ADVERTISEMENT

P5 commissioners talking about postponing season.

Interesting quote from the article:

"Nobody wanted to be the first to do it," a Power 5 coach told ESPN, "and now nobody will want to be the last."

A Power 5 administrator added: "It feels like no one wants to, but it's reaching the point where someone is going to have to."

Typically, I hate the "heard it from a friend" posts but I've heard from someone who I consider to have "in the know" contacts and he advised earlier this afternoon that postponement of the fall football season is "all but assured." Entirely consistent with what is being posted elsewhere.

Wear a mask and hope for a basketball season.

We have people getting sick and dying all across the nation since at least March, and some of you care about college football. Priorities, people. Put a mask on and keep your distance. Stop dining and drinking inside and we might even be able to watch college football in the spring. We’re past the point of having to look into the mirror and accept that our actions/inactions are prolonging this

We have people getting sick and dying all across the nation since at least March, and some of you care about college football. Priorities, people. Put a mask on and keep your distance. Stop dining and drinking inside and we might even be able to watch college football in the spring. We’re past the point of having to look into the mirror and accept that our actions/inactions are prolonging this
Do you know what the mortality rate is for covid? It is very similar to the flu at 99.6++%. The numbers are inflated to panic people and it appears it is working. The only folks dying are people with compromised immune systems and older folks who all have to take precautions.

Neither side will be happy if football is delayed until next spring. Can both sides find a reasonable solution?

Do you know what the mortality rate is for covid? It is very similar to the flu at 99.6++%. The numbers are inflated to panic people and it appears it is working. The only folks dying are people with compromised immune systems and older folks who all have to take precautions.

It's as if these universities need to start listening to people without any training in science and to stop listening to the medical experts advising them.

SO....are they cancelling classes, closing bars dorms etc? I'd bet not

If we want any hope of a basketball season this needs to happen. Nationally, not just on campuses. If you want to give this Iowa basketball team a chance to compete for a national championship, we need to get our s**t together. I don't see any reason to think that will happen.

No, the numbers are not inflated. But I suppose you feel your degree from three articles on Breitbart.com and your Masters from the College of YouTube totally makes your worthless opinion more relevant than the thousands of actual PhD's at reputatble research institutions around the world. Listening to people like you has worked great for the US so far! We're number 1 baby!

If we want any hope of a basketball season this needs to happen. Nationally, not just on campuses. If you want to give this Iowa basketball team a chance to compete for a national championship, we need to get our s**t together. I don't see any reason to think that will happen.
Conference only basketball might be possible and that's about it. I'm not going to hold my breath though

I’m wondering how much of this is drive by player safety vs concerns around being sued. All it takes is for a few players to die and personal injury attorneys out there will be chomping at the bit. Not surprised to see this at all.
I don't really understand this but it's probably partially true. Throw a few sick ones in the dorms and that shit is going to spread quick. They can make them sign whatever they want, they can still get sued....

Conference only basketball might be possible and that's about it. I'm not going to hold my breath though

Maybe, but that's assuming a vaccine comes out. In order to get this under control for basketball season we need to be shutting everything down now and hope that we can start opening back up in 2 months with significant restrictions. Instead, we are opening up everything and are going to try to pretend our way into beating this thing. At least the people who can't be sued for negligence are doing that. Anyone with any liability knows the truth of what is happening right now.

It's as if these universities need to start listening to people without any training in science and to stop listening to the medical experts advising them.
Look up the statistics for yourself. The science folks have been misleading the country since the start, But, you should stay in your house and keep your mask on if you are in fear of your life.

I don't really understand this but it's probably partially true. Throw a few sick ones in the dorms and that shit is going to spread quick. They can make them sign whatever they want, they can still get sued....

COVID has been shown to have significant rates of people who may not be killed from the virus, but come out of it with life-altering medical conditions. For a D1 college athlete, a professional career is most certainly a possibility for many players. If they get sick and then end up with a condition that keeps them from being able to play, they could concievably sue for potential lost wages.

Reactions: Chalkdaddy94
COVID has been shown to have significant rates of people who may not be killed from the virus, but come out of it with life-altering medical conditions. For a D1 college athlete, a professional career is most certainly a possibility for many players. If they get sick and then end up with a condition that keeps them from being able to play, they could concievably sue for potential lost wages.
Any person could for altering their life, the family sure could for death. Suing for football would be pretty hard, you couldn't even guarantee you'd be healthy by the time you were in the pros. If you were really really good you could certainly get something though

No, the numbers are not inflated. But I suppose you feel your degree from three articles on Breitbart.com and your Masters from the College of YouTube totally makes your worthless opinion more relevant than the thousands of actual PhD's at reputatble research institutions around the world. Listening to people like you has worked great for the US so far! We're number 1 baby!
yes the numbers are inflated and if you actually spent the time to research you would see the reductions in numbers when they are audited. Also, the numbers are skewed because five idiots in liberal states put covid people in nursing homes. Stay in your house.

Any person could for altering their life, the family sure could for death. Suing for football would be pretty hard, you couldn't even guarantee you'd be healthy by the time you were in the pros. If you were really really good you could certainly get something though

I don't know the chances of the plaintiff winning this case would be, I guess it would depend on the lawyer and the jury. But the threat is real enough that organizations are trying to avoid it.

Reactions: SB_SB
yes the numbers are inflated and if you actually spent the time to research you would see the reductions in numbers when they are audited. Also, the numbers are skewed because five idiots in liberal states put covid people in nursing homes. Stay in your house.

Judging from the misinformation you are spreading here, I've done far more research on this than you have.

Clearly, you don't even have a basic understanding of statistics because if you did, you'd realize how stupid your post sounds.

Look up the statistics for yourself. The science folks have been misleading the country since the start, But, you should stay in your house and keep your mask on if you are in fear of your life.

It's stupid, inane drivel like this which is why people have been aloof and not wearing masks and is precisely why we will not have a college football season.

Congratulations on perpetuating idiocy and being part of the problem. Pat yourself on the back for doing your part in f***ing up fall sports. In the spirit of Legend12, please do something to remove yourself from society.

I don't know the chances of the plaintiff winning this case would be, I guess it would depend on the lawyer and the jury. But the threat is real enough that organizations are trying to avoid it.
The threat of lawsuit is real. I'm saying I don't understand how the same threat doesn't exist from thousands of other students.

Clearly you have no clue as to what you are talking about. Look it up genius.

I have. Even if I tried to explain it to you it's clear you would not understand it so I'm not going to waste my time. I'm just trying to help you quit embarassing yourself here and giving you a simple out. However, you seem driven on making sure there are no sports this year so I can't stop you from that. But when they cancel basketball season too you can't say you weren't warned.

Seriously, how many things are going to have to get taken away from you before you figure this out?

I’m wondering how much of this is drive by player safety vs concerns around being sued. All it takes is for a few players to die and personal injury attorneys out there will be chomping at the bit. Not surprised to see this at all.
That is certainly part of it. I think like was stated in an earlier thread the biggest thing driving these cancellations is the demands being made by players groups to attain a chunk of the pie and whatever other demands they can force now that they feel like they have some leverage. I think the schools know if they cave to these demands the golden goose is cooked. The only way they could share half of the revenue, (not profit as has been discussed), would call for major cuts in athletic expenditures. I'd be really concerned that college sports as we've come to know them are in very serious trouble. Greed on both sides will be the undoing for all involved. The schools will evolve and adapt probably with less scholorship athletes and budgets. While they are being led to believe this is a victory for their cause, they'll never see the $$ their asking for, and future athletes will rue the day this came to pass. Many, Many less athletes will be granted full scholorships for a free education, and it remains to be seen where exactly that will leave them. Better study up on those books in high school fellas. The teet is about to dry up considerably.....

Reactions: hawkeyemark56
It is truly unreal how it is working isn't it. People just aren't stoping to truly think about things or research for themselves. It isn't even a world wide top 10 cause of death right now. This is with inflated stats. It is what it is because people keep talking about it. People are creating their own fear situations. Heart disease is the number one cause of death. How about we first shut down all the fast food joints and make deep fat fryers illegal? Those are big factors for heart disease. How about we actually promote people eating healthy and getting plenty of exercise. It is quite amazing how many mask people are wearing cloth masks that don't do any good anyways.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT