ADVERTISEMENT

OWH article on Iowa's recruiting class

You don't see things like that written by people here for fear of getting their credentials pulled. Sort of refreshing (and sad).

Higdon signing with Um did not make Iowa have a low class. It may have dropped them one spot, so it was already low. He mentions that the guys in the trenches don't score td's. They don't but others don't either without the guys in the trenches.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I guess everyone has different opinions of things and I think there is some validity to the argument but really what argument is he making that no one in Eastern Iowa isn't already thinking or talking about or already know? Yes Dirk, the sun will go down tonight and the moon will shine...do we need an article (in the OWH of all places) to say that? With that said, Chatelain is a twerpy blowhard from Western Nebraska who never played a day of sports in his life (I know, shocking for a sports column writer). He has become the OWH mouthpiece for Nebraska and takes shots at anything not red and white hence an article in the OWH about Iowa recruiting to make Nebraska fans feel good about their average haul for recruiting. As a Creighton fan, he loathes the Jays and will actually write articles and go on local talk radio to bash on Creighton. He was even rooting for St. John's via twitter the other day when they were in Omaha, which just baffles me that he will do that while working for an Omaha paper. So I guess thanks Dirk for a fine opine piece which stated the obvious. The OWH sucks! Print media sucks! No one has the balls to say anything in their respective markets anymore because they can't afford to "bite the little hand that feeds it."

This post was edited on 2/5 6:52 PM by CURx

Getting bent over the truth I suppose happens but CURx[/URL]'s venting looks to be a manifestation deeper than the opinion article. But then it's responses like his that keep featured writers in business.

Originally posted by CURx:
I guess everyone has different opinions of things and I think there is some validity to the argument but really what argument is he making that no one in Eastern Iowa isn't already thinking or talking about or already know? Yes Dirk, the sun will go down tonight and the moon will shine...do we need an article (in the OWH of all places) to say that? With that said, Chatelain is a twerpy blowhard from Western Nebraska who never played a day of sports in his life (I know, shocking for a sports column writer). He has become the OWH mouthpiece for Nebraska and takes shots at anything not red and white hence an article in the OWH about Iowa recruiting to make Nebraska fans feel good about their average haul for recruiting. As a Creighton fan, he loathes the Jays and will actually write articles and go on local talk radio to bash on Creighton. He was even rooting for St. John's via twitter the other day when they were in Omaha, which just baffles me that he will do that while working for an Omaha paper. So I guess thanks Dirk for a fine opine piece which stated the obvious. The OWH sucks! Print media sucks! No one has the balls to say anything in their respective markets anymore because they can't afford to "bite the little hand that feeds it."

This post was edited on 2/5 6:52 PM by CURx
You nailed it CURx, Chatelain is a shill for the Kool Aid drinkers in Omaha and Lincoln, he still lives in the 70's and thinks Debbie is on the cusp of a National Championship season every year.

Almost all of the writers from OWH and the LJS are horrible. The worst offender is Sipple. That guy is terrible.

Originally posted by N.Legend:
Getting bent over the truth I suppose happens but CURx[/URL]'s venting looks to be a manifestation deeper than the opinion article. But then it's responses like his that keep featured writers in business.
I don't think the huskers class was too much to brag about either, certainly not in keeping with their high opinion of themselves.

Originally posted by Ladell-hawk:
Originally posted by N.Legend:
I don't think the huskers class was too much to brag about either, certainly not in keeping with their high opinion of themselves.
Considering the circumstances, I think majority of Husker fans were content with the class. A lot of guys with good offer lists. It needs to be better, but it didn't help firing and hiring a coach right before the dead period late in the recruiting process. Lost a few good recruits like Reuben Jones to Michigan + Kendall Bussey to A&M + Jurkovic signed with Ohio St. Bo left and they left. But stuff is gonna happen with a coaching change and overall, there are some very solid athletes and ending up 4th in the B1G isn't terrible. Several Rivals analysts + Jeremy Crabtree are fans of the class, fwiw.

As far as Dirk Chatelain.....some Iowa fans are lost. At least 50% of Neb fans don't like him because they think he's too negative in writing about Husker football. He was the #1 most hated guy in the state for Bo lovers. Chatelain is FAR from a mouthpiece for Neb....they must be thinking of Steve Sipple of the Lincoln Journal Star. Chatelain speaks his mind and doesn't care what the Athletics Dept in Lincoln thinks. Nothing wrong with the linked article. Many Iowa fans are much more harsh than that on this site. You'd have to be a raging homer to not think that article was fair and touched on relevant points.

So the medical school cost us and we hear of an entire new coaching staff finishing 4th in the conference? I thought we couldn't expect coaches to build relationships in less then 3 years.

All OWH sports suck the BIG red One
If they win on Sat, the sports section is 25 pages. If they lose, it's nine.
This paper has not had an original thought is the last ten years. This paper is not worth dumping on. I live in this city and get flipped off routinely for having a HAWK logo on my car. These are the most biased fans in America, it's all they live for here. You only have one life to live, " Don't Waste It Being A Nebraska Fan".

Originally posted by delmond:
All OWH sports suck the BIG red One
If they win on Sat, the sports section is 25 pages. If they lose, it's nine.
This paper has not had an original thought is the last ten years. This paper is not worth dumping on. I live in this city and get flipped off routinely for having a HAWK logo on my car. These are the most biased fans in America, it's all they live for here. You only have one life to live, " Don't Waste It Being A Nebraska Fan".
lebron-you-mad.jpg

This post was edited on 2/6 10:52 AM by Bill_Callahan2.0

Michigan has twice the students as Iowa. So they should have twice the number of students get into med school. A better stat is the PER CENTAGE of students that get into med school. Unfortunately that is too difficult for me to obtain, but I bet we come out at least as well, if not better, than Michigan in those numbers.

Originally posted by twindman:
Michigan has twice the students as Iowa. So they should have twice the number of students get into med school. A better stat is the PER CENTAGE of students that get into med school. Unfortunately that is too difficult for me to obtain, but I bet we come out at least as well, if not better, than Michigan in those numbers.
Maybe, but I'm guessing not. Especially for out of state schools. Michigan is a really good school and doing well there carries a lot of weight.

sorry, this is a broken record, but this class is pretty similar to most of KF's classes - this writer should have gone back a bit further.

We have one class in the top 25 since 2002 (rivals), an anomaly, but I believe our average nationally is in the 40's

The way I suggest to look at our recruiting is SKILL players, as you can attribute our successful seasons to some combination of excellent QB, WR, TE and RB play

The truth hurts.

I've been waiting for articles like this or harsher - desperate times call for desperate measures in recruiting - the coaching staff should have been way oversigned going into NSD and dumping players like Petrino. Running back is a tire fire and we should be running off some of those kids. Kirk should realize - regardless whether he turns it around for a 3rd time or not - he won't be around when a bad reputation hurts in recruiting. He's got 5 years left max.

I'm tired of losing, it's time to play by SEC rules.

Originally posted by BirdistheWord:
sorry, this is a broken record, but this class is pretty similar to most of KF's classes - this writer should have gone back a bit further.

We have one class in the top 25 since 2002 (rivals), an anomaly, but I believe our average nationally is in the 40's

The way I suggest to look at our recruiting is SKILL players, as you can attribute our successful seasons to some combination of excellent QB, WR, TE and RB play
So this class which is around 58-60 nationally depending on service is pretty similar to one in the 40's? How do you figure that?

What's more concerning is the trend lately shows that recruiting is getting even worse.

Originally posted by ThatsFootball:
Originally posted by BirdistheWord:

So this class which is around 58-60 nationally depending on service is pretty similar to one in the 40's? How do you figure that?
Our average rivals ranking through last year was 45. We have had three recruiting years worse than this year (04, 09 and 14). We were 13 spots worse than our average. I would probably edit to say slightly lower than KF's average class. When I typed that, I thought we were in the low 50's.

The point is that our usual recruiting class ranking is not very good, and this year was a little worse than not very good.

Originally posted by ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK:
It never seems to amaze me with how obsessed Nebraskans are with Iowa! Lil bro always keeping an eye on us.
You say this because of the article by the Omaha World-Herald?

This post was edited on 2/9 3:49 PM by Alum-Ni

IA may have a 2nd team All State RB from NJ as their starting RB in Wadley. in 2014 IA signed a rare 4* ATH and a 4* QB, both red shirted

TOS shows IA signing 3 4* OL, for that 4* QB Weiger to play behind, and 4* Scheel to throw to, the 2016 class will have that new complex to see and a NEW staff that is designed to do nothing but recruit and evaluate recruits.

those OL also will blocking for RB Graham out of Alabama. a good OL can and does make any QB and RB look good. with there blocking on passing and opening holes for the RB, Graham is not a slow FB, nor is Wadley.

It never seems to amaze me with how obsessed Nebraskans are with Iowa! Lil bro always keeping an eye on us.
Obsessed or just a smart business covering Iowa to pull in subscribers from Council Bluffs and SW Iowa. Hasn't OWH covered Iowa for like, ever?

Originally posted by FG86:

Obsessed or just a smart business covering Iowa to pull in subscribers from Council Bluffs and SW Iowa. Hasn't OWH covered Iowa for like, ever?
Yes and that is very unusual. They don't seem to mention ISU very often though.

Originally posted by Aegon_Targaryen:

Originally posted by FG86:

Yes and that is very unusual. They don't seem to mention ISU very often though.
What is unusual?

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

IA may have a 2nd team All State RB from NJ as their starting RB in Wadley. in 2014 IA signed a rare 4* ATH and a 4* QB, both red shirted

TOS shows IA signing 3 4* OL, for that 4* QB Weiger to play behind, and 4* Scheel to throw to, the 2016 class will have that new complex to see and a NEW staff that is designed to do nothing but recruit and evaluate recruits.

those OL also will blocking for RB Graham out of Alabama. a good OL can and does make any QB and RB look good. with there blocking on passing and opening holes for the RB, Graham is not a slow FB, nor is Wadley.
Not sure what your point is? I guess what you just posted can go up against this in a few years.

Wisconsin - 3 four star RB's, 4 four star OL, 1 four star QB, 1 four star TE, 1 four star ATH, and a defense full of four star and high three star guys.

Nebraska - 2 four star RB's, 4 four star OL, 2 four star WR's, and plenty of four star defensive guys.

Ohio St, Michigan St, Penn St and Michigan - Four and Five star guys at nearly every position

Minnesota - Solid three star guys at every position

Northwestern - has just as many four star underclassmen as Iowa if not more if you look at TOS's plus plenty of solid 3 star guys.

As you can see we play all of these teams after 2015, and what we have our competition has more of or is better well rounded. Kill at Minnesota has proven he is just as good if not better then KF at developing talent.

Easy on the sarcasm, most people on here do not get it. There are so many Hawk fans in Eastern NE that Omaha 590am is a hawk football station and the OWH regularly covers the hawks and for the most part in a fair manner.
Not sure why some dbag UNL guy posts on this board, but that's beside the point.

Originally posted by SeaBassWins:
Easy on the sarcasm, most people on here do not get it. There are so many Hawk fans in Eastern NE that Omaha 590am is a hawk football station and the OWH regularly covers the hawks and for the most part in a fair manner.
Not sure why some dbag UNL guy posts on this board, but that's beside the point.
Not anymore. Just announced today that KXSP-AM (590) will become the new home for Husker sports broadcasts in the Omaha area beginning July 1.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT