ADVERTISEMENT

Owen Freeman (3* 2023 Center) & TJ Power (4* 2023 PF) Officially Visiting This Weekend. Cooper Koch&Caleb Middleton (2024 PFs)& Dasonte Bowen as Well.

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Iowa offered 2023 Center Owen Freeman on June 1, 2021.

He has 13 offers so far:

Iowa
Ohio State
Purdue
Michigan State
Indiana
Illinois
Wisconsin
Notre Dame
Northwestern
Butler
Marquette
Wake Forest
Western Illinois

Iowa offered 2023 PF T.J. Power on Aug 27, 2020.

According to Rivals, Iowa is the first school he will visit.

Iona has offered, so, yep, we are screwed (no pun intended).

He has 14 offers so far:
IOWA
IONA
UConn
Oklahoma
Miami FL
South Carolina
Penn State
Creighton
Georgia Tech
Marquette
Boston College
Providence
UMass
Bryant

Last edited:
Here are Owen Freeman Highlights.

As you can see, he runs the floor very well, using both the right & left hands. Very athletic. Drives to the basket very well. Rim protector. Crafty around the basket. He also shows he can hit the midrange & 3 pointer. He is not afraid to dunk the basketball.

Watch:

I see a bit of Aaron White in TJ Power.

Good handle, drives to the basket with either hand, can hit the 3.

He's quite comfortable with his right and left hand.

Nice pull up jumper.

He runs the floor well; perfect for Fran's system.

He's also a rim protector.

A lot to like.

Watch #33 here:

Last edited:
Reactions: NoSwampDonkeys
The TWO 2024 Visitors:

(1) Cooper Koch

Tom Kakert forecasted Cooper to Iowa on June 25, 2021.

Current Offers:
IOWA
Illinois
Wisconsin
Indiana
Purdue
Bradley

(2) Caleb Middleton

Current Offers:
IOWA
Bryant
DePaul
Florida International
Siena

Last edited:
Does it seem Iowa recruits more white players than most schools do? I wonder why? Is it because white players are more open to be recruited by Iowa than black players are? Any ideas?

Sidenote- I ran into Joe T at Hy-Vee and chatted with him a bit the other day. We have some mutual acquaintances out east. He couldn’t have been a nicer guy. I’m looking forward to see his progression this year. On TV, Joe looks short and thick. In person, he looks trim and above average in height. It’s all relative, I suppose.

Reactions: BBHawk
This is something I look for in a basketball recruit
One of the first skills I look for in a C/PF prospect is shot blocking ability. I may be in the minority on this, but I don't view dunking as a skill per se. It is the by-product, so to speak, of a more basic skill or talent, namely: verticle jumping ability. Shot blocking is derived from that same basic skill or talent but also involves quickness and timing; Every big man in major college BB can dunk, few are good shot blockers.

Don't get me wrong, I love to watch dunks......especially the smaller guys on a breakaway or a contested power dunk. But to me, a good swat at the basket ala Alajuwon beats a dunk every time.

Does it seem Iowa recruits more white players than most schools do? I wonder why? Is it because white players are more open to be recruited by Iowa than black players are? Any ideas?

Sidenote- I ran into Joe T at Hy-Vee and chatted with him a bit the other day. We have some mutual acquaintances out east. He couldn’t have been a nicer guy. I’m looking forward to see his progression this year. On TV, Joe looks short and thick. In person, he looks trim and above average in height. It’s all relative, I suppose.
I hate to say it, but after scrolling through the OP that was the first thought that popped into my head as well. I highly doubt Fran (not the poster, the coach) is purposely seeking out any player based on race, but you’re right it is odd. Obviously, in Iowa, you’re pretty limited in terms of racial demographics, but all the mentioned offers in the OP are all out of state kids (one of which obviously being the son of a former Hawkeye).

Regardless, you’re not alone in thinking that. No, I don’t think there’s a deliberate reason why, but I would love to get @Roy L Fuchs take on it. What say you, Outrage Roy? 😉

Reactions: SI_NYC
One of the first skills I look for in a C/PF prospect is shot blocking ability. I may be in the minority on this, but I don't view dunking as a skill per se. It is the by-product, so to speak, of a more basic skill or talent, namely: verticle jumping ability. Shot blocking is derived from that same basic skill or talent but also involves quickness and timing; Every big man in major college BB can dunk, few are good shot blockers.

Don't get me wrong, I love to watch dunks......especially the smaller guys on a breakaway or a contested power dunk. But to me, a good swat at the basket ala Alajuwon beats a dunk every time.
On dunks....one of my favorite highlight clips on Josh Dix is the one where he drives the middle and throws down in traffic over defenders. Not just the dunk...but in traffic and OVER defenders with power. That was impressive as hell. It shows not just the athleticism to dunk, but the strength to dunk in traffic, AND the mental aggressiveness to do it.

On dunks....one of my favorite highlight clips on Josh Dix is the one where he drives the middle and throws down in traffic over defenders. Not just the dunk...but in traffic and OVER defenders with power. That was impressive as hell. It shows not just the athleticism to dunk, but the strength to dunk in traffic, AND the mental aggressiveness to do it.
That's what I'm talking about. Impressive. Back when I was a lad in the eary 80s, I attended a Hawkeye exhibition game. One play that still stands out was a midcourt steal by Steve Carfino.

Carfino broke away for a layup basket but there was an opponent running at him from across the other side of the court. When he got about halfway down the lane he exploded and jammed it down with two hands just as the other player leaped to try and block it. The gym EXPLODED. Carfino was a small guard. I don't think anyone saw that coming. The other team called a TO, Hawkeye players smothered Carfino. Will never forget that play.

With 3 scholarships available for 2023, I was excited to see we had TWO 2023 and TWO 2024 prospects visiting. I never once considered the race of these 4 kids; I was more interested in how they were rated, who else had offered, their highlight videos, and more.

I thought others on here would be excited as well.

Guess not.

Reactions: HIWILLE
With 3 scholarships available for 2023, I was excited to see we had TWO 2023 and TWO 2024 prospects visiting. I never once considered the race of these 4 kids; I was more interested in how they were rated, who else had offered, their highlight videos, and more.

I thought others on here would be excited as well.

Guess not.
I’m not asking to create controversy. I honestly am curious. I appreciate your posts, Fran.

Reactions: hawkosx
You insinuated that Iowa coaches deliberately prefer white basketball players. In so doing, you introduced race as a factor as to whether of not a prospect is offered a basketball scholarship at the University of Iowa. Sorry if you expected a slap on the back for that.
I’m just curious, as I find it odd. I don’t think Fran has a racist bone in his body, btw. To your point, I probably should have worded my question differently. My bad.

I’m just curious, as I find it odd. I don’t think Fran has a racist bone in his body, btw. To your point, I probably should have worded my question differently. My bad.
I appreciate your explanation. Your intent was not apparent when I read your post. In retrospect, my reply was probably to quick and personal. Glad to clear that up.

I hate to say it, but after scrolling through the OP that was the first thought that popped into my head as well. I highly doubt Fran (not the poster, the coach) is purposely seeking out any player based on race, but you’re right it is odd. Obviously, in Iowa, you’re pretty limited in terms of racial demographics, but all the mentioned offers in the OP are all out of state kids (one of which obviously being the son of a former Hawkeye).

Regardless, you’re not alone in thinking that. No, I don’t think there’s a deliberate reason why, but I would love to get @Roy L Fuchs take on it. What say you, Outrage Roy? 😉

Pretty sure it’s simply an indirect result of Fran valuing skill more than most coaches and raw athleticism slightly less. He relies on mixing defenses and zones to somewhat cover up this gap on defense while on offense his ability to use highly skilled players and create very efficient offense is a clear strength.

Fran wants long, lean players with plus wingspan and highly skilled and will trade off athleticism. In HS many highly athletic players rely too much on athleticism and are behind on skill at that age, and anyone highly skilled and athletic goes blue blood so schools like Iowa have to trade off one for another and thus Frans formula does end up with more Caucasian’s especially at SF, PF and C. He has accepted less skilled , more athletic guys like Joe T and Perkins recently and so has made some adjustments imo.

Legacy Murray boys happen to be both.

Reactions: SI_NYC
FWIW, our class two years ago had five black players. This class has one.

I wish people would stop saying white or black. These young men are student athletes. I have friends from around the world, to me, they are all people of the human race. Until we stop looking at skin color or geography, we won't coexist.

Oh, for what it's worth, I'm a conservative.

FWIW, our class two years ago had five black players. This class has one.

I wish people would stop saying white or black. These young men are student athletes. I have friends from around the world, to me, they are all people of the human race. Until we stop looking at skin color or geography, we won't coexist.

Oh, for what it's worth, I'm a conservative.
When you start 5 white dudes and have #EQUALITY on the back of your jersey.
That was Iowa in 2020-21 until Nunge went down. And 6 of the top 8 were white.

I'm jussayin'

Reactions: CO_hawk
You insinuated that Iowa coaches deliberately prefer white basketball players. In so doing, you introduced race as a factor as to whether of not a prospect is offered a basketball scholarship at the University of Iowa. Sorry if you expected a slap on the back for that.

I don't think he insinuated anything. It looked like he was asking a legitimate question.

I think it's pretty obvious Fran targets good players, regardless of color. But yeah, Iowa's team tend to be whiter than many once they all show up. I don't think it's intentional, though.

I just want really good players to go there and make up a good team, I don't care what they look like.

We've all seen Franisdaman's lists. McCaffery pursues as many black kids as he does white kids. He can only sign the kids that want to be part of the program, no matter what race they may be.

Recruiting is more than identifying talented prospects. There has to be some mutual interest or it doesn't pay to pursue them. I think that Fran pursues the players who have indicated they are amenable to considering the Hawkeyes. I don't believe race plays any role whatsoever.

Makes sense. 99% of the top 100 players each year are black, so let’s go recruit a bunch of white guys! Building a team primarily on 3* white guys hasn’t been successful since the first black guy was given a scholarship. It’s a ridiculous strategy that will guarantee mediocre to poor results. Now, if a swim meet breaks out during a game, we’d have a chance to win that! This program is destined to remain the shit show it has been for 30+ years.
A shit show? Admittedly we haven't had the best of times in the NCAA tournament, but we aren't exactly sucking hind teat in the conference every year. Your every post displays an extremely negative attitude. Maybe if Iowa basketball makes you so unhappy, you should just become a frontrunner fan of one of the cheating blue bloods who win at any cost. You deserve to be happy.

A shit show? Admittedly we haven't had the best of times in the NCAA tournament, but we aren't exactly sucking hind teat in the conference every year. Your every post displays an extremely negative attitude. Maybe if Iowa basketball makes you so unhappy, you should just become a frontrunner fan of one of the cheating blue bloods who win at any cost. You deserve to be happy.

:)

200.gif

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
Makes sense. 99% of the top 100 players each year are black, so let’s go recruit a bunch of white guys! Building a team primarily on 3* white guys hasn’t been successful since the first black guy was given a scholarship. It’s a ridiculous strategy that will guarantee mediocre to poor results. Now, if a swim meet breaks out during a game, we’d have a chance to win that! This program is destined to remain the shit show it has been for 30+ years.
Ol' Roy and his clown show
200.gif

When you start 5 white dudes and have #EQUALITY on the back of your jersey.
That was Iowa in 2020-21 until Nunge went down. And 6 of the top 8 were white.

I'm jussayin'
You take the best players you can get who want to part of the program. If those who want to commit are mostly white, so be it. It's not as if Fran doesn't offer black kids. And also, you don't turn down commitments from white players to "wait and see" if you can fill the spot with a black player to mimic Affirmative Action. This isn't complicated stuff unless you have a "race card" agenda, which apparently you do.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT