ADVERTISEMENT

Ouch

It's not an "ouch" situation. Look at how poorly this area is performing and f**king fix it.

Petras has been in our program for years now and he's sub-par.

Nope, especially the part about Ferentz sticking with Petras all season.
Most likely. I would agree though that given the very limited off season work, it could be detrimental to both Hogan or Padilla as well as the team to put someone out there if they are not better prepared. Setting up someone to fail can only harm their future development. If someone else needs to be "thrown to the lions" this year it would have to be Padilla. Certainly if SP doesn't make marked improvement the rest of the season, the QB race needs to be WIDE open come January......

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Most likely. I would agree though that given the very limited off season work, it could be detrimental to both Hogan or Padilla as well as the team to put someone out there if they are not better prepared. Setting up someone to fail can only harm their future development. If someone else needs to be "thrown to the lions" this year it would have to be Padilla. Certainly if SP doesn't make marked improvement the rest of the season, the QB race needs to be WIDE open come January......
They should both be playing right NOW to see who's better. No more patience, no more waiting...try the other guys with significant snaps.

When Petras struggles the next game, bring in Padilla for a series or two so we can see what this kid can do vs the first team D and with the first team O. With covid, you can never have enough qb’s ready to play and with experience. And there is a reason Petras was committed to Oregon State and not a blue blood like USC.

Wisconsin starts a true freshman in Graham Mertz who is tearing it up with the Badgers. He made Michigan look bad, really bad. Why can’t we see if Deuce can do the same thing too? Play both Padilla and Hogan to prepare for next year because Petras does not have “it”.

When Petras struggles the next game, bring in Padilla for a series or two so we can see what this kid can do vs the first team D and with the first team O. With covid, you can never have enough qb’s ready to play and with experience. And there is a reason Petras was committed to Oregon State and not a blue blood like USC.

Wisconsin starts a true freshman in Graham Mertz who is tearing it up with the Badgers. He made Michigan look bad, really bad. Why can’t we see if Deuce can do the same thing too? Play both Padilla and Hogan to prepare for next year because Petras does not have “it”.
Mertz isn’t a true freshman, but your point still stands. I wonder how good Coan was looking if he was still to be the starter? I just think some guys are gamers and it’s hard to see how good they can be until playing in a real game.

We all know that's never going to happen. Given that this year does not count toward eligibility, we should be playing everyone one on the roster.
Not everyone is going to return just because they can, and even in this crap COVID year, you still want to win whatever game you play. The NFL isn't closing down, so some will leave for the money.

Now if you're talking playing all the QB's ("should be playing everyone on the roster"), then I'm on board just because that position has been so poor. Losing those first 2 games put us squarely behind the eight ball in a shortened season, so maybe it doesn't really matter at this point. But this isn't participation trophy Football, and as bad as I feel for Petras as I'm sure he's a great kid, the fact is if you're not getting the job done then somebody else gets a shot to see if they can, regardless of position. That's how it is supposed to work.

The stats don't always tell the whole story, but in this case my eyes tell me those stats make perfect sense, and they are abysmal. Petras is in his 3rd year in the program and has played a lot of Football in his short lifetime, but it clearly isn't translating to the field of play at this point. It really sucks that we're only 4 games in and having this discussion about this young man, but it's so evident it can't be ignored. Maybe he just needs a stadium full of people to play better, IDK, it's just not good.

The Hawk Fan in me wants him benched, the human in me wants him to turn it around AND FAST.

There's a lengthy body of evidence that is available to evaluate before a player comes to Iowa as a qb recruit. Probably more so than any other power 5 program.
He knows that the head guy picks his starter and goes with him no matter what. It's great if you are the one selected; a career of mostly no playing time if not. I wouldn't be surprised that if Padilla wants to play qb he'll be moving on after this season.

Urban meyer knew all kinds of things about mertz. He barely knew our recruits names ;).

Mertz was a top 50 recruit per rivals.

I think it is a fallacy (but KF subscribes to it) that playing too early can destroy a promising young QB's future. Maybe if the OL is terrible you risk injury, but then in a that case, going with a guy that can move (padilla) vs a statue (petras) is a better move.

I think the idea of avoiding a QB controversy by not playing the backup is also bogus, but KF subscribes to it. Everybody benefits from true competition. If I were BF, I would be giving Padilla more series each game and situationally, I could see going with Padilla for cases where you don't want to go full wildcat with Goodson and keep the possibility open for a pass.

This year should be Padilla/Petra audition. Petras looks to be making a case to be benched
next year and next year will be Padilla/Hogan. I wouldn't say it is impossible that Petras becomes
a good QB, but it looks unlikely. Cream usually rises to the top early, not late.

I’ll say this. I have coached at every level. And in my experience you usually can tell pretty quickly if a QB has “it”. Sometimes it’s hard to pinpoint what “it” is, but you can usually tell. To me Petras doesn’t look like he has “it”.

That’s not to say that he isn’t the best guy they have. And I don’t think the staff did him any favors in the NW game plan. I do think it probably makes a difference that it’s a weird year with no spring practice. However you see other young guys all over the country jumping in and looking great.

My concern is how many games are we going to lose before taking a look at the next guy in. Hopefully Petras proves me wrong. I will say I feel like we have seen Padilla in these last couple Games before we normally see the backup so maybe the coaches are wanting to get a look, although he hasn’t thrown hardly at all.

I’ll say this. I have coached at every level. And in my experience you usually can tell pretty quickly if a QB has “it”. Sometimes it’s hard to pinpoint what “it” is, but you can usually tell. To me Petras doesn’t look like he has “it”.

That’s not to say that he isn’t the best guy they have. And I don’t think the staff did him any favors in the NW game plan. I do think it probably makes a difference that it’s a weird year with no spring practice. However you see other young guys all over the country jumping in and looking great.

My concern is how many games are we going to lose before taking a look at the next guy in. Hopefully Petras proves me wrong. I will say I feel like we have seen Padilla in these last couple Games before we normally see the backup so maybe the coaches are wanting to get a look, although he hasn’t thrown hardly at all.
I thought the same thing. In past years we probably would not have seen Padilla, given how raw Petras is at this point, but I think they are taking a look at Padilla..

I was hoping Petris would be as good as Stanley was when he was a 1st year starter. It's not happening.

KF doesn't make sudden moves, we know that. But he is also fond of "next man in" and "he's got a scholarship too". In a makeshift season filled with uncertainty, it's hard to argue that Padilla doesn't deserve a chance with the starters.

Petris has skills, but it's not coming together. The most experienced guy doesn't always get the job. It's time to try something different just to see if it works,

Reactions: IowaNiceHawk
Iowa football under kf has always always always been held back by conservative qb play. We always have a top 20 defense. Par for the course till change comes

Reactions: CarterHall

I think the main thing is that Padilla is smaller than Petras, and has a softer throw (i.e. less arm strength).

But in Iowa's offense, it's actually better to be accurate than to have more strength.

However, the big question still remains. Will the coaching staff continue to treat the QB position like a sheltered child, or will they allow them to start being athletes?

Doesn't matter who is under center if that problem remains.....

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
Sometimes a QB controversy or an unsettled QB situation can do worse damage. sometimes not. Like in the case of Jake Chrsitensen keeping the starting job way too long over Ricki Stanzi... This situation, I do not know. I think the first two games could be due to lack of spring ball etc. And not being settled in. I did notice against
MN that Petras was not throwing 100 mph fastballs on 10 yard passes. He seemed to find some touch. The past two games Iowa's offense scored 70 points (includes the pats/two pt.conversion) so a wait and see approach would be my take. Perhaps Petras got off to a rocky start, but is coming along. If there isn't noticeable improvement, especially better than a lackluster 50% completion percentage, then give some offensive series to Padilla.-- I know, it's a non committal wishy washy post.. but mho.

Lombardi tore up Michigan, too. It says more about Michigan than the QB playing.

I was hoping Petris would be as good as Stanley was when he was a 1st year starter. It's not happening.

KF doesn't make sudden moves, we know that. But he is also fond of "next man in" and "he's got a scholarship too". In a makeshift season filled with uncertainty, it's hard to argue that Padilla doesn't deserve a chance with the starters.

Petris has skills, but it's not coming together. The most experienced guy doesn't always get the job. It's time to try something different just to see if it works,

Hawk 4shur has it about right. From I have seen, I'd have little hesitation about trying
Alex Padilla; Alex looks calm, hearing he's extremely intelligent but maybe doesnt have as much
Arm strength. Accuracy though, is always more important than arm strength. It's true in Baseball
& Football. If your wild half the time, it's just not going to be effective.
All this being said, obviously the Coaches see these guys every day. Get your guy ready to Roll this week!

Reactions: Hawk_4shur

Well, Mertz isn't a true freshman. Michigan looked bad last night because they are bad, not because of Mertz. He actually had a pretty pedestrian game last night.

Reactions: chuck285
I hear Ferentz say what a natural leader Petras is. I have no reason to doubt that he is indeed a leader. I’m sure his potential is off the charts too. Problem is, he looks rattled in the pocket, cant seem to put any touch on his throws, and locks onto his Receivers especially Ragani.

Well, Mertz isn't a true freshman. Michigan looked bad last night because they are bad, not because of Mertz. He actually had a pretty pedestrian game last night.
Mertz was 12-22, 158yds vs. Mich.

Petras is less than mediocre. The coaches have this catch-22 going where they say he is playing poorly because he hasn't had enough reps, so the worse he plays the more playing time he needs.

But I agree Padilla at least should be getting several quality series a game, if not a start. Give him a chance.

Reactions: IowaNiceHawk
Mertz was 12-22, 158yds vs. Mich.

Petras is less than mediocre. The coaches have this catch-22 going where they say he is playing poorly because he hasn't had enough reps, so the worse he plays the more playing time he needs.

But I agree Padilla at least should be getting several quality series a game, if not a start. Give him a chance.
Yeah, like I said he had a nice pedestrian game, played ok, didn't have to win it.

Sometimes a QB controversy or an unsettled QB situation can do worse damage. sometimes not. Like in the case of Jake Chrsitensen keeping the starting job way too long over Ricki Stanzi... This situation, I do not know. I think the first two games could be due to lack of spring ball etc. And not being settled in. I did notice against
MN that Petras was not throwing 100 mph fastballs on 10 yard passes. He seemed to find some touch. The past two games Iowa's offense scored 70 points (includes the pats/two pt.conversion) so a wait and see approach would be my take. Perhaps Petras got off to a rocky start, but is coming along. If there isn't noticeable improvement, especially better than a lackluster 50% completion percentage, then give some offensive series to Padilla.-- I know, it's a non committal wishy washy post.. but mho.
As long as we play more teams with really poor run Defense's, we should be fine. We've already lost 2 games because of really poor QB play, more specifically 2nd half play when the game is on the line (the fumbles at Purdue didn't help to be sure).

And frankly, it's been hard to watch this "passing attack". Kept thinking it was going to get better game by game, but all they did is say we'll just fix it by throwing swing passes behind the line of scrimmage primarily. Kirk has largely often been the Checkdown King anyway, but this is a whole new level, out of necessity unfortunately.

Any completed forward pass is currently cause for celebration. That is not good folks. If we need Petras to play well in order for us to win, well right now that's a scary proposition.

It's not an "ouch" situation. Look at how poorly this area is performing and f**king fix it.

Petras has been in our program for years now and he's sub-par.

understood however I don’t want to “offend” anyone who may have another opinion on it .. I am 1000% with what the article says and I believe it was spot on

I keep hearing about the abundance of talent at WR, but are they getting open/separation? Haven’t heard the announcers comment about Petras missing wide open WR’s much.

Not saying Petras has been great or good, but are people giving the WR’s too much of a pass concerning the passing game woes?

What frustrates me is pulling Stanley's redshirt 4 years ago for him to be a backup...Stanley as a 5th year Sr this year and we are 4 and 0 and in top 15 right now...as a FR he only threw 9 passes...

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
I agree with everything said. Since this is a free year eligibility wise both backup QBs should get a series or more. Plus we’re 2-2 and a b10 title is out of reach.

It can be a tough decision as a coach. But, KF will find out this week against Penn St. as they are going to gear up to totally stop the run game. As someone else already said this is big boy football. It's time for a change!

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
ADVERTISEMENT