ADVERTISEMENT

Ovation for Ness.

Gobblin

HR Heisman
Oct 29, 2011
Don't think I've seen it mentioned on here, but seeing Ness default out of that last match was gut wrenching... That said, the arena gave him a tremendous ovation as he was sobbing walking out of the arena.

What's notable is, the Hawkeye fans cheered louder and longer than most of the arena. We thought it was very, very cool.

Very sad way for a career to end for a kid dripping with class and one of my all time favorite non Hawks.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Seeing him crying in the center of the mat was tough. Putting in the work, and not having a chance to chase that championship would suck. He still has a lot to be proud of

I stood and cheered along with all the Iowa fans around me. Later every gopher fan in the place cheered for every Iowa loss. Douche bags.

Probably something similar to McDoungh's. The Gopher faithful didn't give Steel a standing ovations when was beat out. They actually cheered and snickered when he failed to AA.

jrob was interviewed during the Dardanes match this morning and he got choked up when asked about Ness.

Originally posted by Chopper25:
Probably something similar to McDoungh's. The Gopher faithful didn't give Steel a standing ovations when was beat out. They actually cheered and snickered when he failed to AA.
Most of the wrestling world hates Iowa and we're perceived as the devil so I wouldn't expect them to be able to see through that hatred when a Hawk falls like that.

However, most Iowa fans I know are the opposite of that perception and have the ability to see through those rivalries and pay respect to an opponent who deserves it.

That said, I don't see many Iowa fans feeling sorry for Delgado this week.

Originally posted by dtripp26:
Originally posted by Chopper25:
Most of the wrestling world hates Iowa and we're perceived as the devil so I wouldn't expect them to be able to see through that hatred when a Hawk falls like that.

However, most Iowa fans I know are the opposite of that perception and have the ability to see through those rivalries and pay respect to an opponent who deserves it.

That said, I don't see many Iowa fans feeling sorry for Delgado this week.
Iowa Fan's perception of Ness and Delgado are a bit different wouldn't you say? On just about every level you can think of, on the mat and off. Kokesh did a similar "fan tribute" at the end of his match, as did a couple of others I believe (Schopp was one I think).

Originally posted by FineMaterial:
I saw a post that said broken shoulder, not dislocated.
Sure looked like a dislocated shoulder on TV. I suppose there could have been a fracture associated with the injury, but his shoulder looked dislocated to me. It was pretty nasty looking.

Just to add to the appreciation thread, I wanted to add my good wishes for Dylan and say how much I've enjoyed watching him over the years. Very fun kid to watch, and his style was great for the sport. If everyone wrestled like Dylan Ness, college wrestling would be a much stronger and more entertaining sport -- no question about it.

Also, a shout out to any Iowa fans who gave Dylan a standing ovation after his injury. Always good to see Iowa fans taking the high road. Let rival fans jeer the Hawks, boo them, and celebrate when they're down. They're welcome to act the fool -- that's their problem. Always better to take the high road and not stoop to their level.

Originally posted by WWDMHawkeye:
Just to add to the appreciation thread, I wanted to add my good wishes for Dylan and say how much I've enjoyed watching him over the years. Very fun kid to watch, and his style was great for the sport. If everyone wrestled like Dylan Ness, college wrestling would be a much stronger and more entertaining sport -- no question about it.

Also, a shout out to any Iowa fans who gave Dylan a standing ovation after his injury. Always good to see Iowa fans taking the high road. Let rival fans jeer the Hawks, boo them, and celebrate when they're down. They're welcome to act the fool -- that's their problem. Always better to take the high road and not stoop to their level.
A lot of fans from other teams all stood and applauded him. We all applauded a loooong time for him. I remarked to the Oklahoma fan next to me that I couldn't believe I was applauding a Minnesota wrestler. He said you're not applauding for a Minnesota wrestler.....you're applauding for Ness. He was right.
happy0030.r191677.gif

And the difference between Ness and Delgado is that Ness always seemed to be a good classy kid who wrestled with an offensive bent.

Delgado said things about McD that we have not forgiven and when a similar shoulder injury overtook Delgado, I think most of us saw it as Karma catching up with his mouth. Most here don't appreciate Delgado's style of wrestling either. I wish him the best the rest of his life.

Originally posted by Kwoodhawk:

A lot of fans from other teams all stood and applauded him. We all applauded a loooong time for him. I remarked to the Oklahoma fan next to me that I couldn't believe I was applauding a Minnesota wrestler. He said you're not applauding for a Minnesota wrestler.....you're applauding for Ness. He was right.
happy0030.r191677.gif

And the difference between Ness and Delgado is that Ness always seemed to be a good classy kid who wrestled with an offensive bent.

Delgado said things about McD that we have not forgiven and when a similar shoulder injury overtook Delgado, I think most of us saw it as Karma catching up with his mouth. Most here don't appreciate Delgado's style of wrestling either. I wish him the best the rest of his life.

You said it wonderfully and I am not surprised. Sometimes you might rely too heavily on the emoticons, because your words are so powerful.

Originally posted by GG121AND2:

Originally posted by Kwoodhawk:

happy0030.r191677.gif

You said it wonderfully and I am not surprised. Sometimes you might rely too heavily on the emoticons, because your words are so powerful.
Well....check the spelling thread and you might change your mind about me....
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by WEH8ST8HAWK:
I stood and cheered along with all the Iowa fans around me. Later every gopher fan in the place cheered for every Iowa loss. Douche bags.
Not even a little surprised. People like to rip Iowa fans--myself included sometimes--but Minnesota fans are, by and large, mouth breathing cretins.

Originally posted by SPOONER:

Originally posted by WEH8ST8HAWK:

Not even a little surprised. People like to rip Iowa fans--myself included sometimes--but Minnesota fans are, by and large, mouth breathing cretins.
Its just not in wrestling either. Its all sports.

Is that what that Standing O was for? Hmmm..,I thought it was a Gable sighting so I stood up and clapped vigorously ;)

The Iowa wrestlers could cure Ebola, aids and 5 other diseases, save a boatload of puppies and kittens, start an orphanage, eliminate world hunger and repair Dylan Ness's shoulder and some idiot would start a poll on the Guillotine hating on the Ia wrestlers. I live in MN and follow wrestling really closely and can't even stomach the college postings there anymore. The second they realized MN wasn't even going to compete this year it turned into anti-Iowa all the time. They really need to grow up and appreciate wrestling and quit their analyzing of wrestlers personalities.

Especially sad when you consider that Ness would not have been in the situation that caused the shoulder injury if the Miller-Realbuto match scoring mistake had been caught or corrected.

Could have been fighting for a NC instead of suffering the pain of not getting the chance.

x2!! While I will always cheer for the Hawks, I love to see good wrestling, even from other teams and Ness was never boring. If even 80% of the D1 competitors wrestled the way he did the sport would be far better off. Congrats to an excellent career Mr. Ness!! It is heartbreaking to see a top senior not be able to finish his career in a proper manner due to injury, no matter what team they are on. D1 wrestling is just TOUGH that way.

Especially sad when you consider that Ness would not have been in the situation that caused the shoulder injury if the Miller-Realbuto match scoring mistake had been caught or corrected.

Could have been fighting for a NC instead of suffering the pain of not getting the chance.

I had the unfournate pleasure of buying tickets off a buddy this past weekend. We were surrounded by MN fans at 317. I couldn't bring myself to cheer for Ness after watching and having to listen to these douch bags for 3days. After Kelly lost the 2nd time you'd have thought he was a criminal. Not just from the young people but also seniors.

I have never openly rooted for or against opposing wrestlers against other non iowa teams in my 7 nationals tournaments. This went out the window by Friday night because of MN fans. WOW is all my wife could say. We have been to 6 duals in MN the hate was never this bad. As she said "you'd expect a little of this at a dual but not at tournament" Maybe it's all the internet/boards/forums driving the issues. It's getting ridiculous and out of hand. Not sure I would want to exposes my son or daughter to Nationals after this weekend. The profanity and vulgar display of humanity is best viewed by adults

This post was edited on 3/23 1:41 AM by Jaybird319

Nothing against Ness I loved the way he went about wrestling and how he enjoyed himself. His brother is another story, Hodge winner my a**

I was really hoping that a healthy Ness and Martinez battle for athe NC. Seems like Ness just battled some injuries/illness throughout the season. Unfortunate as he seems like such a great kid, much like his brother. Very entertaining wrestler to watch and I wish him the best in his future.

Check out an emotional interview from Ness. He will be missed.

I get the impression this thread was started to applaud a fierce competitor and not to ridicule fan bases or others. Since it is off topic I will respond, even though it will probably have little effect. Not all MN fans are douche bags or bad people, same with all fan bases. National tournament gets intense and an opposing teams wrestler losing is a good thing for your team if you are in the team race(which in hindsight , we ended up not being). It is fairly common for plenty of different fan bases to applaud losses. Right or wrong, it happens.

McD losing was a unique situation for a lot of MN fans. He is someone that always prevented our guy Sanders from accomplishing his goal, so I am sure there were some who took pleasure in witnessing his defeat. Also he was against NDSU's Sprenkle. Sprenkle became Kish's first ever all American with that win. A lot of the MN fans are also fans of NDSU due to the close ties. I had a similar response to both McD and Delgado. I respected tier efforts and thought it was unfortunate for their careers to end like this. I gave both wrestlers a standing applause. Both deserved to be 4x AA, but unfortunately injuries prevented so. Delgado would have been Illinois first 4xAA I believe.

Ness Interview

JRob shared a story at the Gopher social. When he was in the stands, a Gopher fan asked him if Dylan was going to wrestle? JRob stated that they didn't know yet and the fan said he hoped Dylan came out so that the fans could say goodbye. That conversation is what urged JRob to have Ness take the mat and because of that everyone in attendance got to experience a special moment.

"Gut-wrenching" is the perfect way to put it Gobblin. Dylan was an outstanding wrestler and extremely fun to watch. In fact, I said numerous times that he was my favorite wrestler to watch this year. This sport obviously means a lot to him (and all of these competitors) and it is difficult to see injuries take it away from them.

In regards to Jesse Delgado, I undertand the feelings of some on here about Jesse due to things he said and his style of wrestling. But I felt bad for him as well for the same reasons as Ness and McDonough. As a fan I just hate to see those college careers end the way they did, but I guess that is the sport.

That was sad seeing Ness out like that. Was classy of all the fans to give that sort of ovation. True wrestling fans can look at the wrestler and not the where he wrestles. I love seeing high quality aggressive and high scoring wrestling. The future is bright with a lot of talent coming up. As a gopher fan I appreciate any wrestling forum. This board is fun to read through with some very informed and sometimes over the top discussions.

Originally posted by grappler6:
JRob shared a story at the Gopher social. When he was in the stands, a Gopher fan asked him if Dylan was going to wrestle? JRob stated that they didn't know yet and the fan said he hoped Dylan came out so that the fans could say goodbye. That conversation is what urged JRob to have Ness take the mat and because of that everyone in attendance got to experience a special moment.
Thanks for sharing.....nice story. Glad he got his moment. It felt good to be there and experience it.

ADVERTISEMENT