ADVERTISEMENT

Our nationwide Police force is nearly beyond reform

It’s almost like we can support and want reform at the same time. Maybe that’s too complex for you.
I would argue that wanting transparency, accountability, reforms where needed, as well as finding ways to fund programs and policies and initiatives known to be crime preventative is the best way to support law enforcement. Never mind supporting economic policy that creates a more stable society, which, ultimately, is the greatest crime prevention tool available.

I'm taking a morning shit.. thought I'd check up on you all. And just like I thought, you idiots are arguing about the same shit you always. Hey, do fatherless homes and the correlation to crime rates next! Helmets
Do all the correlations, bro. All of them. Socioeconomic conditions micro and macro. All of them. Don't just pick and choose the ideologically-affirming! Pretty please with sugar on top!

Wait! I thought we were supporting our police again. Man this board gets topsy turvy doesn't it?

No you just don't seem intelligent enough to spot the difference.

I support police officers who do their jobs correctly within the bounds of the law with professionalism.

I don't support police officers who abuse their positions, plant evidence, or beat or kill suspects who are not resisting violently.

The Capitol police officers appear to have done their job correctly and with courage. The only person that died was rightly shot attempting to break through glass on a door to a hallway that led directly to protected persons. In terms of injuries the police officers were injured while the perpetrators were not save for the woman who was shot.

When a cop pistol whips a person who is not resisting violently that's breaking the law. I don't support that. Doesn't matter if they wear a badge or not.

The law applies to cops too. They don't get special exemptions from the law just cause they put on the uniform.

There are endless stories about things like this. What the **** is the answer?!

I think you have to identify how many police/civilian interactions there are daily the calculate how many are inappropriate and/or criminal, then categorize them and build your new hire screening and training program around those statistics.

I think you have to identify how many police/civilian interactions there are daily the calculate how many are inappropriate and/or criminal, then categorize them and build your new hire screening and training program around those statistics.

To me rather than go through all of that nonsense, I think I would rather just figure out that when cops do bad things. . . when they break the law while in uniform. Why do their fellow cops also cover for them and why is it often so damn hard to prosecute them.

Policing is never going to be perfect but we can make it a whole heck of a lot better if we can remove the barriers that often stand between bad police officers and consequences for their actions.

Too many people are willing to fight tooth and nail to protect a cop who has broken the law.

Having experienced racism from our finest, all I can say is there are a lot of racist neanderthal mouthbreathers on the police force. It's even worse because there is a cabal between these neanderthals and their bff's forever white prosecutors who will indict anything that isn't white and absolve anything white, especially with a badge on.

Having experienced racism from our finest, all I can say is there are a lot of racist neanderthal mouthbreathers on the police force. It's even worse because there is a cabal between these neanderthals and their bff's forever white prosecutors who will indict anything that isn't white and absolve anything white, especially with a badge on.
And both will continue to do what they do even after being prosecuted and incarcerated.

Reactions: GOHOX69
To me rather than go through all of that nonsense, I think I would rather just figure out that when cops do bad things. . . when they break the law while in uniform. Why do their fellow cops also cover for them and why is it often so damn hard to prosecute them.

Policing is never going to be perfect but we can make it a whole heck of a lot better if we can remove the barriers that often stand between bad police officers and consequences for their actions.

Too many people are willing to fight tooth and nail to protect a cop who has broken the law.
So you want to address the problem from an "after the fact" point of view? Why not screen candidates better as well as curtail their training upon entry into the force. Additionally, police do need a sense of brotherhood and trust, BUT that goes out the door when criminal behavior is involved--no different than the armed forces brotherhood mentality.

To me, two parts that need to be looked at are qualified immunity and increased transparency. Not the least of the reasons for the current frustration towards law enforcement for me are that police publicly rarely seem to be held accountable and few if any reasons are given as to why. We know they have review processes in place when stuff happens but the general public doesn’t know/understand what those are. So when it’s announced that an officer will not be charged after an incident, and all we have is limited video that on its own looks bad, people get angry because they can’t understand how they got away with it.

I totally understand that a cop can make the best decision possible in that moment, but can have tragic consequences because they were wrong in hindsight. Police training needs to find ways to incorporate what they learn from these mistakes so that hopefully they happen less often in the future.

So you want to address the problem from an "after the fact" point of view? Why not screen candidates better as well as curtail their training upon entry into the force. Additionally, police do need a sense of brotherhood and trust, BUT that goes out the door when criminal behavior is involved--no different than the armed forces brotherhood mentality.
I don’t see this as an either / or problem. Clearly, screening candidates needs to improve. Police training also needs to improve. So does the review/disciplinary process on the back end of all this as well. Even good cops can screw the pooch on occasion.

I don't know how good we actually are at screening people though. I'm certainly open to trying anything that might improve the situation.

That said the part that I'm focused on is the barriers to consequences that seem to appear. To me eliminating those is also a preventative measure. Like any other job I'm sure you sort of learn on the job what you can get away with and what you can't get away with. So when a new cop sees that there are no consequences for roughing up suspects they are more likely to behave in a similar pattern.

People generally only follow the rules that are enforced in some way.

To me, two parts that need to be looked at are qualified immunity and increased transparency. Not the least of the reasons for the current frustration towards law enforcement for me are that police publicly rarely seem to be held accountable and few if any reasons are given as to why. We know they have review processes in place when stuff happens but the general public doesn’t know/understand what those are. So when it’s announced that an officer will not be charged after an incident, and all we have is limited video that on its own looks bad, people get angry because they can’t understand how they got away with it.

I totally understand that a cop can make the best decision possible in that moment, but can have tragic consequences because they were wrong in hindsight. Police training needs to find ways to incorporate what they learn from these mistakes so that hopefully they happen less often in the future.

Qualified immunity is something I would certainly like to see weakened or eliminated. I think that's one of the barriers that exists that protects bad cops from consequences.

I don't know how good we actually are at screening people though. I'm certainly open to trying anything that might improve the situation.

That said the part that I'm focused on is the barriers to consequences that seem to appear. To me eliminating those is also a preventative measure. Like any other job I'm sure you sort of learn on the job what you can get away with and what you can't get away with. So when a new cop sees that there are no consequences for roughing up suspects they are more likely to behave in a similar pattern.

People generally only follow the rules that are enforced in some way.
ScalyHalfGuineapig-size_restricted.gif

Sounds like the police officer is being held accountable, which is a good thing. My only question is was this done on their own or did this require a bystander to video the situation so it couldn't be buried? If they self regulated themselves then I would call that progress. It is unfortunate this happened at all, though.

Reactions: CarolinaHawkeye
Sounds like the police officer is being held accountable, which is a good thing. My only question is was this done on their own or did this require a bystander to video the situation so it couldn't be buried? If they self regulated themselves then I would call that progress. It is unfortunate this happened at all, though.
Chauvin would be rampaging the streets today if it wasn't for a teen and her cellphonee..

Mental health. I honestly believe that's the biggest issue facing policing today. I suspect there are a lot of LEOs suffering from PTSD, anxiety, depression, etc. that aren't getting the help they need.

On top of that, our current culture has a very antagonistic view of what should be deemed an honorable profession. In addition to weeding out the Derek Chauvins of the world, police officers need better support and better pay.

Mental health. I honestly believe that's the biggest issue facing policing today. I suspect there are a lot of LEOs suffering from PTSD, anxiety, depression, etc. that aren't getting the help they need.

On top of that, our current culture has a very antagonistic view of what should be deemed an honorable profession. In addition to weeding out the Derek Chauvins of the world, police officers need better support and better pay.
Mental health across the board!

OT: My bi-polar father is manic--once again--and there's no real way to help him. We just have to wait until he or someone else is injured to get him the help he needs. This country's mental health SUCKS!

For the good ones for sure. Lots of pos people also infiltrating the ranks and White Supremacists confirmed by their groups.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
The police need to police themselves if they want to win back the trust of the people.

Instead of doing things like this:

Reactions: Chishawk1425
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT