ADVERTISEMENT

PAC 12 now rethinking?

Rethinking that they could start at Thanksgiving or January as opposed to March. They’re trying to drag us with them now too- this is horrible news. We’ll be playing JV ball with the ultimate JV conference.

There’s no coincidence this popped today.

Rethinking that they could start at Thanksgiving or January as opposed to March. They’re trying to drag us with them now too- this is horrible news. We’ll be playing JV ball with the ultimate JV conference.

Agreed. The cancel folks are not going to roll over and play dead. There is absolutely nothing that makes playing in the winter more safe than playing this fall.

Wonder how those conversations go.

LS-Thanks Kevin for taking the designation of being most incompetent commissioner away from me.

KW-Could you tell me your secret for staying employed? I may need to use those strategies.

LS-Well you're at a disadvantage, people actually care about football in your conference.

Last edited:
Reactions: DavidHawk324
Well Barta just stated he is not aware of any vote and that it would take a miracle to get started in October. So if both conferences start around Thanksgiving, at least at the end there could be some "bowls" for the top teams to be paired with. I am sure Petras would not mind going back to play in California where he is from.

Iowa vs Oregon

Iowa vs USC

Iowa vs Washington

would be okay matchups at the end. Just don't make it Iowa vs Cal.

Well Barta just stated he is not aware of any vote and that it would take a miracle to get started in October. So if both conferences start around Thanksgiving, at least at the end there could be some "bowls" for the top teams to be paired with. I am sure Petras would not mind going back to play in California where he is from.

Iowa vs Oregon

Iowa vs USC

Iowa vs Washington

would be okay matchups at the end. Just don't make it Iowa vs Cal.
It's football, so I wouldn't be mad, but playing with the Pac 12 makes it feel more like a JV season after the Big boys play. Ugh. I wish the October rumors were true.

Reactions: hawkcub
It's football, so I wouldn't be mad, but playing with the Pac 12 makes it feel more like a JV season after the Big boys play. Ugh. I wish the October rumors were true.

After the 3 top teams in the PAC I get ya. Who the hell really wants to play Oregon State. Wooo hooo!

Remember that deal a number of years back where the two conferences were gonna pair up and play one game against each other for all teams? Then they just abandoned that like a year later.

Reactions: Legs94
For one year I wouldn't mind playing a season later with the PAC 12. The two conference champions could compete in the traditional Rose Bowl game. It wouldn't mean the same as playing in the playoffs for a national title, but for sentimental reasons, I'd be okay with the B1G and PAC starting January and playing the Rose Bowl in March. Something is better than nothing at this point.

Reactions: LinusPF and Ronman
For one year I wouldn't mind playing a season later with the PAC 12. The two conference champions could compete in the traditional Rose Bowl game. It wouldn't mean the same as playing in the playoffs for a national title, but for sentimental reasons, I'd be okay with the B1G and PAC starting January and playing the Rose Bowl in March. Something is better than nothing at this point.

You could get some decent matchups. The top 3 games or so. Below that not so much. Iowa vs USC was cool.

Whoever wins the "national title" will have an asterisk next to it.

You could get some decent matchups. The top 3 games or so. Below that not so much. Iowa vs USC was cool.

Whoever wins the "national title" will have an asterisk next to it.
I guess I was picturing both conferences playing eight games (maybe ten) within their conferences, followed by a conference title game, followed by a Rose Bowl, so we'd only be subjected to the best of both playing against each other in one final game of the spring. Ideally, we just start in five weeks with the rest of the country.

I guess I was picturing both conferences playing eight games (maybe ten) within their conferences, followed by a conference title game, followed by a Rose Bowl, so we'd only be subjected to the best of both playing against each other in one final game of the spring. Ideally, we just start in five weeks with the rest of the country.

I would think if teams ended up with winning record or even par they would match up teams between the two to have a "bowl' type game as a reward.

Or even have it as a 1 non-con game. Ohio State was supposed to play Oregon this year out there. I know Kirk don't like going out there but c'mon its a game.

If Big Ten has some teams completely opt out and Pac 12 does also, maybe we just create an ad hoc alliance for a season and we have a couple out of conference games to fill the voids left.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
Agreed. The cancel folks are not going to roll over and play dead. There is absolutely nothing that makes playing in the winter more safe than playing this fall.
No one wants to cancel everything. What they want is to move on from this in a safe way that won't jeopardize peoples lives. Is there a perfect way? No, but the more time that passes the more knowledge we have to either combat the virus and/or avoid catching it. These are complex issues with many moving parts so judgements shouldn't be rushed, imo.

Reactions: LinusPF

Is it more JV than playing the Big 12? My gut says no, but at least big 12 has 1 legit contender in Oklahoma.

No one wants to cancel everything. What they want is to move on from this in a safe way that won't jeopardize peoples lives. Is there a perfect way? No, but the more time that passes the more knowledge we have to either combat the virus and/or avoid catching it. These are complex issues with many moving parts so judgements shouldn't be rushed, imo.
Explain dorms being open.

Explain dorms being open.
I can't. I think it's a bad idea but I also understand that Universities are freaked out that they are going to go broke. Scott Galloway has some really interesting points on what schools are going through right now and what will happen to many of them. Good stuff if you get a chance to read his ideas.

I can't. I think it's a bad idea but I also understand that Universities are freaked out that they are going to go broke. Scott Galloway has some really interesting points on what schools are going through right now and what will happen to many of them. Good stuff if you get a chance to read his ideas.
Oh I know exactly what it’s about. Money.

the academics cared enough about their situation to have dorms open but they don’t really care for sports so they let them them fry.

it’s easy to destroy somebody’s passion, job, income, and future when it isn’t yours. A lot different when you have to decide if you want to burn your own house down.

look at the lines at California food banks and the explosion of homeless and stories of kids going hungry. We are at the point where the cure is worse than the disease. We know it’s the old and unhealthy that are at risk, as for the rest...you are probably getting close to the point where dying in a car accident is a bigger threat going by the odds.

it’s a travesty what the media has done to this crisis. In the beginning it was about not flooding hospitals. Now it’s shit yourself with every positive case and we are all going to die. Frankly I am sick of it.

the academics cared enough about their situation to have dorms open but they don’t really care for sports so they let them them fry.

it’s easy to destroy somebody’s passion, job, income, and future when it isn’t yours. A lot different when you have to decide if you want to burn your own house down.

look at the lines at California food banks and the explosion of homeless and stories of kids going hungry. We are at the point where the cure is worse than the disease. We know it’s the old and unhealthy that are at risk, as for the rest...you are probably getting close to the point where dying in a car accident is a bigger threat going by the odds.

it’s a travesty what the media has done to this crisis. In the beginning it was about not flooding hospitals. Now it’s shit yourself with every positive case and we are all going to die. Frankly I am sick of it.
I get it, it's frustrating. I lost my job and my wife and I's toy store is barely hanging on. That being said, I'll trust the experts on what is best moving forward. It worked in other countries, it can work here as well if we take the proper precautions.
I don't think the media is doing anything differently than they always do. They report on the major things going on in the country. There is nothing bigger right now than a hundred year pandemic.

Last edited:

One other thing, I don't think it is just about money. If it was, they wouldn't be canceling FB as it brings in millions. Perhaps someone more connected to college athletics can opine on the matter, but I think the hold up is because these are 'amateur' athletes. I'm sure the lawyers are being the ones holding it all up, but I certainly could be wrong.

I get it, it's frustrating. I lost my staff job and my wife and I's toy store is barely hanging on. That being said, I'll trust the experts on what is best moving forward. It worked in other countries, it can work here as well if we take the proper precautions.
I don't think the media is doing anything differently than they always do. They report on the major things going on in the country. There is nothing bigger right now than a hundred year pandemic.
I have read articles that say the countries that hammered lockdown hard are now exploding after opening back up.

Sweden is actually looking good lately.

IMO either a vaccine happens or we are walking towards herd immunity. the pace of that walk is the only variable.

I have read articles that say the countries that hammered lockdown hard are now exploding after opening back up.

Sweden is actually looking good lately.

IMO either a vaccine happens or we are walking towards herd immunity. the pace of that walk is the only variable.
We don't even know if herd immunity works at this point. Hopefully, the Asian man who caught C19 for the second time is an anomaly and not the norm.

Edit

If there is a country, S Korea seems to be the country to model after. Back in Feb, their numbers were exploding and then it almost halted. Now, they are a much more in sync country than the USA. Everyone wears masks there. Everyone.

Last edited:
We know how much B1G schools are losing (well 13of them). How much are Pac12 schools losing?

We don't even know if herd immunity works at this point. Hopefully, the Asian man who caught C19 for the second time is an anomaly and not the norm.

Edit

If there is a country, S Korea seems to be the country to model after. Back in Feb, their numbers were exploding and then it almost halted. Now, they are a much more in sync country than the USA. Everyone wears masks there. Everyone.
If herd immunity doesn’t work then neither will a vaccine.

I don’t consider it working if it means we can never attend sports again and school has to be done online bullshit. I will take my 99.99% chance of surviving the virus as a healthy individual.

most DII and DIII schools will go completely bankrupt if sports are never to be played again.

I get it, it's frustrating. I lost my job and my wife and I's toy store is barely hanging on. That being said, I'll trust the experts on what is best moving forward. It worked in other countries, it can work here as well if we take the proper precautions.
Sorry about your job and store. That just plain sucks. Hopefully you are not “trusting” yourself into financial ruin.

Sorry about your job and store. That just plain sucks. Hopefully you are not “trusting” yourself into financial ruin.
Thanks. We'll be ok. We aren't losing money on the shop and I've been able to line up freelance work for awhile.

They play it as education = essential and sports = not essential. It makes their motive look holier although we know its money. killing football gives them cover as to they "care". See they do care. Awwwwwwwwe. I am sure some of the U Presidents have a general dislike for mens football as it probably sucks away from other areas of focus on campus.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT