ADVERTISEMENT

Owen Freeman Highlights & Updates (2023 Commit). His Nickname is "The Big O."

I think people are associating Brock's height with that of Jordan Bohannan's. Two different players one that accomplish a lot with minimal athletic ability over 6 years and was roasted his entire time at Iowa for his lack of height and quickness one that very quick and is super athletic.
If Iowa does offer Brock a scholarship he may not get the points or assisted that Jordan had over his career but the kid knows how to make his teammates better and can also do things on the court that Jordan only dreamed of.
Brock is that good, a much better offensive player and just as good as a defensive player then the point guard that skipped town to play at West Virginia.

I think people are associating Brock's height with that of Jordan Bohannan's. Two different players one that accomplish a lot with minimal athletic ability over 6 years and was roasted his entire time at Iowa for his lack of height and quickness one that very quick and is super athletic.
If Iowa does offer Brock a scholarship he may not get the points or assisted that Jordan had over his career but the kid knows how to make his teammates better and can also do things on the court that Jordan only dreamed of.
Brock is that good, a much better offensive player and just as good as a defensive player then the point guard that skipped town to play at West Virginia.
I need to see this kid play. Not seeing all that in the highlight videos.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Hard to believe he’s as good as Joe defensively. If he is, sign me up. Otherwise. He sounds like he has an interesting skill set and might make a good change of pace pg. I’m intrigued. I trust Fran, he rarely completely misses.

Reactions: perryhawk
We've done quick and athletic at PG. See Joe Toussaint, and Trey Dickerson. That doesn't make the offer a no-brainer. I'd have no problem with a Harding offer, but there's probably a reason the Power 6 offers aren't rolling in yet.

We've done quick and athletic at PG. See Joe Toussaint, and Trey Dickerson. That doesn't make the offer a no-brainer. I'd have no problem with a Harding offer, but there's probably a reason the Power 6 offers aren't rolling in yet.
Yeah right....while Fran goes after unattainable players that have zero interest in Iowa except to string Iowa's coaching staff along, Iowa has a rock star in it's own back yard and sits idlily by afraid to offer a scholarship to this young man for fear of being chastised by it's fanbase for doing the right thing.
Keep downplaying Brock's talent as an excuse to move on.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: topherchris20
Yeah right....while Fran goes after unattainable players that have zero interest in Iowa except to string Iowa's coaching staff along, Iowa has a rock star in it's own back yard and sits idlily by afraid to offer a scholarship to this young man for fear of being chastised by it's fanbase for doing the right thing.
What's the reason for everyone else not offering?

Reactions: paladinhawk
I need to see this kid play. Not seeing all that in the highlight videos.
There is about a 4 min video from some tournament that looks very impressive. It's He consistently beats 0 in red off the dribble and has excellent court vision.

Recognizing, of course, the limitations imposed by a 4 min video from one tournament.

So you would have McCaffery ignore the high rated, talented players around the country and just try to compete with homegrown 3-star talent that no one else seems to want? I'm not knocking the young man, but you are proposing a recruiting agenda that will surely have us in the basement of the B1G most seasons.

Reactions: topherchris20
Iowa has a rock star in it's own back yard and sits idlily by afraid to offer a scholarship to this young man for fear of being chastised by it's fanbase for doing the right thing.
Seriously? Fran giving the twins scholarships should prove to you that he doesn't give a rat's ass about what the fanbase thinks when it comes to giving out offers.

I will be vary disappointed if Fran doesn't pull the trigger in giving Brock Harding a scholarship offer. A unique talent that doesn't come along very often and is now a close teammate of 2023 recruit Owen Freeman.
Unless Brock has informed Fran that he has no interest in coming to Iowa either on a scholarship or as a preferred walk-on, offering a scholarship to a extremely talented player that lives less then an hour away from Carver Arena is a no brainer.
With 3 scholarships still to give out, a special player like Brock would be a tremendous asset to Iowa basketball despite his lack of height. The kids a winner and Iowa could use all the talented players within shouting distance of the University of Iowa they can get their hands on.

i have a feeling Brock is going to be on a Sweet 16 team. Whether he is on a midmajor or high major team that makes the Sweet 16 remains to be seen.

And I think Fran will be giving out at least 5 scholarships for 2023 (Owen, the 3 that currently are open, and the one that will likely open up when Kris likely leaves for the NBA)

Here are some more Moline highlights from last weekend.

When Owen gets doubled, he kicks it out to the shooter.

And, as you can see, Moline has some nice pieces other than Owen & Brock Harding.

I think they'll eventually get there as well. Iowa's in on some really high level recruits at the moment and PG doesn't seem to be a something the staff is feeling is a need based on their other offers. If you look at who Iowa's perceived to be pushing for the most for it's guys with size and shooters. Ulis still has 3 years of eligibility and obviously Bowen has his 4 years--I just feel like they think they're set at that position at the moment so they're looking to fill other spots first. But like I said, I think they'll eventually get there unless they really pull off some huge wins. If Brock moves on due to Iowa slow playing him, I totally get it. However, teaming up with Freeman certainly helps our cause there.

Think Iowa has a bunch of buckets of offers out to guys that are very similar play styles and athletes:
  • Athletic, modern 4's who can shoot: TJ Power, Taylor Bowen, Carey Booth, JQ Roberts (still needs to improve shooting)
  • Centers, mostly modern who can step out and shoot 3's: JP Estrella, Boden Kapke, Xavier Booker
  • 3 point shooting wings: Pryce Sandfort, Jamie Kaiser, Asa Thomas
I think ideally Iowa would like to get Pryce, a center, and think they could take multiple of that first bucket since all of those guys can play multiple positions. We'll see if they can get it done.

I have always said that I would be shocked if we don't land Pryce Sandfort. And now, from recent reports I have seen, Iowa is the clear favorite to land Pryce. And it's not taking NIL deals to land Owen and Pryce, which is nice to see.

Reactions: ozzyrulz
I don't have a strong opinion about Brock either way. I will trust McCaffery to determine whether the young man, who doesn't have any other major offers, has what it takes to play at the B1G level. But if it cements Freeman's connection to Iowa, I'm for it.

I think he'd be a good back up PG, if nothing else.

I think he's gonna prove a lot of people wrong and do very well at the next level.

• Haha
Reactions: Bro D
This is a really nice story from today from Sports Illustrated.

Owen is enjoying a stress-free spring & summer with his college home decided. He continues to work on improving his game & has been hitting the weight room regularly.

As you will read, Owen is working on his face-up and mid-range games as well as his 3 point shot.

"I'm more around 6-11 now, and I'm a solid 220. I'm in the weight room a lot," he said.

Other colleges have respected Owen's Iowa pledge and have not tried to flip him. He stated that he wouldn't have listened if they did.

LINK to the Full Story:

Last edited:

Here's a better picture, that does not cut him off:

FVe8QaDUAAMWLRA

Moline went 1-1 yesterday at the Midwest Crossroads Showcase. They beat Perspectives Leadership 74-60 and lost to Columbus AEC (OH) 81-69.

FVjiWiSXwAAiQ9Y

Today, Iowa landed 6'9 three star Offensive Lineman Cannon Leonard.

Leonard, far right, played with Owen Freeman and Brock Harding for 2 years with Mid Pro Academy on the AAU Circuit.

FVzg3Z9XoAsO7nU

Have to love O-lineman that played a little hoops. Should have great feet.

Welcome aboard Cannon. Help Brock grow

“I’ve actually kept growing and am like 6-11 now, and I really like to play with my back to the basket,” Freeman said. “I can play the post, but I can also stretch the floor and shoot a little bit. I can also pass out to my teammates. I feel like I have good court vision. I like to push the floor and grab rebounds.”

Moline HC Sean Taylor: "Owen is going to demand a double team. And if he doesn’t, well then it’s going to be a one-on-one and he is really good at scoring in the post.”

Good story from the Quad City Times.

ADVERTISEMENT