ADVERTISEMENT

Owen Freeman

WildIowaCat

All-Conference
Mar 19, 2010
Ok its the offseason and the portal is exasperating. Lets discuss Owen and his potential. From what I see, gotta love the rim running and dunk everything attitude while finishing through some guys as big as he is already ( always a question concerning prep players). Already flashing ability to stretch the floor a bit shooting. Just great feet, never underestimate good footwork. Also some rim protection on D. Question is, can his mobility and motor remain as he gains mass for college ball? Would love to hear Combes chime in on him, and more as he develops over the year. I feel like this kid is under discussed so far for a highly rated prospect.

Last edited:
Wish he were coming in this year, I think he’d help. His versatility at playing the 4/5 is I think something we’ve not had.

I wish he was coming in too as it would not only help with the upcoming season but he'd have the experience for the next season when we're going to need him.

His numbers arent overwhelming
This. He's got talent and has really come on in the past year, but he only shoots 25% from the 3, so stating that as s strength is overblown. Not saying he won't get there but he'll need to do more than dunk for Iowa. IMHO, he has the ability.

Reactions: perryhawk
Ok its the offseason and the portal is exasperating. Lets discuss Owen and his potential. From what I see, gotta love the rim running and dunk everything attitude while finishing through some guys as big as he is already ( always a question concerning prep players). Already flashing ability to stretch the floor a bit shooting. Just great feet, never underestimate good footwork. Also some rim protection on D. Question is, can his mobility and motor remain as he gains mass for college ball? Would love to hear Combes chime in on him, and more as he develops over the year. I feel like this kid is under discussed so far for a highly rated prospect.
I’ve seen him several times. Very skilled. He had a bad summer so his stock dropped. He also does not have much talent around him so he sometimes tries to do too much.

But he is mobile and plays with an edge. He should be very good for Iowa.

This. He's got talent and has really come on in the past year, but he only shoots 25% from the 3, so stating that as s strength is overblown. Not saying he won't get there but he'll need to do more than dunk for Iowa. IMHO, he has the ability.

We’ve been spoiled that our bigs have been good at 3’s, at times better than most guards. I’m hoping he’ll be a Aaron White type of player. I guess we’ll see.

I’ve seen him several times. Very skilled. He had a bad summer so his stock dropped. He also does not have much talent around him so he sometimes tries to do too much.

Thanks. I am surprised to hear that he had a bad summer considering the stuff some have posted about him.

Reactions: Ronman
Has anyone seen an xray of his growth plates? He grows into Porzingas size we might have something.

Any word on what he struggled with? Hope he isn‘t less effective as others get bigger around him. If its trying to do too much as a competitive guy, thats better than low BBIQ. Also I do not doubt his struggles but Ive heard a lot of the big man prospects had similar drops outside of the big names. How much of this was in relation to the circumstances? Some scouts I talked to mentioned a bit of hedging on the 2022 evals because they couldn't see as many prospects as much as usual the past year or two.

Also, thanks for commenting!

Last edited:
I’m hoping he’ll be able to play with his back to the basket. I love a good jump hook.
That would be a luxury to have as an addition, hopefully not at the expense of one of his best aspects.. rim running. Putting pressure on the half court as a big man is an important part of modern basketball especially if he can pick and pop. Think a bigger more skilled Aaron White.

His numbers arent overwhelming
Careful with stats these recent classes, remember it was a tough few years for these kids. Personally I am trying to be more qualitative ( using the eyeball test ). There are going to be an unprecedented amount of unheralded prospects being a surprise the next year or so in college ball I presume.

That would be a luxury to have as an addition, hopefully not at the expense of one of his best aspects.. rim running. Putting pressure on the half court as a big man is an important part of modern basketball especially if he can pick and pop. Think a bigger more skilled Aaron White.
That is setting a pretty high bar!

Careful with stats these recent classes, remember it was a tough few years for these kids. Personally I am trying to be more qualitative ( using the eyeball test ). There are going to be an unprecedented amount of unheralded prospects being a surprise the next year or so in college ball I presume.
Every report that I have read from experts are extremely positive, don’t know what Combes sees other than regretting he didn’t choose Illinois

Reactions: Ree4 and perryhawk
Every report that I have read from experts are extremely positive, don’t know what Combes sees other than regretting he didn’t choose Illinois
Usually the in-person stuff posted by certain posters is pretty rosy all around. Just looking at his stats gives a fuller picture. He is impressive, but he has things to work on.

Hey look, a guy made a legitimate thread and now Fran keeps bumping his Owen Freeman thread. What a nutjob

Not only does he keep bumping his own, he takes posts out of other threads and responds in his thread. He must be autistic in some way because what he does isn’t normal.

You 2 children realize that you are not only pathetic but hypocrites, correct? Your posts in this thread (that I quoted) contain nothing of value and serve only to bump this thread. So, according to SB SB, that also makes you both autistic. You can't make this up.

And I honestly think BroD is bi polar and probably has a drinking problem, too. Both likely contribute to his history of bizarre, crazy ass posts.

And speaking of BroD's history on here, at least there was one time when he apologized for his manic depressive behavior.

He wrote this on Dec 26, when he was likely in a manic, holiday spirit, state of mind:

Appreciate it Fran. I know I've given you shit before and honestly, I felt bad about it after the fact and want to apologize. All I know is you're a Hawk fan and its all that matters. Merry Christmas :)

You 2 children realize that you are not only pathetic but hypocrites, correct? Your posts in this thread (that I quoted) contain nothing of value and serve only to bump this thread. So, according to SB SB, that also makes you both autistic. You can't make this up.

And I honestly think BroD is bi polar and probably has a drinking problem, too. Both likely contribute to his history of bizarre, crazy ass posts.

And speaking of BroD's history on here, at least there was one time when he apologized for his manic depressive behavior.

He wrote this on Dec 26, when he was likely in a manic, holiday spirit, state of mind:
Can i take you to Las Vegas rainman?

ADVERTISEMENT