ADVERTISEMENT

Pac 12 eliminating Divisions - will the big ten follow?

notlongago

HR Heisman
Jul 28, 2012
Would probably hurt the hawks chances of getting to the Big Ten Championship game (but if you're not winning it, who cares?), and wouldnt get to hang the division "champ" banner, but makes a lot of sense to send the best 2 teams regardless.

On the whole it is good for these conferences. There have been far too many walkovers (present company included) where it should be the marquee game of the season. Yes it will mean that we get some rematches but where’s the harm in that, really?

Its hard to even argue the divisions were sending the best team in the division. Oftentimes the division winner in the West was decided based on who they got to avoid playing in the East.

The B1G West hasn't really been carrying its weight so it would not surprise me. Would suck for Iowa. Schedule got a lot easier once East, West divisions formed. Plus I like playing Wisconsin, Nebraska, Northwestern and Minnesota every year. Don't really care about Rutgers, Maryland and Indiana. So the fact we could play those teams just as much as our border rivals would stink.

I do not like the idea of playing the bastard teams (i.e., not legitimate Big 10 teams; you all know who they are), plus losing out on your rivalry games.

but as far as having a true champion, I have to agree with it, and I fully expect all other Power 5 conferences will follow suit. It does make sense in that regard,but I would just as soon get rid of the illegitimates.

You guys realize this direction would **** Iowa and the rest of the west, right?

No thank you. Divisions aren't perfect, but it's a lot better than the inevitable ****ery that will happen when a team gets to walk through the bottom 9 of the conference into the CCG since the schedules are made years out.

Reactions: Ronman and F5n5
I would much rather see the Big Ten add 2 teams and then go to 4 divisions.
unless the Big Ten is going to a 13 game conference schedule... I don't like the idea of removing divisions.. at all.

what is it called ? a reactionary? is that the word for somebody who wants to go back to the very old way (i.e., ten teams inthe conference and no divisions)

I mean, I am the kind of guy who wants to see 20 teams in MLB and no designated hitter, if you see what I mean.

Miss me with the "two best teams" talk. Best does not mean deserving.

If they were really the best, they wouldn't lose the games that would get them in the championship.

This absolutely sucks as a Hawkeye fan.
People act as if the title games are always blowouts.
Iowa vs MSU was decided in the last seconds.
Wisky had PSU down big and lost late.
Even NW was hanging with the Buckeyes for awhile.
TOSU beat Mich like a thousand in a row til last year and now we will probably get back to back blowouts most seasons with Mich vs Bucks. ...oh joy.

There is absolutely no reason for the Big Ten to change their divisions.
This is the true acid test for Warren. Stand your ground, Commish.

TOSU beat Mich like a thousand in a row til last year and now we will probably get back to back blowouts most seasons with Mich vs Bucks. ...oh joy.

I don’t see much changing until conference realignment is finished.

1. imo more often than not the ccg match up was the right one. not always but usually.
2. unless im missing something, eliminating the divisions isn’t going to make a difference to the scheduling problem in any case assuming that we aren’t going to 13 game conference schedule.

Miss me with the "two best teams" talk. Best does not mean deserving.

If they were really the best, they wouldn't lose the games that would get them in the championship.
Best should mean most deserving. Should it have been Hawks vs Mich or OSU vs Mich Rd2 last year? If you pick the former, you're simply being intentionally obtuse.

• Angry
Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Best should mean most deserving. Should it have been Hawks vs Mich or OSU vs Mich Rd2 last year? If you pick the former, you're simply being intentionally obtuse.
How so? OSU had their chance the week before and couldn't get it done. Tough shit.

We shouldn't reward teams for hypothetical greatness. If we did, why even bother playing the games? You could just pencil Bama and OSU in the title game every year.

Would probably hurt the hawks chances of getting to the Big Ten Championship game (but if you're not winning it, who cares?), and wouldnt get to hang the division "champ" banner, but makes a lot of sense to send the best 2 teams regardless.

We have uneven divisions to protect rivalry games. Until they get rid of that protection there's no way to ensure the top 2 or even 2 of the top 3 teams make it to Indy.

Way too many teams to ensure 2 best(or most deserving) teams go to Indy...

You can't really think the divisions are even....

Reactions: blhawk and rrdd2021
1. imo more often than not the ccg match up was the right one. not always but usually.
2. unless im missing something, eliminating the divisions isn’t going to make a difference to the scheduling problem in any case assuming that we aren’t going to 13 game conference schedule.
Indeed, completely pointless. Shame we have corrupt morons running pretty much everything these days :(

How so? OSU had their chance the week before and couldn't get it done. Tough shit.

We shouldn't reward teams for hypothetical greatness. If we did, why even bother playing the games? You could just pencil Bama and OSU in the title game every year.
That's the beauty of this system, you wouldn't be rewarding hypotheticals, you'd be rewarding actuals.

Objectively Iowa was probably the 5th best team in the conference last year. Michigan, Ohio state, Michigan state, and Wisconsin (had to play Michigan in regular season) were all better. But Iowa went to the championship game due to winning the west. That’s why teams in the East (the big money teams) want to scrap divisions.

Reactions: nbanflfactory
what is it called ? a reactionary? is that the word for somebody who wants to go back to the very old way (i.e., ten teams inthe conference and no divisions)

I mean, I am the kind of guy who wants to see 20 teams in MLB and no designated hitter, if you see what I mean.
It's called - "Everything Needs to be Fixed, so we must Change it"

I think this may actually backfire on the Big Ten when the CFP expands. With divisions if you have an undefeated tOSU as the East Champion and a 2 loss Wisconsin as the West Champion a one loss Michigan would be in the expanded CFP. Without divisions tOSU and Michigan play and if Michigan loses they are left out of the CFP and the Big Ten only gets 1 team in.

I think this is a mistake with an expanded CFP, with the current 4 team model it makes sense to eliminate divisions as the chances of getting 2 teams in are slim.

Meh - just look at last year. What do you do....put Mich vs tOSU in the championship game? They'd just played and Mich won. If they play again and tOSU wins, does that make much sense?

Shrug....any plan you come up with will have the same issue: unbalanced regular season schedules. Whether it's due to divisions or just the fact that there's too many teams for round robin, you'll always have teams that had easier schedules.

I'm most interested in protecting the rivalry games. Beyond that, it's all smoke and mirrors anyway.

Reactions: Frosty7130
Subjectively, Iowa was probably the 5th best team in the conference last year. Michigan, Ohio state, Michigan state, and Wisconsin (had to play Michigan in regular season) were all better. But Iowa went to the championship game due to winning the west. That’s why teams in the East (the big money teams) want to scrap divisions.
FIFY - unless the teams play all play everyone multiple times in series type play, it's all a guessing game. You have the unbalanced schedules. You have the "any given Saturday" effect. Who knows? You think Iowa was 5th best, but it's a subjective opinion.

Don't like the idea of rematches. I get that with the crossover games it can happen, but IMHO it cheapens the regular season. We beat you three weeks ago, but if you beat us now, then it means WAY more.
I get it; win again, but just sayin.

Scrap the division fine. But try to keep the schedules based on rivalries/geography so the stands are filled and the fans are engaged.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Last year, Iowa would not have played in the championship, but looking back to 2017, I don't really see the championship matchups having been any different. The West champ had a better or equal record to #2 in the East, and they always had lost to the East champ already. Really what would affect this is the underlying scheduling with the possibility of playing more East teams than now.

Meh. The Pac 12 is more desperate than the Big Ten.

In all honesty, how often was the Big Ten truly deprived of having the "two best teams" in its title game?.........

Regardless of the answer, it's not enough to warrant getting rid of divisions simply because others are experimenting with it, or suggest that it's a good idea (which it's not).

Last year, Iowa would not have played in the championship, but looking back to 2017, I don't really see the championship matchups having been any different. The West champ had a better or equal record to #2 in the East, and they always had lost to the East champ already. Really what would affect this is the underlying scheduling with the possibility of playing more East teams than now.
Maybe Iowa could get purdue off their schedule for a few seasons since they can't seem to figure them out.

If they get rid of divisions then just get rid of the Big Ten Championship game as well. I don't need to see a rematch of Ohio State vs Michigan every damn year. Even though the West had not won a BTC yet it still felt like a true championship game, the best of the West vs the best of the East and now it will turn into the top 2 teams in the conference playing each other.

If you get rid of the divisions then just reward the team that was able to survive and finish 1st place. I would hate to see (for example) Ohio State beat Michigan to win the regular season and then something stupid happens and Michigan happens to win the "Championship game" to take the crown. To me if you can manage to get through a regular season and finish with the best record in the conference then that's our champion.

Wow, I must be in the minority here, but I am in favor of getting rid of the divisions. I’m sick of going 6+ years without seeing Ohio State or Michigan in Kinnick. That’s what Big 10 football is. Why people are in favor of a weaker and more boring schedule every year is a mystery to me. When Iowa has a team worthy of competing for the conference championship, they will, just like they did in 2009, 2004, 2002 and all the other pre-division seasons when Iowa had great teams AND played a great schedule. Hoping to skate by through a typical B1G West schedule to get one shot at a powerhouse for the conference championship is weak sauce, and the results would frequently be similar to what we saw last year.

Big ten west is a joke.

I would rather they get rid of the West/East and every 2-4 years realign the divisions with an emphasis on evening out the strength.

Reactions: mustang_hawk
Objectively Iowa was probably the 5th best team in the conference last year. Michigan, Ohio state, Michigan state, and Wisconsin (had to play Michigan in regular season) were all better. But Iowa went to the championship game due to winning the west. That’s why teams in the East (the big money teams) want to scrap divisions.
Maybe 6th best....

Meh - just look at last year. What do you do....put Mich vs tOSU in the championship game? They'd just played and Mich won. If they play again and tOSU wins, does that make much sense?

Shrug....any plan you come up with will have the same issue: unbalanced regular season schedules. Whether it's due to divisions or just the fact that there's too many teams for round robin, you'll always have teams that had easier schedules.

I'm most interested in protecting the rivalry games. Beyond that, it's all smoke and mirrors anyway.
Why not? That's what the cfp and sec do ;)

ADVERTISEMENT