ADVERTISEMENT

P5 Schools Ranked 1-65 In Overall Athletic Success

That list is full of a lot of garbage...,

Many examples including this one that garnered a big ranking from minor sports while the two that matter most stunk. I bet Arkansas fans are going to hang a banner with this ranking!

20. Arkansas
Best sports: women’s indoor and outdoor track & field (national champions). Trajectory: steady. The Razorbacks have been between 16th and 23rd every year in the five-year period, admirable consistency built on a track & field foundation (moreso the women at the moment). The Hogs also scored well in baseball and women’s golf. The glam sports, football and men’s basketball, are not pulling their weight.

Ranks Iowa #50 overall and 13th in the conference, huh?

That tells me this isn’t just about the sports that matter and pay the bills at Iowa, where we are above average to good without exception. So for me it’s fart noises.

Where would you rank Iowa if you were only considering “the sports that matter and pay the bills” (which is solely men’s football and men’s basketball)?

This should be good....

Follow up question: Should Iowa field teams in a sports that don’t matter? If so, why? And to save you the trouble of whining about Title IX, just consider men’s sports when you answer the question.

Last edited:
That list is full of a lot of garbage...,

Many examples including this one that garnered a big ranking from minor sports while the two that matter most stunk. I bet Arkansas fans are going to hang a banner with this ranking!

20. Arkansas
Best sports: women’s indoor and outdoor track & field (national champions). Trajectory: steady. The Razorbacks have been between 16th and 23rd every year in the five-year period, admirable consistency built on a track & field foundation (moreso the women at the moment). The Hogs also scored well in baseball and women’s golf. The glam sports, football and men’s basketball, are not pulling their weight.

Why do we field teams in “garbage” sports? Are we only in the bottom 25% of P5 teams because the Iowa administration understands that “garbage” sports don’t matter?

What banners did Iowa hang in non-garbage sports?

Why do we field teams in “garbage” sports? Are we only in the bottom 25% of P5 teams because the Iowa administration understands that “garbage” sports don’t matter?

What banners did Iowa hang in non-garbage sports?

First I did not say any sports are garbage. I said the list is garbage which refers to the criteria behind it being garbage. When you can pull a #20 ranking with football & basketball (both men’s & women’s) stinking that’s all you have to know about this list. Yes the power sports matter most - shocking. They draw the most fans, notoriety and attention therefore they need to be weighted much higher. I can guarantee you the AD at Arkansas is not showing up to their school gatherings going ‘wow, we had one heck of a year at Arkansas’ based on this #20 ranking when football & basketball stunk.

Stack Arkansas up against a 50 ranking that Iowa received with football (9 win, bowl win), basketball (both men & women in the NCAAs) and wrestling (4th) (which the this list sites as one of #23 Minnesota’s key winter sports which they finished a whopping 8th).

PSU #9, power is wrestling power as we know and lacrosse (final four). I’m sure you tuned in to watch that final four. Good in football but not great this past year but nothing in basketball (either side) and nothing in baseball & softball. That’s good for #9

To top it off this nugget .... I’m sure OSU fans are in total agreement.

5. Ohio State
Best sport: wrestling.

Surprised we haven’t heard why this doesn’t matter now that Iowa has opened a gap on ISU. It is now a statistic similar to sos, sagarin, etc

Here’s another nugget. Illinois fans should be pumped about their athletics!!!!

37. (tie) Illinois
Best sport: women’s volleyball. Trajectory: steady. The Illini have their niche strengths, from volleyball to golf to tennis to gymnastics. What they don’t have, and haven’t had at any point in the last five years, is any input from football and men’s basketball. That’s a problem.

Last edited:
Where would you rank Iowa if you were only considering “the sports that matter and pay the bills” (which is solely men’s football and men’s basketball)?

This should be good....

Follow up question: Should Iowa field teams in a sports that don’t matter? If so, why? And to save you the trouble of whining about Title IX, just consider men’s sports when you answer the question.

Top 30 for sure for revenue sports, throw in wrestling, WBB and baseball then we’re probably talking about somewhere inside #20-25.

Yes. Power 5 teams should be expected to have robust men’s and women’s programs even though they don’t necessarily pay the bills. I’m always for more opportunities for young athletes regardless of gender. I’m not a Title IX hater. This tightens the budget obviously and makes it much more difficult to score well in an unweighted analysis like this.

Meh. These overall "rankings" mean very little unless you care about every single sport/activity that your school participates in. They are just too watered down IMHO. I care much more about academic rankings than this drivel.

These rankings are nothing new and people shouldnt be surprised....much less complain about them. I have been following them nearly every year since my parents would buy me the yearly sports almanac starting back in the late 80's.

All sports are given pretty much the same weight. Stanford is in the top 5 nearly every year for the past 20+ years. Why? Because they are really strong in those non-revenue sports like swimming, water polo, etc.

Iowa and Iowa St and 90% of the other Power 5 schools wont be near the top because they dont put serious money or offer a ton of the other sports.

Athletics has been a component of higher education for a long time. Now $$$ has come into certain sports and there are so many unforeseen consequences.

Isn't there something like a Presidents Cup or Regents Cup that ranks the B1G teams in all sports. I am pretty sure we were at least in the top 8-10 several years ago but the last 3 (I think) years we were dead last. I don't think this is acceptable.
I pretty much agree with those Barta haters. He has failed in many areas.

Any way you cut it, Iowa has not been very good.

That's where I disagree with you. See my post above. Iowa is doing fine in football, MBB, WBB, wrestling & baseball. At Iowa, these are the sports that matter to the fans and alumni, and for the most part, pay the bills. Iowa and their fans would love to do better, but right now were pretty good and on the rise (hopefully).

Most of our fanbase isn't even aware of the secondary sports I didn't mention that Iowa competes in. It's the way of the world I'm afraid.

Here’s another nugget. Illinois fans should be pumped about their athletics!!!!

37. (tie) Illinois
Best sport: women’s volleyball. Trajectory: steady. The Illini have their niche strengths, from volleyball to golf to tennis to gymnastics. What they don’t have, and haven’t had at any point in the last five years, is any input from football and men’s basketball. That’s a problem.

Illinois actually wins championships pretty consistently in those country club sports.

Sure, few people care outside the players’ relatives but they are championships nevertheless.

Isn’t that the goal? Or is it revenue?

With the enormous sums the university is receiving every year, (particularly the windfall from BTN) wouldn’t it make sense to spend some money on bringing in the best possible talent in these minor sports and lure them in by paying big bucks?

I mean, big bucks in these minor sports might be $150,000 to $200,000. Offer the best coaches out there $300,000 and build yourself a program. I think they kind of did that with the new softball coach.

Hire the best. Pay them double. Compared to salaries in FB and BB, it wouldn’t really move the needle that far in the overall budget.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT