ADVERTISEMENT

Owen Freeman Highlights & Updates (2023 Commit). His Nickname is "The Big O."

The problem with that scenario is that Moline has been lumped in Illinois highest class of basketball because of school enrollment. Being the only class 6 team in the area close to the Quad Cities, Moline is always shuffled to either the talent rich Chicago suburbs, the Peoria area, or Southern Illinois. Not very favorable for advancing to the State finals with a team that hasn't had a talented big man since the late 80's. Moline had one of the best teams it has had in years last year but suffered from the lack of height.
One bright spot is that Moline does return a number of players that logged a ton of minutes last year and if the rumors are indeed true that Owen is transferring to Moline it will be indeed raise the bar and elevate Moline to contender status. Fun to watch but Moline's highest finish in the State tournament was 2nd place back in 1952 and hasn't been back there in the elite eight since 1965 with the great Steve Kuberski, unless someone else can update my memory....
Long odds to overcome!

Moline, with Brock Harding & Owen Freeman, is going to be fun for you to watch this season

Reactions: perryhawk
Moline, with Brock Harding & Owen Freeman, is going to be fun for you to watch this season
Yeah, considering it's free for me to attend Moline home games, it seems that this coming year is the year to find time to attend most all of those games.
I know what Brock brings to the table, just haven't seen Owen play yet.
As I've said before, Moline hasn't advanced past the Quarterfinals since the 50's and hasn't reached the elite eight since 1965.
Rock Island won the Class 3 championship in 2011 with Chasson Randle as the only team to ever win a Illinois basketball championship from the Illinois Quad-Cities area. It would be nice to see Moline with a chance to join Rock Island's impressive accomplishment, even if it's in a different class of 4A.
I was incorrect in my previous post saying Moline was in class 6A. In basketball Moline is in 4A and is in 6A in football.
And in reading the article from the other Owen Freeman thread, it appears Moline gets Owens younger brother Braden who will be a 6-4 sophomore point guard....double the pressure!

Last edited:
Yeah, considering it's free for me to attend Moline home games, it seems that this coming year is the year to find time to attend most all of those games.
I know what Brock brings to the table, just haven't seen Owen play yet.
As I've said before, Moline hasn't advanced past the Quarterfinals since the 50's and hasn't reached the elite eight since 1965.
Rock Island won the Class 3 championship in 2011 with Chasson Randle as the only team to ever win a Illinois basketball championship from the Illinois Quad-Cities area. It would be nice to see Moline with a chance to join Rock Island's impressive accomplishment, even if it's in a different class of 4A.
I was incorrect in my previous post saying Moline was in class 6A. In basketball Moline is in 4A and is in 6A in football.
And in reading the article from the other Owen Freeman thread, it appears Moline gets Owens younger brother Braden who will be a 6-4 sophomore point guard....double the pressure!

Thanks for the history lesson; should be a fun year for the....what's Moline's nickname? ;)

Braden Freeman will be a sophomore; apparently he is 6'5" and a good player as well

You will have to scout Brock, Owen & Braden for us & let us know what you think.

I am interested to see what happens with Brock; will he get a high major offer? Will one come from Iowa? I know Owen loves playing with him in AAU and now they get a year of high school together.

Thanks for the history lesson; should be a fun year for the....what's Moline's nickname? ;)

Braden Freeman will be a sophomore; apparently he is 6'5" and a good player as well

You will have to scout Brock, Owen & Braden for us & let us know what you think.

I am interested to see what happens with Brock; will he get a high major offer? Will one come from Iowa? I know Owen loves playing with him in AAU and now they get a year of high school together.
The team name for Moline is the "Maroons" and anyone who has graduated from Moline, probably still doesn't know what a Maroon is, I don't! :rolleyes:

The discussion on the free board of Owen transferring to Moline started on May 13. However, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe yesterday (May 27) was the first time Owen and his dad publicly confirmed that the transfer was indeed happening.
Yes. May 10th and then a subscriber decided to post it here like it was his own information on that 13th.

Anyway, the news was broke on May 10th. Amusing it was 'breaking" news late this week.

Reactions: YTHawknBlls
Sorry to go a little off topic but here is the meaning: https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...sVGKYBXX3h_POMoiTag3FLdnEstRPdrrQ&oe=62B7D670

from a '71 Maroon.
That was quite interesting, that's for the info from a '67 Moline graduate. That explains why they adopted the nickname, it is what it is, and as the words of the school song goes "We are Moliners, we're from Moline, we are the finest you've ever seen.....rah, rah, rah, rah......". Pretty corny I know....enough of this dribble.

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
Yes. May 10th and then a subscriber decided to post it here like it was his own information on that 13th.

Anyway, the news was broke on May 10th. Amusing it was 'breaking" news late this week.
Come on, Tom. What difference does it really make?

Come on, Tom. What difference does it really make?
Not Tom, but it is irritating that the poster in question has to try to one-up everyone. That poster also acts like they run the site and are the sole source for any info posted, to such a degree that they post dup posts then repeatedly post over and over again to keep their posts on top. That's sick, so I actually feel some compassion for them because of their mental illness. But I don't like it.

Hey, he's a legacy. He has to be a Hawkeye! What a kick to the nads it would be for him to sign with another B1G team, especially the vermin up North.

yeah, there are definite advantages to subscribing to the Lounge.

And you are right; when Owen & his dad announced that he was transferring on May 27, most who were congratulating them had no idea that this had been a done deal in early May

• Haha
Reactions: topherchris20
Difference? None. Just like accuracy in reporting.

It does make a difference when said person is attempting to steal others information and reporting it as his scoop. It’s not just a one off. The person involved is repeatedly trying to act like he’s a mod on this board and wants to control the environment. As I’ve said before, he might have a mental disorder but that doesn’t change the fact he’s an @$$.

Reactions: kceasthawk
It does make a difference when said person is attempting to steal others information and reporting it as his scoop. It’s not just a one off. The person involved is repeatedly trying to act like he’s a mod on this board and wants to control the environment. As I’ve said before, he might have a mental disorder but that doesn’t change the fact he’s an @$$.

I don't think the person from the Lounge was attempting to steal @TomKakert 's scoop when he posted here, on May 13, that Owen was likely heading to Moline High School. I think that person simply made a mistake.

Ironic that you, of all people, would think he or anyone would therefore have a mental disorder.

And ironic, too, that you are saying that he or anyone else is an ass. If you want to find an ass, just look back at your posting history and simply look in the mirror.

Owen plays on a very good AAU team.

In the video that follows, Owen is #32, of course. #2 is Brock Harding, who Iowa is watching, but has not offered.

#22, Ty Pence, is not bad, either. Rivals reports him having offers from Illinois (he's unofficially visited twice), Iowa State (he's unofficially visited once) and Western Illinois.

Check this out & watch:

Pence is a midmajor plus recruit right now. He lives 8 miles from Illinois campus so he has been there lots more than twice. Illinois is not pursuing him very hard. My guess is that he goes to Loyola.

Reactions: GrayhoundHawk
Pence is a midmajor plus recruit right now. He lives 8 miles from Illinois campus so he has been there lots more than twice. Illinois is not pursuing him very hard. My guess is that he goes to Loyola.

Interesting. Thanks. Loyola-Chicago is a good program, has made a recent Final Four, and Chicago is a fun city.

What are your thoughts on Brock Harding? Do you think a high major finally pulls the trigger & offers?

@JEDN @Farleyhawk @Ronman @perryhawk

I appreciate the kind feedback. None of us have time for the nonsense that goes on by anonymous posters in other threads.

Hopefully you saw the highlight videos of Owen that I posted in the previous post.

As you know, Owen is going to team up with Brock Harding in Moline for their senior season.

Here are some highlights of Brock from last weekend, where Owen is often the beneficiary of his assists.

Future teammates Owen Freeman & Brock Harding are helping out with basketball camps at Moline High School.

These are from yesterday, after their first week of camp. Great opportunity for area kids.

FUXgMZWWAAEQejy

FUXgMcwXsAE2iYo

I’m trying not to like him, I suppose it really depends on the level of competition, same with Freeman. But Harding really looks like a D1 basketball player

Koch focusing on Iowa, Wisconsin, Purdue.

edit: sorry, I meant for this to be in a 2024 thread. Same info, though.

Koch has loved the game day atmospheres at both Wisconsin & Purdue. He was part of the court storming in Madison when Wisconsin clinched the reg season B1G Championship. Iowa, obviously, has an issue with fans showing up (especially, the students). I hope this does not end up being a big issue to him.

Nice story from a couple days ago from the Chicago Sun Times.

Some excerpts:

City/Suburban Hoops Report: Owen Freeman transfers​

By Joe Henricksen
June 6, 2022

Last week’s announcement that 6-9 Owen Freeman would be transferring from Bradley-Bourbonnais to Moline has turned a very good team into a legit 2022-23 state title contender in Class 4A.

Following a regional championship season, Moline was expected to be one of the better teams in Illinois next year with the return of standout point guard Brock Harding. But the addition of Freeman, who has committed to Iowa, gives the Maroons a shot at a state trophy for the first time in over 70 years.

Moline last won a sectional championship in 2004.

The Harding-Freeman tandem will be a fun and dynamic one to watch. Both are among the City/Suburban Hoops Report’s top six senior prospects in the state.

Harding is an elite point guard and coveted mid-major prospect who makes those around him better. Freeman is an athletic, rim-running big man who continues to develop offensively, both facing up from the perimeter and around the basket.

Senior Grant Welch is a productive 6-3 wing and small college prospect, while Trey Taylor should take a big step forward as a sophomore.

Last edited:
I’m trying not to like him, I suppose it really depends on the level of competition, same with Freeman. But Harding really looks like a D1 basketball player

I think that Dasonte and Brock Harding could make an interesting 1-2 punch for the Hawks. Owen has indicated numerous times how much he enjoys playing with Brock.

Brock, however, still has no high major offers.

Reactions: perryhawk
I will be vary disappointed if Fran doesn't pull the trigger in giving Brock Harding a scholarship offer. A unique talent that doesn't come along very often and is now a close teammate of 2023 recruit Owen Freeman.
Unless Brock has informed Fran that he has no interest in coming to Iowa either on a scholarship or as a preferred walk-on, offering a scholarship to a extremely talented player that lives less then an hour away from Carver Arena is a no brainer.
With 3 scholarships still to give out, a special player like Brock would be a tremendous asset to Iowa basketball despite his lack of height. The kids a winner and Iowa could use all the talented players within shouting distance of the University of Iowa they can get their hands on.

I will be vary disappointed if Fran doesn't pull the trigger in giving Brock Harding a scholarship offer. A unique talent that doesn't come along very often and is now a close teammate of 2023 recruit Owen Freeman.
Unless Brock has informed Fran that he has no interest in coming to Iowa either on a scholarship or as a preferred walk-on, offering a scholarship to a extremely talented player that lives less then an hour away from Carver Arena is a no brainer.
With 3 scholarships still to give out, a special player like Brock would be a tremendous asset to Iowa basketball despite his lack of height. The kids a winner and Iowa could use all the talented players within shouting distance of the University of Iowa they can get their hands on.
I think they'll eventually get there as well. Iowa's in on some really high level recruits at the moment and PG doesn't seem to be a something the staff is feeling is a need based on their other offers. If you look at who Iowa's perceived to be pushing for the most for it's guys with size and shooters. Ulis still has 3 years of eligibility and obviously Bowen has his 4 years--I just feel like they think they're set at that position at the moment so they're looking to fill other spots first. But like I said, I think they'll eventually get there unless they really pull off some huge wins. If Brock moves on due to Iowa slow playing him, I totally get it. However, teaming up with Freeman certainly helps our cause there.

Think Iowa has a bunch of buckets of offers out to guys that are very similar play styles and athletes:
  • Athletic, modern 4's who can shoot: TJ Power, Taylor Bowen, Carey Booth, JQ Roberts (still needs to improve shooting)
  • Centers, mostly modern who can step out and shoot 3's: JP Estrella, Boden Kapke, Xavier Booker
  • 3 point shooting wings: Pryce Sandfort, Jamie Kaiser, Asa Thomas
I think ideally Iowa would like to get Pryce, a center, and think they could take multiple of that first bucket since all of those guys can play multiple positions. We'll see if they can get it done.

Any idea how tall his parents and family members are?

ADVERTISEMENT