ADVERTISEMENT

PAC-12 players may opt out of practices & games until demands are met in legal, written contract

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Story from ESPN:

A group of Pac-12 football players from multiple schools penned a letter in The Players' Tribune threatening to opt out of fall camp and game participation unless their demands for fair treatment, safety regulations and concerns over racial justice for college athletes are met by the conference.

The letter is signed by Players of the Pac-12 and uses the hashtag #WeAreUnited to explain the group's concerns, saying, "Because NCAA sports exploit college athletes physically, economically and academically, and also disproportionately harm Black college athletes, #WeAreUnited."

A number of players also sent tweets of the letter and hashtag on Sunday.

Here is the letter:

Click on images for larger view:

EebpXBoVAAErVYl

EebpXBuUYAAsB3D

EebpXBtUwAAWJAM

From the ESPN article, there are some things I agree with:

The athletes leading this charge say they are being asked to play college sports in a pandemic without transparency and guarantees for their safety and without the ability to secure representation while being asked to sign documents that could serve as liability waivers.

The group is also asking conference commissioner Larry Scott, administrators and coaches to "drastically reduce excessive pay" and end performance bonuses in order to help preserve existing sports.

"There's not enough transparency about health risks, no uniformity to ensure we're all safe when we play each other, and no adequate enforcement infrastructure," the statement said. "NCAA sports has truly failed us, it doesn't enforce any health and safety standards. We believe a football season under these conditions would be reckless and put us at needless risk...."

"I love football," UCLA defensive back Elisha Guidry said in a statement. "I love football so much that I am willing to give it up if things are not done right and we are not in a safe environment. Every player that puts on these pads to play this game is a person with their own family, own friends, own passions, and own purpose that is greater than football. We want to play the game we love and have given so much of ourselves to, but we want to do it in a safe way."

Some things I disagree with include:

In addition to those financial requests, the student-athletes are demanding guaranteed medical expense coverage for six years after their college eligibility ends.

The group is asking the Pac-12 to distribute 50% of each sport's conference revenue evenly among athletes in their respective sports, to give six-year athletic scholarships and for the ability to transfer one time with impunity.

"This is important to me because I want to see the young men that are being exploited by the Pac-12 [and] NCAA have the right to earn money for their families," said Oregon safety Jevon Holland, an All-American and potential first-round pick in next year's NFL draft. "I want the safety of my peers' lives to be placed higher than the sport they play. If we are treated like employees then we should be compensated as such."

The FULL story: https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ers-show-unity-list-demands-letter-conference

Related Story, from the Associated Press:

Reports: Text to Pac-12 players encourages possible opt-out

By The Associated Press

AUGUST 1, 2020 — 11:06PM

A text message circulating among Pac-12 football players is encouraging them to opt-out of practices and games until they can negotiate protections and benefits related to health and safety, economic rights and the fight against racial injustice.

ESPN first reported the possible movement among players at multiple Pac-12 schools and The Athletic published the text invitation. The text says a public announcement, along with a list of demands, will be published Monday through The Players Tribune and social media platforms.

“Our goals is obtain a written contract with the Pac-12 that legally ensures we are offered the following protections and benefits." I

Listed are:

— Ensure safe play during COVID-19

— Fight racial injustice

— Secure economic rights and fair compensation

— Protect all sports

— Obtain long-term health insurance

The Pac-12 on Friday announced its plan to delay the start of the season to Sept. 26 and play only 10 conference games in an attempt manage potential disruptions from the COVID-19 pandemic. The states of California and Arizona, home to half the Pac-12 teams, have experienced some some of the worst surges in coronvirus cases over the last month.

The Pac-12 approved a plan that will allow teams in the conference to start 20 hours per week of team activities, including weight training, meetings and noncontact practices known as walk-throughs. Preseason practice in the Pac-12 is scheduled to start Aug. 17, but currently Southern California, UCLA and California are operating under local restrictions that would prevent their football teams from practicing.

“Neither the Conference nor our university athletics departments have been contacted by this group regarding these topics,” the Pac-12 said in a statement. “We support our student-athletes using their voices, and have regular communications with our student-athletes at many different levels on a range of topics. As we have clearly stated with respect to our fall competition plans, we are, and always will be, directed by medical experts with health, safety and well being of our student athletes, coaches and staff always the first priority. We have made it clear that any student who chooses not to return to competition for health and safety reasons will have their scholarship protected.”

Also on Saturday, The Washington Post reported on a meeting between player representatives from Southeastern Conference teams and the league's commissioner, Greg Sankey, and medial advisers. The Post obtained an audio recording of the meeting.

"For so much unknown in the air right now, is it worth having a football season without certainty?” an unidentified player asked.

Sankey responded: “Part of our work is to bring as much certainty in the midst of this really strange time as we can so you can play football in the most healthy way possible, with the understanding there aren’t any guarantees in life.”

LINK: https://www.startribune.com/reports-text-to-pac-12-players-encourages-possible-opt-out/571982982/

Last edited:
What a bunch of snowflakes!

I have an idea!

How about you just get a bunch of student loans and pay your ass through college like most normal kids do?
And don't forget to accept the shame of haven grown up with "Athletic Privilege".

What a bunch of bullshit!

By The Associated Press

A text message circulating among Pac-12 football players is encouraging them to opt-out of practices and games until they can negotiate protections and benefits related to health and safety, economic rights and the fight against racial injustice.

ESPN first reported the possible movement among players at multiple Pac-12 schools and The Athletic published the text invitation. The text says a public announcement, along with a list of demands, will be published Monday through The Players Tribune and social media platforms.

“Our goals is obtain a written contract with the Pac-12 that legally ensures we are offered the following protections and benefits." I

Listed are:

— Fight racial injustice

— Protect all sports

The Pac-12 on Friday announced its plan to delay the start of the season to Sept. 26 and play only 10 conference games in an attempt manage potential disruptions from the COVID-19 pandemic. The states of California and Arizona, home to half the Pac-12 teams, have experienced some some of the worst surges in coronvirus cases over the last month.

The Pac-12 approved a plan that will allow teams in the conference to start 20 hours per week of team activities, including weight training, meetings and noncontact practices known as walk-throughs. Preseason practice in the Pac-12 is scheduled to start Aug. 17, but currently Southern California, UCLA and California are operating under local restrictions that would prevent their football teams from practicing.

“Neither the Conference nor our university athletics departments have been contacted by this group regarding these topics,” the Pac-12 said in a statement. “We support our student-athletes using their voices, and have regular communications with our student-athletes at many different levels on a range of topics. As we have clearly stated with respect to our fall competition plans, we are, and always will be, directed by medical experts with health, safety and well being of our student athletes, coaches and staff always the first priority. We have made it clear that any student who chooses not to return to competition for health and safety reasons will have their scholarship protected.”

Also on Saturday, The Washington Post reported on a meeting between player representatives from Southeastern Conference teams and the league's commissioner, Greg Sankey, and medial advisers. The Post obtained an audio recording of the meeting.

"For so much unknown in the air right now, is it worth having a football season without certainty?” an unidentified player asked.

Sankey responded: “Part of our work is to bring as much certainty in the midst of this really strange time as we can so you can play football in the most healthy way possible, with the understanding there aren’t any guarantees in life.”

LINK: https://www.startribune.com/reports-text-to-pac-12-players-encourages-possible-opt-out/571982982/
Wow! Thats a pretty big plate to fill. Ensure safety from covid -19, how exactly do you ensure that? Fight racial injustice? Pretty broad term, and who gets to be the judge of when if ever that happens? Secure economic rights? Well that should be interesting. Protect all sports? This is at the option of the school, and not your God given right there Mr. athlete. Secure long term health care? How long term, exactly?
We're well on are way to the end of college sports now. I hope these folks will be happy when they get to pay for a college education. Too bad that many of these dumb asses would never even get into a decent college if it was based solely on their work, (or lack thereof), in the classroom....Someone has obviously put a bug in these guys ear that they have a voice in the bigger picture right now. I guess we'll see if thats true or if they are going to shoot themselves in the proverbial foot here....

By The Associated Press

Listed are:

— Fight racial injustice

— Protect all sports

Laughing my ass off at all of that. Did they get a junior high kid to write that list?

I'm sure all of these athletes have a well laid out plan on how the Pac10 can meet their demands.

Especially interesting is "protect all sports" or else they won't play. Which will lead to some sports probably being cut.

I'm sure all of these athletes have a well laid out plan on how the Pac10 can meet their demands.

Especially interesting is "protect all sports" or else they won't play. Which will lead to some sports probably being cut.
I assume they mean if they don't "Protect all sports" like say rowing, then even the football team won't play. Thats the only way this would have any leverage. Not that I think some possible high round NFL draft pick will really be willing to forgo his college career so that they can have a rowing team, but I think thats their bluff.....

If the players could actually organize and make a United stand, they actually have quite a bit of leverage. Think of all of the d1 programs that are in panic mode right now worrying about the football season being cancelled and how financially devasting it would be to their university. Now would be the perfect time for athletes to make demands and hold out. Not that it would ever happen, but.....

I assume they mean if they don't "Protect all sports" like say rowing, then even the football team won't play. Thats the only way this would have any leverage. Not that I think some possible high round NFL draft pick will really be willing to forgo his college career so that they can have a rowing team, but I think thats their bluff.....
Let all the kids that want to transfer, transfer today. Let all the babies sit there and wonder why they have nowhere to play now

Reactions: MVPFAN
If the players could actually organize and make a United stand, they actually have quite a bit of leverage. Think of all of the d1 programs that are in panic mode right now worrying about the football season being cancelled and how financially devasting it would be to their university. Now would be the perfect time for athletes to make demands and hold out. Not that it would ever happen, but.....
This seems like the time I would be least worried about meeting demands.....

Yeah, that's just it.

These NFL prospects want to hold out on their college season, then the vast majority of them can kiss their shot at the pros goodbye.

Good luck, indeed.....

I like the long term health insurance wrinkle. Many players’ bodies are permanently damaged from playing football. Perhaps they should have some type of long term plan for alumni. I’m not sure it’s feasible, but seeing the amount that coaches are making these days and the money the programs are bringing in, I’d guess it probably is.

Last edited:
Good for them. Really inspiring to see young people stand up and affect positive change. When Barry Alvarez reports that Wisconsin stands to lose $100 million if there is no college football this year... it means we are exploiting these student athletes.

And for those who respond with the argument of “Ohh ohh ohh what about the free tuition and cost of living!!!”

That’s just part of the racket. It’s free to go to school through high school, but then suddenly we charge people tens of thousands of dollars to go to college?

F that.

I just finally paid off my student loans from getting my degree from the University of Iowa. And it’s overpriced.

In the end, conferences are run by the member university Presidents and if push comes to shove, the welfare and future of 25-50,000 students will be far more important than the demands of 100 football and basketball players which would likely kill 16-25 other sports teams affecting 400-600 other students on campus. Be careful about making demands fellas!

By The Associated Press

Listed are:

— Fight racial injustice

— Protect all sports

I saw on the ESPN ticker they want 6 year scholarships and revenue sharing. Good luck with that.

Also, do these guys realize that if they start getting paid to play their scholarships may become taxable?

I saw on the ESPN ticker they want 6 year scholarships and revenue sharing. Good luck with that.

Also, do these guys realize that if they start getting paid to play their scholarships may become taxable?

a significant portion of athletic scholarships are taxable now. A friend’s son is on a D1 scholarship at a big D1 school and the feds tax the portion of the scholarship that covers room and board/meals. His son has to pay a few thousand a year in taxes on that. Since it is the IRS...Iowa athletes also have to pay these taxes now each year.

Good for them. Really inspiring to see young people stand up and affect positive change. When Barry Alvarez reports that Wisconsin stands to lose $100 million if there is no college football this year... it means we are exploiting these student athletes.
Not really. Where does all that money go? Yes some go to some overpaid coaches. Most of it goes to other student athletes and sports nobody cares about. All those kids sure aren't being exploited they are simply mooching off the football players and often time basketball as well.

by the way you forgot to mention top notch doctors top notch training facilities top notch food options probably top-notch tutors etc. they get a lot more than your average student don't kid yourself....

Reactions: LarryMullenJr.
a significant portion of athletic scholarships are taxable now. A friend’s son is on a D1 scholarship at a big D1 school and the feds tax the portion of the scholarship that covers room and board/meals. His son has to pay a few thousand a year in taxes on that. Since it is the IRS...Iowa athletes also have to pay these taxes now each year.

Never heard of that. Wonder why no players have ever mentioned that to me. I also wonder when the tax code changed as I didnt pay a dime in taxes.

Last edited:
Story from ESPN:

A group of Pac-12 football players from multiple schools penned a letter in The Players' Tribune threatening to opt out of fall camp and game participation unless their demands for fair treatment, safety regulations and concerns over racial justice for college athletes are met by the conference.

The letter is signed by Players of the Pac-12 and uses the hashtag #WeAreUnited to explain the group's concerns, saying, "Because NCAA sports exploit college athletes physically, economically and academically, and also disproportionately harm Black college athletes, #WeAreUnited."

A number of players also sent tweets of the letter and hashtag on Sunday.

Here is the letter:

Click on images for larger view:

EebpXBoVAAErVYl

EebpXBuUYAAsB3D

EebpXBtUwAAWJAM

Last edited:
Never heard of that. Wonder why no players have ever mentioned that to me. I also wonder when the tax code changed as I didnt pay a dime in taxes.

I think room and board are taxable. If they get paid, the entire scholarship would likely be treated as income.

room and board are taxable...do not know how long it has been like that...friend’s kid is in 3rd year. Many student athletes do appear to not know about it but it has been the law for many years apparently. Ask a CPA or tax lawyer...they should be able to confirm. Players may not have mentioned it or maybe are not even aware of it but it definitely is the law. My friend’s kid got the $1200 cash the feds gave away a few months ago because of the fact he has been paying taxes the last few years on the room and board portion of the scholly. The tax liability is a few grand each year.

Not really. Where does all that money go? Yes some go to some overpaid coaches. Most of it goes to other student athletes and sports nobody cares about. All those kids sure aren't being exploited they are simply mooching off the football players and often time basketball as well.

by the way you forgot to mention top notch doctors top notch training facilities top notch food options probably top-notch tutors etc. they get a lot more than your average student don't kid yourself....

Your response helped further my point that it’s all a racket. Just ask yourself... WHY?

Is it because of the want to encourage participation of athletics amongst college students? Or because of the want to profit from them?

You’re delusional if you don’t see it’s the latter.

Thos is really only an issue for the power 5 football teams.

all other conferences and levels of football don’t profit from it for the most part.

power 5 football players probably should be paid. They basically carry the entire athletic department.

if there is no football it’s going to be crazy watching universities cut $100,000,000 almost instantly. It’s why they have to play.

The athletes leading this charge say they are being asked to play college sports in a pandemic without transparency and guarantees for their safety and without the ability to secure representation while being asked to sign documents that could serve as liability waivers.

The group is also asking conference commissioner Larry Scott, administrators and coaches to "drastically reduce excessive pay" and end performance bonuses in order to help preserve existing sports.

"There's not enough transparency about health risks, no uniformity to ensure we're all safe when we play each other, and no adequate enforcement infrastructure," the statement said. "NCAA sports has truly failed us, it doesn't enforce any health and safety standards. We believe a football season under these conditions would be reckless and put us at needless risk...."

"I love football," UCLA defensive back Elisha Guidry said in a statement. "I love football so much that I am willing to give it up if things are not done right and we are not in a safe environment. Every player that puts on these pads to play this game is a person with their own family, own friends, own passions, and own purpose that is greater than football. We want to play the game we love and have given so much of ourselves to, but we want to do it in a safe way."

In addition to those financial requests, the student-athletes are demanding guaranteed medical expense coverage for six years after their college eligibility ends.

The group is asking the Pac-12 to distribute 50% of each sport's conference revenue evenly among athletes in their respective sports, to give six-year athletic scholarships and for the ability to transfer one time with impunity.

"This is important to me because I want to see the young men that are being exploited by the Pac-12 [and] NCAA have the right to earn money for their families," said Oregon safety Jevon Holland, an All-American and potential first-round pick in next year's NFL draft. "I want the safety of my peers' lives to be placed higher than the sport they play. If we are treated like employees then we should be compensated as such."

The FULL story: https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ers-show-unity-list-demands-letter-conference

Last edited:
From the ESPN article, there is one thing I agree with:

The full story: https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ers-show-unity-list-demands-letter-conference
Problem is these players are not likely to be choir boys off the field. Are they willing to wear ankle monitors to prove how concerned they were off the field about their health?

Reactions: H4wkfan4life

And for those who respond with the argument of “Ohh ohh ohh what about the free tuition and cost of living!!!”

That’s just part of the racket. It’s free to go to school through high school, but then suddenly we charge people tens of thousands of dollars to go to college?

F that.

I just finally paid off my student loans from getting my degree from the University of Iowa. And it’s overpriced.

Life is about choices. It was your choice so quit your bitching.

Your response helped further my point that it’s all a racket. Just ask yourself... WHY?

Is it because of the want to encourage participation of athletics amongst college students? Or because of the want to profit from them?

You’re delusional if you don’t see it’s the latter.
How do the schools profit? If they been stacking profits, why are they worried about 1 year....they have tons of profit sitting around right? ;)

The NCAA can't guarantee they won't get covid just like nobody in the world can make that guarantee.
Goes to show just how worthless education is these days lol.

I assume none of these kids will be seen in bars, at parties etc if there are maskless attendees or if they're crowded?????

Compensated??? You get paid more than a bunch of workers do, kids these days annoy the crap out of me and are starting to make care less and less if college athletics implode!! Itd be a bummer but oh well.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83

Anybody ask mr Holland how this gets accomplished without even more cheating and scandals?

ADVERTISEMENT