ADVERTISEMENT

Our colors, Hawkeye history, Hawkeye state

May 17, 2021
So I'm doing research for a book and remembering the story of how Hayden asked the Steelers to use their uniform design, and I've seen pics of older Hawkeye uniforms that have a different color of yellow/gold. Universities and companies didn't quite get serious about color palette and brand identity until the 70s anyway. I know that the school colors were chosen as black and gold back in the 1880s when a local kid got his senior class to vote on his idea for colors.

Did Iowa change the color of the gold over the years in any way? Looking up old pics, back into the 50s, I see the same gold (really should be called orange-yellow) as today, but in earlier decades, only blacks and greys in photos. ;) Does anyone remember any changes if we don't have color pics?

Found out today that the state bird is a Goldfinch. I grew up in Ohio and know the state bird is a cardinal, and state tree the buckeye, and it's no surprise that the buckeyes are scarlet and grey. Learned today from an OSU fan on Quora that the TV show "Coach" was based on Fry. Wow! And that Iowa didn't steal the Steelers' colors, but certain aspects of the uniform. Iowa's colors were Iowa's for most of a century before the Steelers "stole" them from Iowa, I guess, and the Steelers also stole the logo from US Steel, as well as the heart right out of the chest of this Browns fan growing up in Cleveland in the 70s.

Indiana's state bird is also the cardinal, and IU is their flagship university, and that might be why it's tough to know which team is which from a distance when IU plays OSU.

Saw a goldfinch on the feeder early this morning while writing, luminous in the sunlight, and for the first time, I really do see where Iowa actually got their colors. Or vice versa, because the university's colors were chosen five decades before the legislature adopted the goldfinch as the state bird. The University of Iowa made the state of Iowa more than any other single institution. Lawyers. Doctors. Educators. Writers. All these people who wrote our laws or taught our children went to Iowa more than any other institution. You name it.

This is the Hawkeye state because the university created its identity over a span of 175 years.

And we've got ideological, myopic, corporate stooge politicians in Des Moines and Washington who viciously keep cutting funding to our Flagship and to ISU and UNI, which is like someone amputating their own feet and their other hand.

Just when Old Gold ceased to be used in favor of a much brighter yellow, I don't know. According to information from the university, Old Gold is still the official color (with black). "Old Gold" is referenced in "On, Iowa", which was written in 1919, and there was for many decades a student organization named "The Old Gold Singers". Old Gold is one of Purdue's colors, and their teams wear it. At least when Iowa's uniforms used Old Gold, they were not referred to as bumblebees.

Just when Old Gold ceased to be used in favor of a much brighter yellow, I don't know. According to information from the university, Old Gold is still the official color (with black). "Old Gold" is referenced in "On, Iowa", which was written in 1919, and there was for many decades a student organization named "The Old Gold Singers". Old Gold is one of Purdue's colors, and their teams wear it. At least when Iowa's uniforms used Old Gold, they were not referred to as bumblebees.
When Hayden changed the unis he was asked by a reporter about the color not being old gold and he said "it's new gold."
As far as old gold being the official color, I read an article about students getting together long ago and supposedly a female student had a ribbon colored old gold. She offered that as a good color and the students voted it in. Iowa's song starting "Iowa calm and secure on thy hill looking down on the river below" has a line 'DAUGHTERS AND SONS IF OLD GOLD." ibelieve it is called the Alma Mater song.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT