ADVERTISEMENT

Our "nil" vs others

nbanflfactory

HR Heisman
Aug 22, 2021
Just curious if anyone knows anything how our "nil" works vs other schools.
I found it interesting that riley moss passed on "nil", stating it was going to take up too much of his time and focus. Is it like this at other schools? I'd imagine many schools aren't expecting much at all from the athletes, at least time wise. Maybe I'm wrong though...??

What about the non hawks here, you notice anything similiar with your players turning down nil money?

Edit: I should say he turned down "nil club" not necessarily all "nil" opportunities.

I found it interesting that riley moss passed on "nil", stating it was going to take up too much of his time and focus. Is it like this at other schools? I'd imagine many schools aren't expecting much at all from the athletes, at least time wise. Maybe I'm wrong though...??

What about the non hawks here, you notice anything similiar with your players turning down nil money?

Edit: I should say he turned down "nil club" not necessarily all "nil" opportunities.
There will multiple NIL opportunities for the players. I believe The Swarm Collective presser is tomorrow. However, the schools don’t have much to do with it other than acknowledging and supporting certain ones as they all need to be compliant.

The people who set up that club at Iowa Moss declined have done the exact same thing at several other schools.

The Swarm Collective introductory press conference is today. The one Tx_Hawk is working on.
This is the one you fans truly have to get/donate into.
It has the blessing of the athletic dept and is being done right. With Iowa's resources it will keep us very competitive.

It has the blessing of the athletic dept and is being done right. With Iowa's resources it will keep us very competitive.
I already did for the one the players generated.

I already did for the one the players generated.
You’ll be ok as long as you don’t write it off on your taxes.realize that is basically a marketing guy doing it with alot of schools. Who knows what % will make it to the players under that one.

You’ll be ok as long as you don’t write it off on your taxes.realize that is basically a marketing guy doing it with alot of schools. Who knows what % will make it to the players under that one.
Seems like that one is setup as I’m going to make my money and let the players have some of it, but me first.

Reactions: DogBoyRy
It seemed to state this new one only went to Football and M & W basketball?? Wrestling setting up their own?

Iowa is going to have 2 collectives.

One is going to exist only to play players. A "business expense" for wealthy businesses - not a charitable contribution.

The other one can receive tax deductible donations. Players will receive a stipend in exchange for doing charitable work, helping community orgs raise money, etc.

The players for the most prominent schools are in for the biggest paydays, which is hardly surprising.
Iowa will most likely outperform its NIL support, which I would suspect will be in the lower half of the B1G. At least in the near term.
The question is what affect will NIL have in on field performance in widening the gap between the haves and the have nots? B1G broadcast deals ensure dollars to the athletic departments. While that provides advantages to players, it's not at all the same thing as the direct compensation they can get from the NIL deals. It's hardly going out on a limb to predict that the most talented players will be gravitating to the places that offer them the best income.

The players for the most prominent schools are in for the biggest paydays, which is hardly surprising.
Iowa will most likely outperform its NIL support, which I would suspect will be in the lower half of the B1G. At least in the near term.
The question is what affect will NIL have in on field performance in widening the gap between the haves and the have nots? B1G broadcast deals ensure dollars to the athletic departments. While that provides advantages to players, it's not at all the same thing as the direct compensation they can get from the NIL deals. It's hardly going out on a limb to predict that the most talented players will be gravitating to the places that offer them the best income.
And, of course, this will be the problem. Better players are the life blood of a program. It's nice to be somewhat better than our NIL standard, but is it sustainable?

I agree especially helpful with women's BB I would think

And, of course, this will be the problem. Better players are the life blood of a program. It's nice to be somewhat better than our NIL standard, but is it sustainable?
That's why I qualified my statement with "in the near term". I think you're implying that it's not sustainable for Iowa, or any team, to have long term consistent success disproportionate to the financial resources that they are devoting to player pay. Which I think is likely true. Maybe they can develop some kind of "Moneyball" process? But that would probably take heavily embracing the portal, transfers and poaching undervalued/overperforming players from lower level teams.

ADVERTISEMENT