ADVERTISEMENT

Paranormal Activity This Morning…

HawkeyeShawn

HR Heisman
Nov 9, 2001
This is sh!t that other people will tell me and I call BS. I’m not a big believer in ghosts. But I might be coming around…

This morning around 3am, our living TV turned on by itself. The wife (no pic) got up to check it out, wondering if one of our boys couldn’t sleep and came downstairs to watch TV. All the boys were sound asleep. TV was on and, you can’t make this sh!t up, the movie being played was MFing Poltergeist.

What makes it even more strange is that, when we turn on our TV, it doesn’t automatically start up a streaming service. It always goes to the menu where we have to select Hulu, Netflix, Prime, etc. After a long timeout, when you turn on the TV, it doesn’t simply pull up a service and start a show.

So the wife freaks out and shuts the power off the TV before I check it out further. I wanted to see what service it was on. Did some searching today and Poltergeist isn’t even streaming on any of the major services we use. The next airing is Jan 13th.

Do we need to get out of this house immediately? We’ve been here for 10 years. The previous owners were my in-laws. We know the family that had the house before them. The house is over 100 years old, but have never heard any stories of anyone dying here.

Anyone ever have something happen to them like this?

Our Samsung TV randomly turns on in the middle of the night, but always defaults to the home screen when doing so. Every few months we have to unplug it for an hour to reset the software. Never had any weird stuff like you just experienced, but I keep an open mind and believe the existence of ghosts is possible.

Just keep your eyes and ears open - be extra aware and maybe this will be a one-time thing.

Last edited:
We had a few toddler toys that used to go off in the middle of the night. Nothing like being woken up at 2 am by a toy cash register saying "I'm ready to play now" in a child's voice. I'd get up and chuck the things into the garage and try to go back to sleep.

The poltergeist thing is weird but if you have pretty tight lines to your neighbor it’s not uncommon for them to accidentally turn something on in your house.

Reactions: HawkeyeShawn
I'm a firm believer in the paranormal, but any time electronics "turning on" by themselves is involved in a scenario it makes me question it a bit. The moving playing is odd, but I have a firestick, and sometimes when I turn it on it immediately goes to the streaming service I was last using.

This is sh!t that other people will tell me and I call BS. I’m not a big believer in ghosts. But I might be coming around…

This morning around 3am, our living TV turned on by itself. The wife (no pic) got up to check it out, wondering if one of our boys couldn’t sleep and came downstairs to watch TV. All the boys were sound asleep. TV was on and, you can’t make this sh!t up, the movie being played was MFing Poltergeist.

What makes it even more strange is that, when we turn on our TV, it doesn’t automatically start up a streaming service. It always goes to the menu where we have to select Hulu, Netflix, Prime, etc. After a long timeout, when you turn on the TV, it doesn’t simply pull up a service and start a show.

So the wife freaks out and shuts the power off the TV before I check it out further. I wanted to see what service it was on. Did some searching today and Poltergeist isn’t even streaming on any of the major services we use. The next airing is Jan 13th.

Do we need to get out of this house immediately? We’ve been here for 10 years. The previous owners were my in-laws. We know the family that had the house before them. The house is over 100 years old, but have never heard any stories of anyone dying here.

At least your wife didn't get sucked through the screen, I don't think.

I'm a firm believer in the paranormal, but any time electronics "turning on" by themselves is involved in a scenario it makes me question it a bit. The moving playing is odd, but I have a firestick, and sometimes when I turn it on it immediately goes to the streaming service I was last using.
I've always been confused about where it takes me when I first turn it on. Sometimes it takes me to what we had playing 3 days before.

I've always been confused about where it takes me when I first turn it on. Sometimes it takes me to what we had playing 3 days before.
I think that applies to my TV if it’s turned on shortly after it’s turned off. Not the 3 days thing, but will go to whatever we were watching when we powered down. Our TV had been off for at least 4 hours. Turn it on this morning and the main dashboard to select streaming services was the only thing that came up.

Reactions: CarolinaHawkeye
Yeah, I always get confused by this too. I've been watching a game, turn it off, go to the gym, get back, turn it on, and the game starts back up. Then I realize that it's still in the 1st quarter, and paused when I turned off the unit.

Other times I turn it back on and it goes to the menu where I pick the service I want to use. It's very odd.

Quick question, how would a ghost be able to conjure up a movie that's being stored somewhere not connected to your TV?

Most cases this is correct. But when I was a teen I had a lot of odd things happen with electronics that aren't easily explained. I was working in our darkroom in HS one day developing film. Buddy was there with me. When you transfer the film to the canister the room has to be completely dark - no red light. So we're in this glorified closet rolling film and my buddy says "Dude, are you walking around?" And I tell him "nope, I'm still sitting next to you." It was weird, but you could sense someone else moving around the room. Next the radio we kept in there turns on at full volume. Now we weren't allowed to have a radio on campus but we kept this one in the darkroom for when we were working. But we kept the volume turned very low. And as an old radio it had a physical on/off button. So when it goes off my buddy freaks out. And I tell him "It's not a big deal, it's just my ghost friend." Well that didn't sit well with him. Once we were done loading the film he ran out of there and never worked in the darkroom again. I turned off the radio and continued with developing the rest of the rolls.

I have had my vitamins and supplements bottles rearranged. It's amusing. Moreover, once I was looking for a misplaced bottle. The next day that bottle was at the forefront of my shelf. Again, no malevolence, just funny. I've purchased a ir and high vision cam to see wtf is happening. Been too lazy to deploy but will in the next month.

Did you see it, too, or just the wife?

If you did, it's time to move.

If you did not, tell your wife to lay off the Ambien.

Quick question, how would a ghost be able to conjure up a movie that's being stored somewhere not connected to your TV?
That’s is an excellent question which I cannot explain. it’s why I this morning I searched to find where the movie was streaming. It’s not. IFC has it 1/13.

There's a poltergeist in my mechanical room. It's not malevolent but the room has a heavy feel. I've seen objects get tossed right by me with 0 intervention and 0 effort. Some of these are multiple pounds in weight. I just chuckle.
When I was an RA at college at a private dorm I lived on the top floor. I was the only one on that floor because the place had been remodeled and wasn't at full capacity. Anyway, lots of weird things happened on that floor and the other RAs hated doing rounds up there. I remember one day I was on the desk and the roving RA radioed down "On 4 south, doors are rattling, I'm running away." Most of the weird things happened on 4 south. The year before my suite-mate on that wing died in a car crash. And there was a long running history of a ghost named "Austin" in the dorm.
Anyway, doors banged, lights went on and off, all the regular stuff. But I got pretty used to it. One day I remember I was in my room up there and all the doors started rattling like someone was walking down the hall checking each one. I just said "Hey, cut that shit out, I'm not in the mood today!" and it stopped.
I had friends who would walk into their kitchenette and every drawer and cabinet would be opened. We all just treated it like it was normal after a while.

Your wife ever sleep walk? Sounds more likely

When I was an RA at college at a private dorm I lived on the top floor. I was the only one on that floor because the place had been remodeled and wasn't at full capacity. Anyway, lots of weird things happened on that floor and the other RAs hated doing rounds up there. I remember one day I was on the desk and the roving RA radioed down "On 4 south, doors are rattling, I'm running away." Most of the weird things happened on 4 south. The year before my suite-mate on that wing died in a car crash. And there was a long running history of a ghost named "Austin" in the dorm.
Anyway, doors banged, lights went on and off, all the regular stuff. But I got pretty used to it. One day I remember I was in my room up there and all the doors started rattling like someone was walking down the hall checking each one. I just said "Hey, cut that shit out, I'm not in the mood today!" and it stopped.
I had friends who would walk into their kitchenette and every drawer and cabinet would be opened. We all just treated it like it was normal after a while.
Lights flickering after renovations? Someone got rich somewhere

If your TV is connected to the internet somehow, I'd suspect a software update getting pushed - which tend to occur overnight (at least for my TV).

Lights flickering after renovations? Someone got rich somewhere
Not flickering. So we'd do rounds (walk every floor and the rest of the grounds) and sometimes a specific room on the 4th floor would be unlocked and the light on (light switch flicked up) and you'd go in and turn off the light and lock the door behind you. Then when walking out to check the back of the property you'd look up and the light would be back on. So you'd go up and the door would still be locked, but the switch was flicked up again. So you'd turn it off again and relock the door and as you're walking off the floor to go back down the steps the fire door on the other end would bang.
Seriously the one RA that wouldn't go up there anymore was a returning student. He was the 'old man' as he was in his mid-20s. Big time triathlete and weight lifter dude. But after getting chased off the floor once by doors slamming behind him he would always skip that floor.
The other odd thing about it was that wing was always darker than the others. But we actually counted and it had the same number of lights as all the other wings. Just ...darker.

Normally I would just suggest get used to it, and over time it isn’t a big deal.
However, 3am is the hour of the Devil, opposite of Jesus’s crucifixion. Add in Poltergeist (based on a true story). If something Happens again, I’d consider moving. Shit is going to go sideways if family can’t get sleep. The reason why the Catholic Church doesn’t want people going to psychic mediums. Evil forces can enter, and difficult to get rid of. I didn’t pay attention to this stuff either, until one day it happened, over, and over to the entire family. Our situation wasn’t evil. Ask your in-laws about this. They may know something.

ADVERTISEMENT