ADVERTISEMENT

Ozark - great show and I like Jason Bateman

I made it to about episode 5 or 6 and couldn't bring myself to watch any more. The boredom was just grating. The only character I cared about was the dude they bought the house from who was dying. They needed a Questin Tarantino everyone dies style shootout at that point.

I made it to about episode 5 or 6 and couldn't bring myself to watch any more. The boredom was just grating. The only character I cared about was the dude they bought the house from who was dying. They needed a Questin Tarantino everyone dies style shootout at that point.
Boring? Seemed like at least one or two people got killed every episode! I was surprised at the fast pace.

I tried a few times because people hyped the show so much but I could only make it about as far as you did.

Reactions: cigaretteman
It’s overrated imo, but it’s still worth watching through. I got bored with it as well but it’s entertaining enough to justify its following imo.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I also stopped watching at about that point; but then because of covid lockdown decided to give it another shot. It got much better and I got into it.

Lisa Emery plays Darlene Snell and absolutely crushes the role. Bateman and Linney do a great job as well. I think the show has been cast incredibly well.

Some parts get slow, but they have constant burn for a story line that works for me.

As far as substitutes to replace Bateman if I had to.....Gary Oldman (with no accent) Patrick Dempsey, or possibly Mark Ruffalo. But Bateman is great in this.

Reactions: ghost80
Yeah ruth pretty much makes the show. Wendy turns into a pretty BA character as well
I was shocked to find out "Ruth" was born in...wait for it...da Bronx. She absolutely nails that role.

Marty does it for the intellectual challenge of pulling it off, I think. Wendy is gonna run the f'n cartel.
Wendy will "jacob" Marty if he's not careful.

Reactions: ghost80
It did start slightly slow. They have done a great job of building their characters.

After season three, all I could say is "holy shit". The whole fleeing sequence with Wendy and her brother was very deep and his portrayal of a person with mental illness deserves recognition. I was nearly moved to tears over Wendy's situation of saving her brother or her family. It was heart wrenching the decision she had to make.

I'm 100% onboarding with Ozark. Hope they can keep the high level they showed in S 3 up.

Last edited:
Wendy’s brother better get some award recognition because his performance was insane. Very powerful.
I saw what you did there ;)

On the serious side, even if he is not given an award the people in the business know he hit it out of the park and this 1 season part will land more/better roles.

Possible twist somewhere down the road? He isn't dead and they got the hit man to go along with a fake death? After all..they were the ones who disposed of his body.

Possible twist somewhere down the road? He isn't dead and they got the hit man to go along with a fake death? After all..they were the ones who disposed of his body.
Leverage? Are they smart/worried enough to think they’ll need that?

I can understand people thinking it's boring. The end of the last episode this season was especially meh.

I saw what you did there ;)

On the serious side, even if he is not given an award the people in the business know he hit it out of the park and this 1 season part will land more/better roles.

I am onboard the he is not dead band wagon. No way they tease the hit man getting all soft during the season for nothing.

I am onboard the he is not dead band wagon. No way they tease the hit man getting all soft during the season for nothing.
Either way this is a sign of good writing. They didnt paint themselves into a corner when they killed him off. A good writing crew recognizes how to do subtle little things to create opportunities for the future. They don't have use every opportunity....just create the opportunity.

Obviously for him to come back would mean a conspiracy between the hit man and Wendy. It also means sure death for them and the family if the cartel head found out he wasn't dead.

I found the hit man quite interesting. Found it interesting how often he would just cooly blend into a crowd and go unnoticed. I've written this before on hrot but that is how I got my nickname.

Reactions: anon_ts5cfra6drv7r
Bateman is perfect for the role , the way he approaches the character I dont think anyone would do it better.

Agreed that Pelphrey's role as Ben was great and deserves recognition during awards season, and I would include Linney in that conversation. The scene in the van after Ben was picked up at the restaurant was brilliant, you could feel Wendy's pain. Outstanding scene and episode.

While some people may not like the show I dont understand the "slow" characterization.
Season 1 episode 1 , the "Marty are you there" scene after Wendy's friend is excused from his apartment was outstanding. Marty contemplating Dell's offer concerning Wendy, her fear and realization that she might die great TV. That scene had me hooked. Love the show

Bateman is perfect for the role , the way he approaches the character I dont think anyone would do it better.

Agreed that Pelphrey's role as Ben was great and deserves recognition during awards season, and I would include Linney in that conversation. The scene in the van after Ben was picked up at the restaurant was brilliant, you could feel Wendy's pain. Outstanding scene and episode.

While some people may not like the show I dont understand the "slow" characterization.
Season 1 episode 1 , the "Marty are you there" scene after Wendy's friend is excused from his apartment was outstanding. Marty contemplating Dell's offer concerning Wendy, her fear and realization that she might die great TV. That scene had me hooked. Love the show
What hooked me in Season 1 was Wendy getting it doggie style.

I was hooked from the scene at the trucking company when Marty told Del "You know, to be honest this, uh, Dale Carnegie/Pablo Escobar ruse - I think that that's beneath you" and Del responded by firing four rounds into the bathroom, killing Bruce's wife.

Best line of the show was when Marty returned home and Wendy tried to convince him to go to the police. "Do you wanna just role-play it? Okay, I'm Detective Whoeverthef*ck and you're the wife of the top money launderer for the second largest drug cartel in Mexico. Go."

Reactions: NoleinATL
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT