ADVERTISEMENT

Our Effed-Up Justice System

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
Over a 12-month period ending last fall, just 290 of the nearly 72,000 federal criminal defendants charged by the Justice Department were acquitted at trial. That’s less than one half of 1 percent.

Only 1,379 were convicted at trial — a paltry 2 percent.

The vast majority facing a D.O.J. indictment decided either to plead guilty outright or accept a plea deal....

more here

If the Feds bring a case against you, you’re screwed and need to cut a deal. They have so many ways to nail your ass to the wall, it really isn’t fair.

If all else fails, RICO is broad, and mail “fraud” is too.

Last edited:
Reactions: ClarindaA's
Over a 12-month period ending last fall, just 290 of the nearly 72,000 federal criminal defendants charged by the Justice Department were acquitted at trial. That’s less than one half of 1 percent.

Only 1,379 were convicted at trial — a paltry 2 percent.

The vast majority facing a D.O.J. indictment decided either to plead guilty outright or accept a plea deal....

more here

Especially when it comes to federal crimes I would say this is just the product of a very professional law enforcement and prosecution.

Reactions: Bank of Hawk
Had an acquaintance end up in federal prison. When they discovered his crimes, rather than arrest him at that juncture, they set him up to be caught red handed. Feds won’t charge on flimsy evidence.

While the court system certainly is far from perfect, I don’t see how pointing out this fact somehow infers it is a f’d up system.

Especially when it comes to federal crimes I would say this is just the product of a very professional law enforcement and prosecution.
Sounds a lot more like prosecutors piling on every charge they can come up with and then using our abandonment of the speedy trial promise of our system to force most defendants into accepting a plea.

That's not justice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT