ADVERTISEMENT

Pablo's Mexican Grill (Cedar Falls)

McLovin32

HR Legend
Feb 1, 2008
Over the years multiple people mentioned Pablo's as a great burrito place. I remember my UNI friends always saying it was way better than Panchero's back in the day. I had never tried it until about a year ago. It was.....bland. Everything about it was insanely bland. I had to cover it in hot sauce to really get much flavor there. I decided to try it again today thinking that maybe it was just an off day for them the first time I tried it, and because the Panch up here is awful. Annnnd guess what? It was crazy bland again.

Cedar Valley folks, has it always been like this? Did it used to be better? I have a difficult time believing they could be open for this many years selling such a bland product. I think I'll stick to burritos solely from food trucks up here now/rant

Over the years multiple people mentioned Pablo's as a great burrito place. I remember my UNI friends always saying it was way better than Panchero's back in the day. I had never tried it until about a year ago. It was.....bland. Everything about it was insanely bland. I had to cover it in hot sauce to really get much flavor there. I decided to try it again today thinking that maybe it was just an off day for them the first time I tried it, and because the Panch up here is awful. Annnnd guess what? It was crazy bland again.

Cedar Valley folks, has it always been like this? Did it used to be better? I have a difficult time believing they could be open for this many years selling such a bland product. I think I'll stick to burritos solely from food trucks up here now/rant
I loved it when I lived in CF. Haven’t had it in over 10 years though. You are 1000% correct about the Panchero’s there, that place is nasty, and I like Panchero’s.

I loved it when I lived in CF. Haven’t had it in over 10 years though. You are 1000% correct about the Panchero’s there, that place is nasty, and I like Panchero’s.
Yeahhh, I love Panch too but the one here is just a shithole that's always out of half their toppings. I learned very quickly that Panch is not an option up here.

And then I feel like Pablo's quality has had to come down because I don't think anyone could eat that and be like "Holy cow that's great!" I'm not a picky/finicky eater AT ALL, but their burritos are just not good.

Its the covids in your tongue, then. Try adding a little black pepper and see if that fixes it.
200w.gif

Yeahhh, I love Panch too but the one here is just a shithole that's always out of half their toppings. I learned very quickly that Panch is not an option up here.

And then I feel like Pablo's quality has had to come down because I don't think anyone could eat that and be like "Holy cow that's great!" I'm not a picky/finicky eater AT ALL, but their burritos are just not good.

200w.gif
I’ve honestly only had their tacos with their spiciest salsa. Loved them. I’m going to have to stop there the next time I’m in CF.

It’s been years since I’ve had it and it was never bland that I recall, sometimes it was even approaching too hot and I have a high tolerance. This was back in the early days before the original founder died in a car crash. Pretty sure the salsas were made daily and recipes were rotated often- I’d always ask the guys behind the counter which one was the best.

Reactions: McLovin32
Wow, it's still around? It's probably been close to a decade since I last had it and also found it better than Panchero's. It was as good as the original Panchero's way way back in the day. I'll still have Panchero's now and then here in North Liberty, Chipotle opened up nearby, tried it, didn't care for it. Do like Estela's for a burrito over Panchero's though.

Reactions: McLovin32
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT