Owners Of Chicago Cubs Charged With Fraud

LuteHawk

HR Legend
Nov 30, 2011
Yesterday, Chicago Sun Times sportswriter Rick Morrissey
charged Cubs owner Ricketts with fraud. He said that the
fans have been cheated with the current product on the
field. In 2019, the team had a payroll of $221 million and
in 2022 the team payroll is $147 million.

Last year the owners dumped Darvish, Baez, Rizzo, Bryant
in trades to erase their salaries. The Cubs could afford
those 4 players, but they wanted to save money. The excuse
was the Cubs are in a rebuilding process. But that is a joke
for a major market team like Chicago.

Bottom Line: With new revenue from higher ticket prices and
the Marquee Sports Network, the owners have invested the
money in other projects & businesses near Wrigley Field.

Rizzo has helped the Yankees this year to have the
best record in MLB. He has 28 RBI's and 11 HR's and
plays good defense. Rizzo also is a good leader who
is well respected by his teammates.

Bottom Line: Only Aaron Judge with 36 RBI's and
Stanton with 35 RBI's have more than Rizzo on the
Yankee team.

Rizzo is hitting .221, Baez .204, Bryant has spent most of the year on the DL. Darvish has been OK I guess.

Bottom line, all but Darvish have been below average MLB players since the Cubs moved them...
How many homers does Rizzo have? Quite a few last I saw.

They’re coasting on their championship. When people stop watching, they’ll start spending or maybe they won’t.

Reactions: LuteHawk
Rizzo has helped the Yankees this year to have the
best record in MLB. He has 28 RBI's and 11 HR's and
plays good defense. Rizzo also is a good leader who
is well respected by his teammates.

Bottom Line: Only Aaron Judge with 36 RBI's and
Stanton with 35 RBI's have more than Rizzo on the
Yankee team.
He was blistering hot in April, and very meh in May.
Edit: He still has a creaky back. I love the guy, and everything he did as a Cub, but every year he spends time on the IL due to that bad back.

Reactions: LuteHawk
Rizzo is hitting .221, Baez .204, Bryant has spent most of the year on the DL. Darvish has been OK I guess.

Bottom line, all but Darvish have been below average MLB players since the Cubs moved them...
And the Cubs were not contending at the time that they moved them….and Morrissey points to decline starting in 2019, that pretty much makes the case for change. I don’t like how they handled most of it and it was painful seeing them all go within days, but the Cubs got a lot of promising players in return and, as noted, those guys aren’t exactly tearing it up - though Rizzo is enjoying that short porch.

Fans for sure. The bleachers can be such a cringefest.
Things can get weird, but I think it's been better the last few years, although I haven't been in the bleachers since 2019. They will still let you get drunk as can be, but the management has been better. It's a great spot for seeing a game.

Reactions: Moral
Things can get weird, but I think it's been better the last few years, although I haven't been in the bleachers since 2019. They will still let you get drunk as can be, but the management has been better. It's a great spot for seeing a game.

It is a great spot to see a game.

Reactions: Mike Zierath
And the Cubs were not contending at the time that they moved them….and Morrissey points to decline starting in 2019, that pretty much makes the case for change. I don’t like how they handled most of it and it was painful seeing them all go within days, but the Cubs got a lot of promising players in return and, as noted, those guys aren’t exactly tearing it up - though Rizzo is enjoying that short porch.
As mentioned in the Cubs thread. Prospects are just that until they get to the majors, but they got a bunch of 18-20 year old guys mostly in the sell off. Many of them are lighting it up this year. Caleb Killian is MLB ready from the Bryant trade.
I will once again beat my favorite dead horse, that Jason McCleod should have been fired years ago. The biggest organizational problem was that besides 1st round picks, they put nobody into the majors from their system. Then they wound up with a bunch of guys all at the end of team control at once, and no replacements ready to move in.

As mentioned in the Cubs thread. Prospects are just that until they get to the majors, but they got a bunch of 18-20 year old guys mostly in the sell off. Many of them are lighting it up this year. Caleb Killian is MLB ready from the Bryant trade.
I will once again beat my favorite dead horse, that Jason McCleod should have been fired years ago. The biggest organizational problem was that besides 1st round picks, they put nobody into the majors from their system. Then they wound up with a bunch of guys all at the end of team control at once, and no replacements ready to move in.
Cubs have always been a fraud. Luckiest world series win ever.

Yea No. LOl
I can’t even begin to imagine the argument that the 2016 Cubs were the luckiest WS winner ever. They had the best team in baseball almost wire to wire. By the end, they had quality starting pitching, the best closer in baseball, power at multiple positions, a lot of positional flexibility and a great mix of young and old.

There are a LOT of things you can say about the Cubs 2018-2022, but 2016 lucky? The best team doesn’t always win, but that team was a very early favorite, played like it most of the season and then won the whole thing.

It was an absolute classic of a World Series, though.

I don't have many issues, beyond it was sad to see it end, with them trading those players. I do have issues with them not even really appearing to be trying to field a decent product on the field in the mean time. It does look like there is some talent in the farm system, but come on. For the money fans are asked to spend on the team they deserve better.

I can’t even begin to imagine the argument that the 2016 Cubs were the luckiest WS winner ever. They had the best team in baseball almost wire to wire. By the end, they had quality starting pitching, the best closer in baseball, power at multiple positions, a lot of positional flexibility and a great mix of young and old.

There are a LOT of things you can say about the Cubs 2018-2022, but 2016 lucky? The best team doesn’t always win, but that team was a very early favorite, played like it most of the season and then won the whole thing.

It was an absolute classic of a World Series, though.
Down 1-3 and not lucky? I know your a cubs fan and wanted it bad. I'm gonna say lucky. I know you'll say they were just that great.

WTF? Any Cubs fan or sportswriter should have been thrilled with trading those pieces last year. They weren't touching the playoffs and all those players have maxed out their potential already. Cubs desperately needed to rebuild their farm system. Their Myrtle Beach single A team is one of the best minor league teams in all of baseball partly due to trading Baez and getting that Pete Crow Armstrong

Reactions: hawkifann
WTF? Any Cubs fan or sportswriter should have been thrilled with trading those pieces last year. They weren't touching the playoffs and all those players have maxed out their potential already. Cubs desperately needed to rebuild their farm system. Their Myrtle Beach single A team is one of the best minor league teams in all of baseball partly due to trading Baez and getting that Pete Crow Armstrong
From my Mets Damn it.

Down 1-3 and not lucky? I know your a cubs fan and wanted it bad. I'm gonna say lucky. I know you'll say they were just that great.
So you’re going luck in a small sample size? That any team that loses 3 straight is unlucky?

What’s luck and what’s regressing to the mean? The Cubs were 9 games better than the then-Indians in the regular season (and won an MLB-leading 103 games). Both teams came in hot. Cleveland won easily in game 1, then the Cubs took game 2. Cleveland won game 3 1-0 before winning in Chicago 7-2. Cleveland up 3-1. The Cubs won a close one (lucky, I suppose that Jon Lester and Aroldis Chapman were good) 3-2 to force game 6 in Cleveland. The Cubs won a really, really lucky 9-3 game in Cleveland to force game 7. Game 7 was a wild ride and the Cubs came out on top.

I guess I just don’t see the “luckiest WS ever” there. That was two really good teams going at it and the team that had been better over 162 came out a tick ahead in the end. You make it sound like the Cubs were a fraudulent winner.

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
So you’re going luck in a small sample size? That any team that loses 3 straight is unlucky?

What’s luck and what’s regressing to the mean? The Cubs were 9 games better than the then-Indians in the regular season (and won an MLB-leading 103 games). Both teams came in hot. Cleveland won easily in game 1, then the Cubs took game 2. Cleveland won game 3 1-0 before winning in Chicago 7-2. Cleveland up 3-1. The Cubs won a close one (lucky, I suppose that Jon Lester and Aroldis Chapman were good) 3-2 to force game 6 in Cleveland. The Cubs won a really, really lucky 9-3 game in Cleveland to force game 7. Game 7 was a wild ride and the Cubs came out on top.

I guess I just don’t see the “luckiest WS ever” there. That was two really good teams going at it and the team that had been better over 162 came out a tick ahead in the end. You make it sound like the Cubs were a fraudulent winner.
Not fraudulent just lucky.

Bet on my Mets then this year
Not really seeing the comp since the 2016 Cubs had the best record in MLB and the Mets are currently 2 games worse than the Dodgers and 2.5 games worse than the Yankees. That said, the Mets are certainly in a position to make a run and I’ll be surprised if they’re not a tough out in the playoffs.

Reactions: hawksurprize

Cubs were favored to win those last 3 games down 3 to 1. How is that lucky? They had Lester Game 5. Arrieta Game 6. Hendricks Game 7. I wouldn’t say a single win for either team in that series was luck.

Now if the Indians pulled out game 7 that would have been the luckiest win all series. They were lucky Chapman was over used and tried blowing game 7. Also lucky Ross threw a ball away at 1st and scored 2 runs on a wild pitch off Ross’ melon.

Last edited:
if you would have told me years ago that a new owner would lead the Cubs to a world series and later be hated by the fan base I would have lol. But its true.

Edit: Im not mocking Cubs fans. They are right to be pissed.

Chicago Cubs Fans resent the fact that the owners need
to rebuild the team twice in 10 years. A major market
team like Chicago should always be competitive. Which
means you spend some money on good players. Ricketts
is falsely pleading poor while he invests his profits from
baseball operation elsewhere.

I don’t resent the Ricketts because of the rebuild. They let Theo do damn near anything he wanted and he did.

I see how you are. I defended the Cubs moves. The Cards have 4 rookies right now crushing it against the Brewers. Out with the unproductive ( Delong, Carpenter, Martinez ) in with the young, hungry noobies. Up from the farm system. The Cardinal Way…
I have was giving you a Don Denkinger opening, Bro.
I have offered praise over the years to the Cardinals for their farm system. It's been consistent for decades.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
ADVERTISEMENT