ADVERTISEMENT

OUCH!!! Honest and accurate look at Citrus Bowl matchup...

We could be in for another entertaining post-game SEC broadcaster meltdown.

"I cannot believe Mississippi State lost to that football team. The slowest, whitest Big Ten team there is... I can't believe that MIssissippi State lost to that piece of crap football team...I can't believe that Mississippi state lost to that team --- THAT team? Its unbelievable...."

Good Lord....I completely forgot about this. He was TOTALLY UNHINGED!!! Who is this tool again? Is he even doing this still? LOL!!!!

It's hard to feel confident going into a game when you know you are going to need a huge play on defense or special teams to score any points. Certainly isn't something you want to bet on but this Iowa team has been remarkably good at getting those breaks this season so who knows. But yeah, I don't see very many paths to winning if we are going to have to rely on the offense to score all the points. That's just not something they are very good at.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Lol. Iowa isn’t getting blown out by phvcking Kentucky. Just another homer who thinks his mediocre team is god’s gift to earth because they play in the SEC.
Yes, it’s a homer, but it also is the stereotype Iowa usually faces when competing against an SEC team. We are slow and unathletic, they are superb athletes.. blah blah blah……

Though we won the division this year, that 2018 iowa team was better than this year's version. The 2018 team had really close losses to good teams and in my estimate deserved the division (a couple freak/flukish plays one each against wisc and psu are what denied us). This year we got waxed by strong opponents.

Reactions: amahawk
I remember the lead up the 2010 Orange Bowl...Georgia Tech fans were on this board talking about how GT was going to run up 49 points so fast it was going to make our heads spin. Their high powered offense with speed to burn would make the slow white guys look silly.

What GT fan failed to realize is that there were 9 guys on that defense that got a look in the league and several that made great careers for themselves. I just remember Adrian Clayborn manhandling guys on the edge. Norm was the master...and a one dimensional offense was never going anywhere against a Norm coached defense with that kind of talent. Ah...the memories...Fun night.

I remember those GT fans...their offense was unstoppable. It was *literally* designed to make sure the defense did the wrong thing. We'd have to sell out to stop the run and when we did....BAM.....they'd hit a homerun pass over the top.

We kept telling them "Iowa's defense is pretty salty...just don't see that happening", but they were dead certain Iowa had zero chance of stopping their vaunted triple option. Watching Norm's D shut them down will always be a favorite Hawkeye memory for me. I'm sure they saw Clayborn in their nightmares for years after that game.

We could be in for another entertaining post-game SEC broadcaster meltdown.

"I cannot believe Mississippi State lost to that football team. The slowest, whitest Big Ten team there is... I can't believe that MIssissippi State lost to that piece of crap football team...I can't believe that Mississippi state lost to that team --- THAT team? Its unbelievable...."

Post of the day..... :p

Listen...I'll cast my vote that Iowa plays well offensively in this game against Kentucky. I think giving BF this kind of time, he showed in the Holiday Bowl that Iowa could play offensive football. The first half of that game was great offense and we kept USC off balance pretty much the entire night...49 points with a special teams score and a defensive TD.

Remember, our offense wasn't that good leading up to that USC game...we averaged 19 points a game in the last eight games...and won very much the way we have won this year....defense and special teams.

I think it's a big three weeks of practice for our young offensive linemen. A real opportunity to grow. I'm comfortable with Williams carrying the load on offense...he runs hard and gets tough yards...just what we need. He might not break one like Goodson...but he's pretty damn good if you ask me. I think we surprise Kentucky with a solid outing on offense.

Last edited:
I believe that if you give Parker this much time between games he will come up with a great defensive game plan. The Kentucky offense is in trouble!

Reactions: ichawk24
I remember the lead up the 2010 Orange Bowl...Georgia Tech fans were on this board talking about how GT was going to run up 49 points so fast it was going to make our heads spin. Their high powered offense with speed to burn would make the slow white guys look silly.

What GT fan failed to realize is that there were 9 guys on that defense that got a look in the league and several that made great careers for themselves. I just remember Adrian Clayborn manhandling guys on the edge. Norm was the master...and a one dimensional offense was never going anywhere against a Norm coached defense with that kind of talent. Ah...the memories...Fun night.

That Iowa team had the best defense ever at Iowa and the offense was bad but had a pulse.

This year's offense is a lot worse and defense isn't as good.

I am expecting the offense score 3-6 pts vs Kentucky. Probably medium beatdown. Offense
will be boring.

How are Kentucky special teams? Iowa has great special teams and that made up for an inferior offense in a lot of games.

Last edited:
Reactions: ichawk24
How are Kentucky special teams? Iowa has great special teams and that made up for an inferior defense in a lot of games.
I looked up a couple things ... their punt team was ranked a little lower than Iowa, but not too shabby. They had 4 kicks blocked though, so maybe Iowa goes after them there ... I expect Iowa to win the special teams battle.

How are Kentucky special teams? Iowa has great special teams and that made up for an inferior defense in a lot of games.
Kentucky special teams are ranked the 87th most efficient out of 130 FBS teams, according to ESPN's FPI rankings. Iowa is No. 2 behind Michigan.

Of offense, Iowa is No. 98. On defense, Iowa is No. 8.

That's two outstanding units and one not-so-good unit.

Kentucky No. 22 on offense, No. 33 on defense and 87th on special teams.

Sounds like a good matchup that plays into Iowa's hands because few teams expect to lose because of special teams despite Iowa's success at getting opponents to do just that.

Not just GT fans. The entire country thought iowa was going to get smoked. They used to do those espn nation polls or whatever they were called and iowa was literally the only state that voted that iowa would win iirc.

Some posters on here are saying KY does not have a good pass defense and if that is true and if Iowa can pass block decently then I like our offenses chances. I think the hawks will be able to run well enough to run play action fairly well. Levis hurt us last year early with QB runs but I do not know if that is a KY focus. The hawks usually do very well defensivlely against the run. All in all I like our chances. KY defense not as good as Miss St so run the ball and grind it and take your shots passing the ball. I hope IKM has a great game cutting back and running the ball

Not just GT fans. The entire country thought iowa was going to get smoked. They used to do those espn nation polls or whatever they were called and iowa was literally the only state that voted that iowa would win iirc.
Not me. I thought Iowa would win. A very happy Orange Bowl for me.

This right here. Looking at their schedule and who they beat and lost to. Best wins were against a couple of 6-6 teams. We may lose but this team has no where near the talent that LSU team had when we played them 15 years ago. Also the qb will Levis former psu qb who got benched 2nd half vs us last year and never got the job back from Clifford.
Yes. Would not be shocked if either team won this game. But Kentucky is not Michigan. Would be nice for the Iowa offense to show some improvement in a month, but not overly optimistic.

Reactions: red/green hawk
That offense had the "it" factor. An average O does not come back from Indiana like they did.
T Sash came to the rescue that day. I love Stanzi but 5 picks is tough to overcome without a great defense. I know he made some nice throws later in the game but it would’ve been out of reach without a few crucial red zone stops

Kentucky and Mississippi State don’t compare to Iowa in the overall history and landscape of college football history. Shut up right there. They sure as hell don’t match up with Iowa for putting guys in the NFL so shut up. We have guys that are black and white on our football team so we aren’t a slow bunch of white guys! We are a black and white mixture of tough son of a bitches so “F” off with your SEC crap!!!

Reactions: red/green hawk
T Sash came to the rescue that day. I love Stanzi but 5 picks is tough to overcome without a great defense. I know he made some nice throws later in the game but it would’ve been out of reach without a few crucial red zone stops
Agreed, the D did need to step up. But the receiving group of McNutt, DJK, and Moeaki are arguably one of the best groups Iowa has ever had. The were good. And that offense could've bailed the D out if needed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT