ADVERTISEMENT

Owen Freeman Highlights & Updates (2023 Commit). His Nickname is "The Big O."

Moved Owen down to eighth behind Tyler Smith, Adam Woodbury, Joe Wieskamp, Tyler Cook, Patrick McCaffery, Mike Gesell and Matt Gatens.

The Big O is having himself another nice weekend.

And check out the shoes.

FRD3vfHX0AIu5Yh

I said this above. Owen opened a lot of eyes and dropped a lot of jaws this weekend.

Thankfully Fran is known as "the closer" in recruiting because how else would you explain Fran beating out Illinois (home state school), Purdue, Michigan State, Ohio State, Indiana, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Northwestern (home state school), Marquette, Butler, and Wake Forest for Owen?

In the video that follows, note that the PG is Brock Harding (#2), who Iowa is keeping an eye on but has not yet offered.

Oh, and check out Owen's shoes.

Check this out & watch:

Love we have Freeman, like the feeds from Brock Harding too . He in the clips seems to get the ball in the hands where Owen can do something with it. My concern with Brock getting a schollie is on the defensive end. In the B1G he’ll get posted up often. But don’t think it would be much worse than JoeT or JBo. I generally like bigger guards in the 6’3” to 6’5”. Oh like Bowen and Dix . Time will tell but Brock seems like he could be quite productive on the offensive end.

Reactions: perryhawk
Love we have Freeman, like the feeds from Brock Harding too . He in the clips seems to get the ball in the hands where Owen can do something with it. My concern with Brock getting a schollie is on the defensive end. In the B1G he’ll get posted up often. But don’t think it would be much worse than JoeT or JBo. I generally like bigger guards in the 6’3” to 6’5”. Oh like Bowen and Dix . Time will tell but Brock seems like he could be quite productive on the offensive end.
Can you imagine the bitching, though? He could average 8 assists/game and some would just bitch about his lack of size, defense, etc. He's smaller and lighter than Jordan. The pissing and moaning would be endless. You know the types...

Owen did a lot of dunking this weekend.

In the video that follows, note that the PG is Brock Harding (#2), who Iowa is keeping an eye on but has not yet offered.

Reactions: perryhawk
Are Kansas, Duke, NCarolina, Kentucky, orGonzaga on his list ?

Are Kansas, Duke, NCarolina, Kentucky, orGonzaga on his list ?
MI State, IN, Purdue, Wisconsin, etc. He had a lot of interest from many schools.

If you're trying to insinuate that he's not worthy of an offer from the above schools, you're on the wrong board.

This is a nice story regarding last weekend's AAU action. The link to the story is in the tweet.

There is a reason why a post-centric program like Iowa wanted to lock him up early for a commitment. Freeman is a prototypical Big Ten problem in the paint and each and every game he proves that point. He’s gotten bigger, stronger and even more productive at his position. Throughout the Grassroots Showcase, Freeman was too tough to contain around the rim in every category. Because his team is so good in the halfcourt as an offense, he was in a constant position to produce. Freeman owned the stage during the last NCAA Live Period of the spring.

Watching Freeman this year and Bowman last year, it seems like Iowa's recruiting is getting better. Not that the kids brought in previously are slouches by any means, but the way this staff has got in early on talent every year is really paying off.

Last edited:
Reactions: bowlhawk
It's a lot to put on this young man's shoulders, but he is starting to sound like the second coming of Luka.

Another quote:Iowa Head Coach Fran McCaffery was in attendance to see MidPro Elite's Owen Freeman, a Iowa commitment, over the weekend and the big man didn't disappoint. He was a big presence down low for MidPro and showed that he has the game for the Big 10. Freeman has the skillset and the post moves already but what was impressive to me was his ability to stretch the floor with his shooting ability from outside. He is a guy that can play the four-spot at the Big 10 level and should have some momentum to make an impact when he arrives on campus.

Last edited:
He looks to have athleticism more in the Kriener range than the Luka range, and that is a good thing. Looks like he gets up quickly on his dunks without a ton of effort.
I would even put him in a different category still......first, I don't see him as being as much of a post player as Luka and he appears to me to be more athletic than Ryan K was........I would say that he is more of a legit PF with good height, decent athleticism, and improving strength. It seems like in these recent videos that he has really started to play stronger....asserting himself down low and playing through contact and dunking. Very impressed with this kid.

I would even put him in a different category still......first, I don't see him as being as much of a post player as Luka and he appears to me to be more athletic than Ryan K was........I would say that he is more of a legit PF with good height, decent athleticism, and improving strength. It seems like in these recent videos that he has really started to play stronger....asserting himself down low and playing through contact and dunking. Very impressed with this kid.
Yes, and imagine what level he can attain if he attacked the weight room and gets more explosion out of his lower half.
Excited about his future at Iowa.

Yes, and imagine what level he can attain if he attacked the weight room and gets more explosion out of his lower half.
Excited about his future at Iowa.
100% agreement. That's one of the many interesting things in recruiting and applies to this kid. First, how much will he grow naturally? Some people continue to get taller and stronger between their junior and senior year of HS....some have already peaked out. In addition to that natural growth, as you said, how hard does he hit the weight room and what does he work on the most?

Reactions: Ronman
Go back and watch some games from a few years go. Kriener dunked more than you might remember for a guy that got limited minutes. And a lot of them were quick two handed dunks. Nothing flashy, but consistent. That's what this highlight video showed. When he got next to the rim Freeman flushed it with two hands quickly and seemingly effortlessly.

Luka, as great as he was, struggled to dunk the ball without a running head start and made up for it with savviness and skill in his game. My comment was talking purely about athleticism. This kid doesn't look like a statue. But he also isn't Tyler Cook. He's somewhere in the middle ground and that is perfectly fine for a 6'10" big man.

Go back and watch some games from a few years go. Kriener dunked more than you might remember for a guy that got limited minutes. And a lot of them were quick two handed dunks. Nothing flashy, but consistent. That's what this highlight video showed. When he got next to the rim Freeman flushed it with two hands quickly and seemingly effortlessly.

Luka, as great as he was, struggled to dunk the ball without a running head start and made up for it with savviness and skill in his game. My comment was talking purely about athleticism. This kid doesn't look like a statue. But he also isn't Tyler Cook. He's somewhere in the middle ground and that is perfectly fine for a 6'10" big man.
Freeman is already way beyond where Kreiner was in HS. He's very athletic and quick, quicker than either Luka or Kreiner was at that point. Not even close.

ADVERTISEMENT