that coaching is going to be in high demand, especially when you have to control a team of 18 year olds making $100k per year.

It’s also true that we already have a lopsided playing field. But Clemson is a good example of how a good coach can elevate a program from mediocrity as long as he has access to good recruiting grounds.

I don’t think you appreciate how out of control this is going to get, and the universities and conferences won’t be able to stop it.
For me I could care less about what it does to the smaller conferences. In terms of money, Right now it is the Big 10 and SEC then everyone else. This helps Iowa a ton imo when it comes to the prospect of super conferences and where we will inevitably fall in this new world of college sports. It will be interesting the next 5 years with those contracts coming up and the $$$ that will keep coming in. I think the NIL is fantastic for the big ten and the amount of $$$ that will be flowing in to these universities for years to come imo.

Reactions: Big Hawk D-Port
For me I could care less about what it does to the smaller conferences. In terms of money, Right now it is the Big 10 and SEC then everyone else. This helps Iowa a ton imo when it comes to the prospect of super conferences and where we will inevitably fall in this new world of college sports. It will be interesting the next 5 years with those contracts coming up and the $$$ that will keep coming in. I think the NIL is fantastic for the big ten and the amount of $$$ that will be flowing in to these universities for years to come imo.
Schools that Iowa outperforms currently, like Miami, Tennessee, Nebraska, Texas, Florida State, and even Missouri could suddenly become much tougher to beat on the recruiting trail.

It’s going to feel good to leave Iowa State in the dust, no question about that.

Schools that Iowa outperforms currently, like Miami, Tennessee, Nebraska, Texas, Florida State, and even Missouri could suddenly become much tougher to beat on the recruiting trail.

It’s going to feel good to leave Iowa State in the dust, no question about that.
I would assume they already beat us on the recruiting trail minus Mizzou. I think the NIL gives us an advantage to keep home grown talent in state.

ADVERTISEMENT