ADVERTISEMENT

Our Bench

wbrhawkeye

HR MVP
Jun 12, 2012
Great win in spite of no contributions from the bench. We need Kriener and Evelyn to be much better. Pemsl can stay on the bench unless emergency situation.

Reactions: kcgolfer
Kriener is a legit B1G caliber player to bring off the bench. Bakari has had moments this season, but not consistent. Pemsl---still too risky on his passing. I'd like to see more Riley Till.

Brad Underwood in his post game presser said Pemsl hadn’t hit a shot in a month yet their guy went out to defend him and left Garza. He wasn’t happy about that.

LimpingWavyCoqui-small.gif

The bench will most likely be a source of relatively few points, but getting none regularly will make it tough sledding the rest of the way. Pemsl may only get a garbage bucket every third game but it's not unreasonable to expect 4-6 points from BK for the amount of time he has the ball on the floor. RK is the one, though, that should be carrying the bench scoring load.

Three primary scorers getting 55-60 a game among them. Connor to get in the 6-8 range. Joe T 4-6. Bakari 4-6. RK 8-10.

One of the strengths of this team is the right guys are getting most of the shots. Of course, more scoring from others would be great, but missed shots from others is a problem.

Let the scorers shoot when ever possible. The other guys should not shoot anything other than a layup in the first 10 seconds of the shot clock.

The bench may not have scored, but to say they didn't make contributions is off.
I agree. The bench had 6 rebs, 7 assists, 2 blocks, and 1 steal. Plus, they rested the starters. Not bad from that angle, but I'd sure like to see Bakari and Ryan start knocking a few down again. Cordell is limited in ability since the surgery, but he tries his best. I'd rather have him out there to defend and distribute.

I agree. The bench had 6 rebs, 7 assists, 2 blocks, and 1 steal. Plus, they rested the starters. Not bad from that angle, but I'd sure like to see Bakari and Ryan start knocking a few down again. Cordell is limited in ability since the surgery, but he tries his best. I'd rather have him out there to defend and distribute.

they were bad. It's okay to say that. The bench played a combined 48 minutes and the above along with a 0-6 shooting mark is just bad basketball. A bad player is going to get those numbers just by existing if they are on the floor for 48 minutes.

Kriener overall has had a very good senior season, he's been a very good Big 10 bench post player. The others have not been good. It hasn't hurt Iowa yet too much in that the best players are getting the most shots. That is good. If teams go to extremes and just don't guard anyone other than Garza, Wieskamp and Frederick it becomes a problem.

Kriener overall has had a very good senior season, he's been a very good Big 10 bench post player.
Agree, he's been much better this year, but he has to begin to approach more consistency offensively. He and Bakari both. I don't expect much from Cordell or Riley offensively, but they can defend and rest the others.
Edit to reflect Ryan's scoring average of 7.3/game. He's capable of having a higher average. It's not a knock on his overall game. He's given us lifts when we needed them. I just think as a senior he is capable of a little more scoring. Bakari, on the other hand should pick it up. If we don't get this going down the stretch it could be tough, especially if Garza and the other starters pick up fouls.

Last edited:
Why do we want worse players taking more shots. Garza, CJF, and Wieskamp should take a gazillion shots. And Mcaffrey, Toussaint, and Kriener get to pick their spots. Garza and Evelyn don’t get to shoot unless nobody is guarding them.
because you get more points when your bench scores, duh!

those worthless starter points aren't gonna cut it ;)

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
they were bad. It's okay to say that. The bench played a combined 48 minutes and the above along with a 0-6 shooting mark is just bad basketball. A bad player is going to get those numbers just by existing if they are on the floor for 48 minutes.

Kriener overall has had a very good senior season, he's been a very good Big 10 bench post player. The others have not been good. It hasn't hurt Iowa yet too much in that the best players are getting the most shots. That is good. If teams go to extremes and just don't guard anyone other than Garza, Wieskamp and Frederick it becomes a problem.
well then send those 3 all out around the 3 point line and let the opponents entire D abandon the inside for CMAC and JT to drive and score :)

Yeah, it would be nice if Bakari could do what he did against Maryland and a few other games. I think people forget how much he stepped up for some of those early conference wins. There's no way Iowa would have run away with that one if it wasn't for Bakari. And, yeah, Kreiner has put up two straight duds. I think it might just be a slump for him because he's played well most of the year. And Pemsl gives better minutes than most people give him credit for. He had eight rebounds against Maryland when Kreiner and Garza were on the bench. Without Pemsl in that game it would have been a blowout.

The bench is what it is this year, but it's not as bad as people are making it out to be. The most noticeable weakness is scoring, but people seem to forget that Iowa is still running away with the #1 offense in the conference. Iowa mostly needs the minutes from the bench to rest the starters, keep the game close, limit turnovers, rebound, play decent defense, and maybe even slow the game down (at least when all three of them are out there). I mean, Iowa is 7-4 in conference and was 9-2 out of conference and the SOS of both noncon and con this year is way more difficult than it's been in years.

It's like people have forgotten that JBo, Nunge, and PMac are injured/sick and even with a short-handed team the Hawks are still exceeding all expectations. I'm amazed at what this team has done so far this year.

Yes, they were bad for the most part last game. Kreiner is the only one off the bench that is likely going to have big scoring games from time to time. But these guys can - and do - contribute in other ways.

This team has two prime time scorers and a high-level 3rd option. For the most part, they have been able to get rotating contributions from Connor, Touissant, and Kreiner on the scoring front.

I don’t expect Evelyn, Pemsl, and Till to score much. I just want them to do the little things and give the main guys some rest.

We've all heard the line that "Certain players have success against certain teams". Last year, we played Purdue at their place and got blown out 86-70. Carsen Edwards is gone now and he had 21 pts in that game. Haarms had 9 pts.

Ryan had 10 pts, 3 rbs, 2 ast, and a steal in 17 min. He also had 4 to's.
I'm erasing the to's. We could sure use his effort from last year. He was also 3-3 in fgs and perfect from the line (4).

If he can have a similar game, minus a couple of to's, and if Bakari can toss in a couple of shots, then we'll be in good shape.

The last three game have been as physical as it gets and we were up against some good big men. It should be no surprise our bench has struggled. Nothing comes easy on the offensive end when people are up in your face even for RK.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT