ADVERTISEMENT

PAC-12 players may opt out of practices & games until demands are met in legal, written contract

Do not think that this will not spread.
Sport’s next pandemic is here and it is just as infectious.
It too will result in a bad outcome.....will guarantee no college football this year.

Reactions: hawkosx
They need to demand a basic mathematics class so they can learn the difference between revenue and profit.

Also, that demand is basically a big "**** you" to all other sports. I'm sure the football players would feel pretty nice with their 50% of the millions football brings in, while the soccer team gets about $20 per person after accounting for costs of running the team.

I'm all for players standing up for themselves, but this is unmitigated greed.

I remember back when I was a college athlete, I was thankful for the opportunity to be able to compete. I loved the competition and my teammates, and would have made great sacrifices to continue to be able to compete no matter what. I can't even phathom the idea of threatening to sit out of workouts or competition over a mild respiratory virus or unless my rigid list of social justice "demands" are met. I also can't imagine threatening to sit out because my coach wore a news network shirt that triggered me like Chubba Hubbard did.

These kids that threaten to sit out seem soft, entitled, spoiled, and lack that competitive heart or love for the game.

Good for them. Really inspiring to see young people stand up and affect positive change. When Barry Alvarez reports that Wisconsin stands to lose $100 million if there is no college football this year... it means we are exploiting these student athletes.

And for those who respond with the argument of “Ohh ohh ohh what about the free tuition and cost of living!!!”

That’s just part of the racket. It’s free to go to school through high school, but then suddenly we charge people tens of thousands of dollars to go to college?

F that.

I just finally paid off my student loans from getting my degree from the University of Iowa. And it’s overpriced.
Free? Ever heard of taxes? And what about those fees for lunches and other similar fees?

Good for the kids. Not sure I agree entirely with the letter...but it’s becoming apparent that these universities are going to make them play, who cares about health and safety. I used to be on the “no pay” bandwagon, but when AD’s are saying they will lose $100 million if a season is gone, these players are being exploited.

Frankly at this point I’m hoping for no college football just to see some of you snowflakes realize you don’t have quite as much power to impose the conspiracy theories you believe in on everyone else...

Good for the kids. Not sure I agree entirely with the letter...but it’s becoming apparent that these universities are going to make them play, who cares about health and safety. I used to be on the “no pay” bandwagon, but when AD’s are saying they will lose $100 million if a season is gone, these players are being exploited.

Frankly at this point I’m hoping for no college football just to see some of you snowflakes realize you don’t have quite as much power to impose the conspiracy theories you believe in on everyone else...

Wisconsin's AD generated $157M in 2018/19 and had expenses of $154M. When Alvarez said they would lose $100M he wasn't talking about having less profit, they could be in the hole $100M. How many schools are going to be willing / able to withstand that?

I think the players should have the option to opt out while staying on scholarship and not losing a year of eligibility. I agree with the insurance coverage issue as well. Revenue sharing, or any direct payment really, doesn't seem to be finacially feasible though.

Last edited:
From the ESPN article, there are some things I agree with:

The athletes leading this charge say they are being asked to play college sports in a pandemic without transparency and guarantees for their safety and without the ability to secure representation while being asked to sign documents that could serve as liability waivers.

The group is also asking conference commissioner Larry Scott, administrators and coaches to "drastically reduce excessive pay" and end performance bonuses in order to help preserve existing sports.

"There's not enough transparency about health risks, no uniformity to ensure we're all safe when we play each other, and no adequate enforcement infrastructure," the statement said. "NCAA sports has truly failed us, it doesn't enforce any health and safety standards. We believe a football season under these conditions would be reckless and put us at needless risk...."

"I love football," UCLA defensive back Elisha Guidry said in a statement. "I love football so much that I am willing to give it up if things are not done right and we are not in a safe environment. Every player that puts on these pads to play this game is a person with their own family, own friends, own passions, and own purpose that is greater than football. We want to play the game we love and have given so much of ourselves to, but we want to do it in a safe way."

Some things I disagree with include:

In addition to those financial requests, the student-athletes are demanding guaranteed medical expense coverage for six years after their college eligibility ends.

The group is asking the Pac-12 to distribute 50% of each sport's conference revenue evenly among athletes in their respective sports, to give six-year athletic scholarships and for the ability to transfer one time with impunity.

"This is important to me because I want to see the young men that are being exploited by the Pac-12 [and] NCAA have the right to earn money for their families," said Oregon safety Jevon Holland, an All-American and potential first-round pick in next year's NFL draft. "I want the safety of my peers' lives to be placed higher than the sport they play. If we are treated like employees then we should be compensated as such."

The FULL story: https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ers-show-unity-list-demands-letter-conference
Why are you against the 6 years of healthcare for the student athletes? We live in a country that has the highest healthcare costs in the world and many of these kids will have lingering issues after their playing careers caused from FB. I’d like to see them extend it to a lifetime for those in need of health insurance.

This article mentions that the "silence is deafening" from WSU. Compared to what, the University and AD getting into a Twitter battle with every person that has an opinion on what happened?
If you listen to the call between the coach and the player it's really not as bad as they make it seem. he doesn't threaten to pull his scholarship or anything, he just sets the expectation that if he's planning on sitting out the season for health reasons, he can't expect to be around his teammates or use the facilities as normal.

Pretty reasonable imo, can't have it both ways.

Not to mention that kid has basically ended his football career by publicly posting a private conversation between him and his coach. What coach is gonna take a kid who violates their trust like that? Not to mention Washington has a dual consent law where private conversations need to be approved by both parties in order to publicly release them.

Reactions: Auger
but it’s becoming apparent that these universities are going to make them play, who cares about health and safety. I used to be on the “no pay” bandwagon, but when AD’s are saying they will lose $100 million if a season is gone, these players are being exploited.

Nobody "makes" you play a college sport. You are given the opportunity to play. It is a privilage. This is all about perspective.

As for the money, that $100M is revenue not profit. Almost all of that money is spent on maintaining the athletic programs. It is spent on things like facilities, uniforms, travel, salaries for staff, etc.

Nobody "makes" you play a college sport. You are given the opportunity to play. It is a privilage. This is all about perspective.

As for the money, that $100M is revenue not profit. Almost all of that money is spent on maintaining the athletic programs. It is spent on things like facilities, uniforms, travel, salaries for staff, etc.

It's kind of mind blowing--but frankly not surprising considering the "knee-jerk, don't dig deeper" mentality in today's society--that people don't understand the money side better. They obviously think that Barry and the rest of the AD's in the country are just stacking up wads of cash on their desks and are only concerned that they won't be able to do that if football isn't played.
Yes, college sports have become too much of a "business", but then again, so has tuition. How do they think the buildings, professors, materials, etc. are paid for? Well, how do they think crew, field hockey, soccer, volleyball, etc. are paid for?
Hello? McFly?

Good for them. Really inspiring to see young people stand up and affect positive change. When Barry Alvarez reports that Wisconsin stands to lose $100 million if there is no college football this year... it means we are exploiting these student athletes.

And for those who respond with the argument of “Ohh ohh ohh what about the free tuition and cost of living!!!”

That’s just part of the racket. It’s free to go to school through high school, but then suddenly we charge people tens of thousands of dollars to go to college?

F that.

I just finally paid off my student loans from getting my degree from the University of Iowa. And it’s overpriced.

Of course tuition and room & board is a great benefit for athletes. You yourself said you just paid off your student loans. If you didn't have to pay for your own education, then who should have? I'm sure nobody would take advantage of a "free" college education to party on the taxpayer's dime. Every loser and cretin would go to college to drink and live for free. Great idea.......

F that.

Not to say it isn't overpriced, because it is, but did you get the name of the person who had a gun to your head and made you go? And did you find out why they wouldn't let you go to a community college first to save some cash?

Reactions: hawkosx and l.todd
They need to demand a basic mathematics class so they can learn the difference between revenue and profit.

Also, that demand is basically a big "**** you" to all other sports. I'm sure the football players would feel pretty nice with their 50% of the millions football brings in, while the soccer team gets about $20 per person after accounting for costs of running the team.

I'm all for players standing up for themselves, but this is unmitigated greed.
They may want to demand an accounting/finance class to learn that not mathematics.

Reactions: Hawk fan in Minn
Let them all sit out and welcome them back if they choose to forgo those ridiculous demands. If they don't want to play under the current rules, then goodbye. Then the athletes behind them will learn.

It would be interesting to see the PAC 12 put together football teams of non-football recruits. Basically like average Joes at the school. That would be fun to watch. And they might even play better defense than the regular PAC 12 teams :D

This article mentions that the "silence is deafening" from WSU. Compared to what, the University and AD getting into a Twitter battle with every person that has an opinion on what happened?
I didnt agree with the seemingly extremely woke "reporter". I was simply passing on the information that the kids have consequences for their demands

Do not think that this will not spread.
Sport’s next pandemic is here and it is just as infectious.
It too will result in a bad outcome.....will guarantee no college football this year.

You think it's not gonna spread like crazy from bars class and parties? Football is hardly the biggest concern!!!

Hospitals could be in trouble again before we get a few weeks into football

It's unlikely, but wondering if this might lead to ending the pretense of amateurism at the highest levels.
Universities returning to being universities and not pseudo farm teams for pro leagues. No schollies and no million dollar coaching staffs. No need for shenanigans trying to maintain academic eligibility.

Reactions: RIGHTWINGHAWK
They wont play? No schollie. BYE!!!!!

There are a ton of kids who would love to take their spots, I'm sure if push came to shove half the players would shut up and play vs being kicked to the curb.

You think it's not gonna spread like crazy from bars class and parties? Football is hardly the biggest concern!!!

Hospitals could be in trouble again before we get a few weeks into football
I doubt it. You think hospitals currently have a lot of healthy college age kids occupying their beds ?

Take away the old, obese, smokers, vapers, and drug addicts I would guess what you have left in the hospitals is next to nothing.

Why are you against the 6 years of healthcare for the student athletes? We live in a country that has the highest healthcare costs in the world and many of these kids will have lingering issues after their playing careers caused from FB. I’d like to see them extend it to a lifetime for those in need of health insurance.
They are getting a free education. They can use that to make a wonderful living using their brains.

I doubt it. You think hospitals currently have a lot of healthy college age kids occupying their beds ?

Take away the old, obese, smokers, vapers, and drug addicts I would guess what you have left in the hospitals is next to nothing.
My bad, didn't realize the hospital only serves college kids....

With the pandemic you really wouldn’t want to do that. The schools would open themselves up to lawsuits.
Most of this, "strike or boycott" has nothing to do with the pandemic, any more then a lot of the riots had anytjing to do with the death of Mr. Floyd. This is simply a power play to strike while the irons hot. Throw out a bunch of demands including the revenue sharing and see what sticks to the wall. For my money if they refuse to train or play if the conference gives the go ahead, then their in violation of there signed letter of intent and you'd have every right to pull their athletic scholorship and fill it with someone who wants it. Just IMHO of course....

They are getting a free education. They can use that to make a wonderful living using their brains.

It is far far from “free”!
These student athletes train for hours and hours each day year round, year after year.
They pay dearly, every day, year round by training lifting weights at 6AM, learning the playbook, running routes, doing walk throughs etc.
Sure it is a labor of love for some..But it is labor.
They work for it and the hours they put in are crazy.
And...their work results in many tens or hundreds of millions of “revenue” that pays coaches and administrators many millions also.
They are the ones in the arena taking a beating.
Far far from so called “free”

Reactions: littlez
It is far far from “free”!
These student athletes train for hours and hours each day year round, year after year.
They pay dearly, every day, year round by training lifting weights at 6AM, learning the playbook, running routes, doing walk throughs etc.
Sure it is a labor of love for some..But it is labor.
They work for it and the hours they put in are crazy.
And...their work results in many tens or hundreds of millions of “revenue” that pays coaches and administrators many millions also.
They are the ones in the arena taking a beating.
Far far from so called “free”

They get to work out in the greatest multi million dollar facilities with the greatest trainers in America. They get food and nutrition experts. They get an vietual internship into their future aspirations.

They get education, books, tutors and everything else they need to be successful.

When all this is labeled income, they will be shocked what they were getting for "free"

Reactions: doughuddl2
They get to work out in the greatest multi million dollar facilities with the greatest trainers in America. They get food and nutrition experts. They get an vietual internship into their future aspirations.

They get education, books, tutors and everything else they need to be successful.

When all this is labeled income, they will be shocked what they were getting for "free"

With that reasoning....you get get free income also!

If they didn't like the terms of the scholarship, maybe they should not have accepted them and not signed the Letter of Intent and gone elsewhere?

50/50 revenue split? Unbelievable. Jay Williams is wrong. Isn't this clown soon going to be hosting an ESPN radio show, replacing Mike Golic? If so, ESPN is gonna go further down the drain. What a joke.

Watch:

Reactions: amahawk
ADVERTISEMENT