ADVERTISEMENT

Parents say students at Arizona school were told to remove MAGA gear, one was suspended...

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
PHOENIX – Parents at an Arizona high school are upset after school administrators demanded their children remove clothing and accessories that touted President Donald Trump's "Make America Great Again" logo.

Parents say some of the kids are now facing suspensions.

The students at Perry High School in Gilbert, which is part of the Chandler Unified School District, had come to school wearing the pro-Trump gear Friday. The day had been designated a spirit day with a "Party in the USA" theme.

A group of students showed up to school wearing red MAGA-themed hats and other clothing items. One student brought a Trump flag.

The students had no trouble until the lunch hour, said Heidi Jones, a mother of one of those students.

"I feel bad for these children. I don't agree with everything our president does or says, but I respect our country and I'll support these kids using their freedom of speech," she said.

Administrators were walking around campus asking anyone they saw wearing the gear to remove it, Jones said. She said the the kids complied.

'The whole situation was weird'

Just before 2:30 p.m., after school let out, the students gathered outside to take pictures wearing the gear and holding the flag, Jones said.

895ef995-eb35-4bee-8597-accd5ce95e6a-Picture.JPG

The students noticed the school's police resource officer taking photos of them and others wearing MAGA gear without their permission, Jones said. When the officer asked her freshman daughter, Logan, for her name, the girl refused to answer, questioning why he needed her name.

"I thought the whole situation was weird. They're out of school, so why are you coming up to her?" Jones said.

When the girl refused, the officer said she had been a part of a disruption all day, that no one was allowed to have a Trump flag, Jones said. She said he told her daughter to go to the office.

There, administrators asked her what her name was again. She responded that she wasn't going to answer any questions until her mother arrived, Jones said.

When Jones got to the school 10 minutes later, she found that the administration had suspended her daughter for 10 days.

"She came here today to support America, which is what your Spirit Day is all about. And now that she has refused to give her name, you're suspending her after she's complied with everything else?" Jones said.

Clothing considered 'offensive'

Jennifer Farris, another mom with a student in the group, gave a similar account to The Arizona Republic, saying assistant principals were among those asking the students to remove the items.

Farris also drove to the school after hearing her kids were being asked to remove the clothing.

According to Farris, within four minutes of her walking into the office, she was told by school officials to leave and that she would not be allowed on campus again.

"As soon as they realized I was protecting my daughter, they were immediately rude, dismissive and told me to get off the property," Farris said.

Farris said she was told officials considered the clothing "offensive, and that the kids were being disrespectful by wearing it'' and could face sanctions if they didn't comply.

Terry Locke, a school district spokesman, confirmed that one student was suspended but would not specify the reason other than that it was not related to the MAGA gear.

"As you know, federal privacy prevents schools from discussing student discipline. One student was disciplined for a matter not related to wearing Trump attire," Locke said.

He refused to comment further on any specific questions from The Arizona Republic regarding the incident.

Moms want public apology

Farris questioned whether the students faced a political backlash.

"I think it's because the faculty didn't agree with the kids' message to support their president and they don't want them to express their feelings," Farris said. "My kids are expressing freedom of speech on USA Day. They're allowed to."

Both moms have contacted the superintendent's office about the matter..

"I want a public apology from the school district and the administration for how they treated not only the parents but also the students. There's no reason these kids should've gotten in trouble at all," Farris said.

Jones agreed, noting that to her, the situation wasn't politically charged.

"They told me I was making this political and I told them this wasn't political at all. The fact is, if this was during a campaign situation, I would understand that her bringing this onto campus would be a distraction," Jones said. "However, this isn't political at all because he is already our president."

It is unclear what, if any, other sanctions were handed out besides the 10-day suspension.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/03/02/maga-hats-pro-trump-gear/3044138002/

Cult merchandise should not be allowed in schools. It doesn't matter the cult's mission statement, it doesn't need to indoctrinate our children in school

The devil doesn’t believe cult merchandise should be worn at school....that’s rich.

With that said, anything that causes a distraction probably needs to not be worn. But if they take MAGA gear away, they need to take all political gear away no matter who the candidate is.

I thought Trumpers were against virtue signaling. The school was just helping them out.

I am very familiar with this neighborhood/school. Me thinks there might be more to the story so will reseve judgement. This is in a very conservative minded area and the school district is very conservative/family oriented.

Reactions: your_master5
Why should a public school allow kids to wear offensive hate speech? Of course MAGA gear should be banned. No brainer.

Poor pingy gets triggered easily.

Yes...thinking hate speech should be banned in schools is obviously a sign I’m triggered. :rolleyes:

I’m thinking the only ppl triggered are those upset that they’re being told their bigotry will not stand.

Yes...thinking hate speech should be banned in schools is obviously a sign I’m triggered. :rolleyes:

I’m thinking the only ppl triggered are those upset that they’re being told their bigotry will not stand.

Clue for you: MAGA is not "hate speech" unless you hate America.

Clue for you: anything used to send a message to other ppl that they are hated or unwanted is hate speech.

You need counseling.

Me? So you think it’s ok for students in a school to wear clothing specifically to bully, harass, and spew hate on other students?

That’s messed up.

My opinion and your opinion of MAGA are both irrelevant. If it’s being used to bully, it should not be allowed. Period.

I am very familiar with this neighborhood/school. Me thinks there might be more to the story so will reseve judgement. This is in a very conservative minded area and the school district is very conservative/family oriented.

Usually is. If I was to hazard a guess might be other issues perhaps some bullying or warnings about other behavior distracting from class time.

Me? So you think it’s ok for students in a school to wear clothing specifically to bully, harass, and spew hate on other students?

That’s messed up.

My opinion and your opinion of MAGA are both irrelevant. If it’s being used to bully, it should not be allowed. Period.

Where is your evidence that they wore the clothes “to bully, harass, and spew hate on other students?”

Are you just inventing this narrative?

The Dems are returning to the GOP the love they gave to Obama, Trad.....nothing more, nothing less. Love for love. You should welcome it....can't you feel the warmth?

And that was payback for how Bush was treated, which was retribution for how Clinton was treated, which was retaliation for how Reagan was treated, and on and on and on.....

That’s messed up.

Wearing clothing to bully, that is funny.

For those of you supporting the MAGA clothing wearers, I guarantee you that their moms would piss you off to no end the other 98 percent of the time. They seem like jewels.
The kids learned a lesson. Mess with the bull, you’ll get the horns. As I tell everyone at work, no politics. It only leads to problems. This crew went looking for atttention, and now they are oppressed. :rolleyes:

Sounds like a great school, the school administrators don't even know the students names.
I don't know how large high schools are in Iowa but mine in Florida had over 2000 students. It is not beyond reason that an administrator would not know all of them.

Our local school district does not allow a student to wear anything with political commentary. If that school district has the same policy, it's on the students and not the administrators.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT